It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:39

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Sep 2020, 14:58 • #1 
Guide
Anyone seen this before?

I left this rod outdoors for a few days and those spots developed around the wraps. Anyone know how to correct this without scraping the blank down and rewraping guides and refinishing the entire rod? These spots look like water stains beneath the epoxy.

Last edited by Radding on 14 Sep 2020, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

Post 14 Sep 2020, 16:47 • #2 
Master Guide
You mention it looks like they are beneath the epoxy, but hopefully they're on top? What type of cleaner have you used on them so far? If it were my rod, I'd try wiping them with water (you've likely already tried that) and then move up from there. Next I'd try wiping on some vinegar and distilled water, and letting it stay wet with that for about 10 minutes, then washing. Next I'd try some polishing compound for cars. Of course try to start on an inconspicuous spot just in case it clouds the finish.

Do you have sprinklers that use well water?

I'd do some googling about removing hard water spots from car finish, as that's a more common and frequently addressed issue that likely has the same solution.

Post 15 Sep 2020, 08:51 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
If it doesn't wipe off, just do it over, making sure to thoroughly clean the surface, and apply coats of the thickness and drying conditions/intervals recommended by the manufacturer. If those are superficial stains of mineral fines or pollen or somesuch from water droplets, or pitch great. They will probably clean up. Otherwise, the finish is checked/blistered from sunlight, temperature changes, overheating, perhaps because it was contaminated or not dried sufficiently when applied. If the check/speckling is under the top coat--between finish coats and/or the finish and the blank. There's no piecemeal touchup for that, except more wraps or coatings to conceal it.

Post 15 Sep 2020, 13:14 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
It looks like something started to crystallize, or moisture caused some kind of blushing on the epoxy. Can you determine which layer is giving you the problem? If it is the topmost, you could probably fine sand it and put a new coat down. You might want to test that in a small obscure area.

It certainly looks like a response to moisture. Perhaps if you let it dry in the sun for a while?

Is the effect restricted to a finish epoxy layer? The effect is not found on the rod blank finish-right?

Post 16 Sep 2020, 22:11 • #5 
Guide
Thanks everyone for responses and from them I synthesized a Solution
I washed the rod with Kirkland dish soap, rinsed it off and polished with pledge. Good as new. I thought that moisture had infiltrated around the wraps and left stains in that area after it dried. Vinegar and plain water washed did nothing.

Post 17 Sep 2020, 09:27 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I am glad you got it to clean up, but you must tell us what you think happened, and why your cleaning method worked. Did some little woodland denizen decide to mark his scent?

Post 17 Sep 2020, 21:17 • #7 
Guide
The spots appeared to be under the epoxy surface so I postulated that, because they were mainly around the thread Wraps, the thread had adsorbed moisture and when it evaporated left deposits. However, because they easily cleaned off with dish soap It now seems they were on the epoxy surface. The observation that the spotting occurred around wraps infers that somehow the wraps were involved and faulty. But the fact that some spotting spilled over beyond wraps cannot be explained as well as no spotting on the blank midpoint between guides.

Post 17 Sep 2020, 22:02 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
My guess is out side dust concentrated into dew drops that later dried leaving mineral spots. The Pledge would probably have taken care of it, although I was going to suggest a paste wax. Dish soap is always a place to start.

Post 18 Sep 2020, 08:53 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you Radding. It is good to know that it is not another finishing material reacting in a funny way to environmental factors.

Post 18 Sep 2020, 11:22 • #10 
Guide
The rod was refinished over 25 years ago with Dale Clemens Crystal Coat A & B and thinned with a little Crystal Flo. These products have held up well over the years considering their age and abuse they have taken.

New Topic Add Reply