It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:36

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Rod socks?
Post 30 Nov 2020, 13:17 • #1 
Guide
Hi everyone,
Just curious about where people turn to buy rod socks for rods they build?
I have a found 1 option in Canada (Rod Builder Supplies), a 2 limited options on Etsy, and couple suppliers in the US (either 1 color or they have rod company names embroidered on the sock).

Let me know if you have any solid options that provide variety at a good price.

Thanks!
Jason

Re: Rod socks?
Post 30 Nov 2020, 13:55 • #2 
Sport
Try REC Components

Post 30 Nov 2020, 13:58 • #3 
Master Guide
Custom fly rod crafters

Post 30 Nov 2020, 14:00 • #4 
Piscator
I buy most of my rod socks from flyrodmkr on ebay.
i've had a few custom ones made as well, mostly from a couple of Clark's board members who have mentioned they take it on.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 01 Dec 2020, 06:28, edited 1 time in total.

Post 30 Nov 2020, 15:17 • #5 
Master Guide

I'd encourage you to sew your own. While it may take some skill and fancy equipment to make the professional looking ones with serged edges or such, making one that performs well and looks decent isn't all that hard. If you're crafty enough to wrap a fly rod you'll do just fine sewing a custom sock. Pictured is one example of my crude but effective socks. Just sew around the edges and then turn it inside out, like you're making a pillow case or bean bag, and then sew some lines in it to separate the rod sections. Since you don't need much fabric you can shop the cheap end pieces that they sell that aren't large enough to sew clothes from.

Post 30 Nov 2020, 16:37 • #6 
Guide
Coldpass! I think you may have just talked me into making my own!

Post 30 Nov 2020, 17:46 • #7 
Piscator
serged ends on fabric are very important

Post 30 Nov 2020, 18:43 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I have a daughter a sister in law and my mother in law who all have serious sewing skills and fancy sewing machines.I am an idiot.

Post 30 Nov 2020, 18:49 • #9 
Master Guide
For edges without a serger, you have options (here's a website I just found)
https://blog.treasurie.com/seam-finishe ... -a-serger/

For the part of the sock that will be the top, including the flap I fold the edges over and sew them, which is option three on the blog post above. But a rod sock lives an easier life than clothing, as it rarely if ever goes through a washer or dryer.

Post 30 Nov 2020, 19:10 • #10 
Guide
I have recently been very pleased with the quality and price of some custom socks I bought from an e__Y rod building store: calljmf

Post 30 Nov 2020, 19:33 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
The REC socks available from several of the roadbuilding supply houses are good. My sister-in-law now makes my socks, so I just have to buy fabric.

Post 30 Nov 2020, 19:49 • #12 
Piscator
ColdPass wrote:
For edges without a serger, you have options (here's a website I just found)
https://blog.treasurie.com/seam-finishe ... -a-serger/

For the part of the sock that will be the top, including the flap I fold the edges over and sew them, which is option three on the blog post above. But a rod sock lives an easier life than clothing, as it rarely if ever goes through a washer or dryer.

all fair, but for all my salt rods, they go through the washer (gentle), because I don't want to accumulate salt.

Post 30 Nov 2020, 19:53 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
So glad to see the make-your-own suggestion even though there are good retail sources mentioned. I got a bagful at the Bean's outlet store a long time ago and haven't needed one since. But I don't use them much anyhow. Large tackle shops are good to check for bargain stashes of such things, often leftovers from retail display items or manufacturer's samples.

But making them is a great way to go for high quality home-made rods . If I can sew in a straight line--although too lazy to do it anymore--anybody can. Way back when, I used a simple belt-driven singer that was "vintage" even in the 70s. My wife gave me a few tips and made a few more with her "newer" machine, a well cared for Elna, and eventually I tried that one. Once you can sew rod bags, you can make reel sacks and fly wallets just as easily.

