It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:35

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Oct 2020, 19:59 • #1 
Guide
First of two wright and McGill denco rods I am rebuilding for Christmas gifts. This one is for my sister. The rods are identical except for the reel seat here is brownish, the reel seat on the other is green.

Stripped totally down. Traced writing with India ink. Let dry for a week before top coating with permagloss. Found dry time for ink on glass is very important for not streaking or blurring.

Wrapped with silk (first silk wrapping job). Bought silk from Matt @ proof. Kimono brand. Almost copper color wraps with red tipping, same silk used for red tipping. I’m very happy with my first job in silk. Foot preparation on guides especially smaller ones is hugely important with silk I learned. Will do more next rod before wrapping.

Reel seat, cork, ferrules, and winding check all original.

Post 12 Oct 2020, 23:26 • #2 
Master Guide
Nice job. Silk has its challenges, but worth the effort.

Post 13 Oct 2020, 06:47 • #3 
Guide
incidentally, any suggestions for how to deal with the lighter blank areas that show up after removing the guides? Unless you rewrap all guides in the same spot, these areas definitely make a difference in the final look of the rod. I'm assuming there isn't much that can be done though?

Post 13 Oct 2020, 10:33 • #4 
Administrator
It took decades for the blank to age to its current condition. If you tint the light bands to make them darker, with time they will be mismatched again.

The easiest option is to wrap over the old guide locations. Often the original factory guide locations work fairly well. Adding 2-3 extra guides doesn't always make a rod better.

You could paint the blank. That will give you an even background to work on. A forum search will bring up info on painting.

Tom

Post 09 Aug 2021, 16:01 • #5 
Master Guide
Beautiful job!!!!!! Great photos thanks for sharing.

Post 16 Aug 2021, 18:47 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
nice work..

the ghosting (light blank areas) are just honorable scars really.. I tend to just use the same guide locations, unless it's a really cheap rod with way too few guides. Any decent rod probably got it right.

Post 23 Aug 2021, 15:32 • #7 
Sport
Really like the thread selection you chose for this project.

New Topic Add Reply