It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:23

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Oct 2020, 12:55 • #1 
Hi All,

I picked up a Phillipson Master G-MF76 as a winter restoration project. It needs to be stripped and repainted. Does anyone have guidance on best paint brand and closest matching color to original? I’ve worn myself out internet searching without any success :-)

Thanks for any info
Ernie

Post 14 Oct 2020, 13:24 • #2 
Master Guide
Not an expert on Phillipson's but have a few mostly cane. I'm sure someone will respond. Pictures if you have some might help. Bruce

Post 14 Oct 2020, 14:45 • #3 
Administrator
A forum search will turn up >500 posts on painting blanks.

You could have a paint store put your rod under their color scanner. The store might be able to prepare a custom mixed spray can of a matching color. However, in the 50-ish years since your rod was originally painted, the color has likely faded. You might find a less faded section under the reelseat or grip (if your rebuild goes that far).

For that matter, there is no requirement to paint the rod the original color. Use whatever color you wish.

I don't know of any sources for a replacement label.

Tom

Post 14 Oct 2020, 14:58 • #4 
Thanks Tom! Was trying to put it back as close to original color as I could. I have. A friend who pretty talented so I’m gonna see if he can replicate the logo once done. He also does a lot of vinyl work so he might be able to make me a stencil. Or that section isn’t too bad I might try to save it. Trying to download some pictures but my files are too large.

E.

Post 18 Oct 2020, 10:52 • #5 
Master Guide
Rick’s Rods (http://www.ricksrods.com/) is the current owner of Phillipson, including a bunch of parts and such. Perhaps they can help you with labels, colors, etc?

Post 18 Oct 2020, 11:37 • #6 
Thanks ... I’ll give Rick’s a shout.

Post 29 Oct 2020, 15:02 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Don’t recall what that blank looks like with the paint removed. If it was a brown/tobacco color resin (like many Berkley P40’s and Garcia’s) and not white, you might think about simply hand rubbing a few coats of varnish on the blank.

Post 29 Oct 2020, 15:10 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Most painted Phillipsons have a white undercoat or primer coat. If the paint job isn't too bad, I would +2 the idea of giving the blank a coat of varnish. A finger, or rub on coat might be all you need. It is amazing how just one coat dresses up an old rod.

Post 29 Oct 2020, 21:28 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
retiredfisher1 wrote:
Don’t recall what that blank looks like with the paint removed. If it was a brown/tobacco color resin (like many Berkley P40’s and Garcia’s) and not white, you might think about simply hand rubbing a few coats of varnish on the blank.

Yea, that's what I was thinking - old glass often looks like tobacco under the paint, and if you strip to that and then hand rub varnish on it they look gorgeous. My 2 cents ....

Post 30 Oct 2020, 00:24 • #10 
Administrator
The blank is probably a clear, or milky glass. By the time these rods were being built Phillipson was using clear epoxy resins from 3M. Somewhere I have a clear glass Phillipson from this period. I'll try to find it this weekend...

Tom

Post 30 Oct 2020, 07:46 • #11 
Someone started striping the top section before I got it so I can see The “brown” under the yellow. I think I attached a photo...

Post 30 Oct 2020, 09:19 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
A picture is worth a thousand words. I would suggest automotive spray paint in cans, then a clear coat. Talk to someone who paints cars for a living.

Post 30 Oct 2020, 10:09 • #13 
I think I figured out how to make my pictures small enough to insert (finally). I have a friend who owns a body shop hopefully he can match the color for me if I can’t find something in a rattle can.

New Topic Add Reply