If you have access to a fairly basic machine and someone to show you the basics, it would be a fun way to "finish" your rods. You can get your own labels and choose your fabric--new material of any pattern and type you like, or from something funky like your dad's old seersucker sport coat. Bowtie closure, of course.

Post 30 Nov 2020, 20:57 • #14 
Master Guide
custom fly rod crafters has a few types, the classic cloth does not have ties but it is a rather heavy almost canvas cloth that i like a lot

Post 30 Nov 2020, 21:23 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I’m in Ontario and I’ve ordered from Custom Fly Rod Crafters several time with no trouble. Obviously the exchange rate is not in our favour.

I keep meaning to learn to make my own but haven’t gotten around to it.

Post 30 Nov 2020, 22:22 • #16 
Master Guide
I just ask the wife to make them. Serged edges then turned inside out and those edges sewn down.
And if I buy her some flowers occasionally she embroiders rod details on the bag.

Post 30 Nov 2020, 23:32 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I've sewn my own, ten minute job with bolt ends from fabric department. It's good to know there are sources of ready made socks.

Post 01 Dec 2020, 03:38 • #18 
Guide
Just in case you guys didn't know Custom fly Rod Crafters and Flyrodmkr on the 'Bay are both Bob W. in Albuquerque.

Post 01 Dec 2020, 12:05 • #19 
Master Guide
Diane McCabe at Classic Flyfisherman makes all of my bags. She will sew to your specs (design and fabric type). Excellent service, reasonable prices:
http://www.classicflyfisherman.com/CUSTOM_ROD_AND_REEL_BAGS.htm

--Rich

Post 02 Jan 2021, 21:54 • #20 
Master Guide
If you’d like to support a small (literal mom & pop) business I’ll add a plug here for Brenda co-owner of the FlyFishingExtras shop on Etsy. She sews incredible flannel rod socks and reel covers, sold in sets or separately. Her husband Jim co-owns the shop and ties some of my favorite flies at very reasonable prices.

Post 05 Jan 2021, 18:14 • #21 
Master Guide
1+ for flyrodmkr / Custom Fly Rod Crafters

Excellent quality, good price, very fast delivery and a plethora of sizes/options depending on desired length, # of segments, etc.

Post 05 Jan 2021, 21:51 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Diane at Classic Flyfisherman is fantastic and a pleasure to do business with. Top Notch!

Post 22 Apr 2021, 17:02 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
DaveS wrote:
If you’d like to support a small (literal mom & pop) business I’ll add a plug here for Brenda co-owner of the FlyFishingExtras shop on Etsy. She sews incredible flannel rod socks and reel covers, sold in sets or separately. Her husband Jim co-owns the shop and ties some of my favorite flies at very reasonable prices.

+1 for this...I just ordered a sock for my FF86...great folks to deal with.

Post 22 Apr 2021, 17:54 • #24 
Guide
I used to use the no-flap bags from REC but I don't see them on their website right now. Landmark Components is another source for rod socks with flaps and ties (http://www.landmarkflyrodtubes.com/rod_socks.htm) and I have used them in the past. I have also used the flap and tie versions from Custom Fly Rod Crafters (https://www.flyrodcrafters.com/4pc-cloth-rod-sock-standard/), but I prefer the Classic no-tie version (https://www.flyrodcrafters.com/4pc-cloth-rod-sock-classic/). By far however, I prefer the stiff cotton duck no flap/no tie version with leather hang tab sold by Classic Sporting Enterprises (CSE). Unfortunately they do not have a website and all orders are via phone or perhaps email now.

Issue for us in Canada is the sky-high shipping rates these days - I can live with the exchange rate. To make it worth the shipping you need to buy a bunch at one time.

Post 12 Feb 2022, 15:43 • #25 
Master Guide
Check out seller named copperjohn on eBay.

Really love these rod bags too.

Excellent communication and service.
Custom length with leather hang tag
choose your number of pockets
color options
quick turnaround / excellent customer service
made in USA

Last edited by Guadalupe Bass on 12 Feb 2022, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply