It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:00

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Rod socks?
Post 12 Feb 2022, 17:38 • #26 
Guide
I've been impressed with the socks I've purchased from Clear Creek Fishing Gear.

Wonderful customer service and their rod tubes are as stout as they come as well. I believe they are based out of Iowa.

Post 24 Feb 2022, 10:53 • #27 
Guide
I've bought some from "calljmf" on eBay and really like them. I don't know how to find a specific seller on eBay, but if you search for "Fly Rod Sock," his is one of the first to come up.

Made in the USA and reasonably priced (~$10 each). They are dark green flannel (he claims color may vary) with a 4" cover flap and sewn in tie-down cords.

The ones in stock are for 2 piece rods for 7'6", 8'0", 8'6", 9'0' & 9'6" rods, but he claims "custom orders welcome."

Post 02 Mar 2022, 12:43 • #28 
bulldog1935 wrote:
ColdPass wrote:
For edges without a serger, you have options (here's a website I just found)
https://blog.treasurie.com/seam-finishe ... -a-serger/

For the part of the sock that will be the top, including the flap I fold the edges over and sew them, which is option three on the blog post above. But a rod sock lives an easier life than clothing, as it rarely if ever goes through a washer or dryer.

all fair, but for all my salt rods, they go through the washer (gentle), because I don't want to accumulate salt.

Always rinsed my saltwater rods after fishing but never thought to wash the socks. Good advice, thanks.

Post 19 Mar 2022, 20:34 • #29 
Sport
Another recommendation for copperjohn on eBay. They are somewhat heavyweight and I prefer ones without a flap.

Post 17 Apr 2022, 10:59 • #30 
Guide
Another vote for copperjohn. I've also used Fly Rod Crafters. Great quality and service from both.

Post 17 Apr 2022, 18:30 • #31 
Sport
I will add a vote for Bob at fly rod crafters. Top quality and I think he still has free shipping on the bags.
Chris

Post 18 Apr 2022, 08:42 • #32 
I also sew my own and I am terrible at sewing. It is pretty easy to make a nice looking rod sock using nicer material and extremely easy to make an ugly but fully functional one (which is most of the ones I make). You can make them for pennies and any size you want. Thrift store pillow cases are excellent to start with as they are already half way done. I also use dollar tree scarfs when I need a longer sock for two piece rods.

Post 18 Apr 2022, 09:55 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
Glad to see another make-your-own comment. . Having said that, I'm sure commercial sources named are convenient options. Another is to go to any local shop, or just a home with a handpainted "custom sewing" sign and ask them to make exactly what you want. If they can't so a rod bag, they can't sew.

Post 18 Apr 2022, 13:56 • #34 
Guide
I also like John Fleishers (calljmf) rod socks on EBay , he use to offer quite a few fabric patterns , but now at least for the moment , he does only the green flannel fabric that we see in the current auctions , regardless , I find them to be a very nice quality , fair price , and great all around , at least for my needs…

Post 18 Apr 2022, 20:56 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
I like to make my own, but if I can't the rod bags by Clear Creek (sold from a variety of retailers) and the options at Custom Fly Rod Crafters have been solid options. Both are a bit plain, but they're well made.

Post 22 Jun 2022, 15:20 • #36 
Master Guide
rukshandmadenw is another eBay vendor that does nice work. They made me a lovely flap-and-tie bag for a Fenwick FS70-4, and a plain but pleasing straight-pull sock for a Phillipson EF96, after Rick’s Rods seamstress retired. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Post 22 Jun 2022, 18:03 • #37 
Sport
So many excellent resources for rod bags......I gotta start building more rods!!!

Post 23 Jun 2022, 10:07 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
Even though I've made more than a few of my own and purchased socks from other sellers, I'm not a fan of heavy duck for rod socks which is what some makers offer.

Because I was lazy and didn't have the fabric, I recently purchased a custom rod bag from an eBay seller named rukshandmadenw for a bait casting rod.

The particular rod I was having this sock made for was coming from Japan so I couldn't provide him the dimensions he wanted when I purchased it and he wouldn't make it until I did. He put it in back order status.

End result, when the rod arrived and I later received the rod sock, it was perfect and the fabric is light weight and the color I wanted.

Post 11 Mar 2023, 21:28 • #39 
Sport
Looking for contact info for Copperjohn. Had purchased a rod sleeve which was excellent and was going to purchase a couple more but can no longer find him on e-bay. Anyone know how to contact or where he's selling now?

Post 11 Mar 2023, 22:34 • #40 
Administrator
You should have eBay transaction information for the last two years. The contact information should be there.

That said, eBay sellers come and go. It is up to the seller to make themselves available to customers. If they choose not to, then find another seller.

Tom

Post 18 Mar 2023, 08:41 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
Certainly plenty of options. Sewing your own sounds attractive. My question is what material. What about wicking cloth? Can cloth scratch rod varnish? Seems like a gauze like material would provide ventilation for drying. Most of the time rod is in tube so protected u less drying after an outing.

Thoughts?

Post 01 Apr 2023, 10:11 • #42 
Master Guide
As Tom suggested, I had reached out to copperjohn thru eBay, using previous transaction hx, a couple months ago and haven’t heard back.

Post 20 Apr 2023, 06:38 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
I've got several rod bags in stock. I do also stock Clear Creek bags but I have not gotten them on the site yet. I stock rod tubes as well.

https://www.graywolfrods.com/rod-bags-tubes

Post 20 Apr 2023, 06:45 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
Your current curtain material will make excellent rod bags.

Post 08 May 2023, 17:41 • #45 
I just got 2 bags from callJMF on the 'bay and they far exceeded my expectations, which a certain Chinese brand left pretty low. I have a blank in the mail and I'll be ordering another from John for that one, too. They're perfect for what I want with my rods.

Post 25 May 2023, 15:34 • #46 
Fly Rod Socks
https://www.fishoncustomrods.com/collec ... -rod-socks

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply