It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:14

New Topic Add Reply
Fiberglass spey blanks
Post 09 Sep 2020, 12:28 • #1 
I am looking to build a fiberglas trout spey rod 10ish feet 4ish weight. I cant for the life of me find anywhere that sells fiberglass spey/switch blanks. With Anglers Roost not taking orders i have tried to contact James Green to no avail. If anyone knows anywhere i can get a light fiberglass spey blank, any information would be helpful! Also i would be interested in buying an Echo Glass spey rod if anyone is willing to part with one or anyone knows a place i can buy one.

Thanks
Gabe
Saber Rod Company

Post 09 Sep 2020, 15:14 • #2 
Administrator
Hi Gabe, Welcome to the Forum!

When you say a 10 foot spey rod and 4-ish weight, do you mean a 4-ish weight spey fly line? or a conventional fly line? Approximately how heavy a line do you wish to cast? The AFFTA spey line standards only go down to 6 weight spey lines.

Tom

Post 09 Sep 2020, 15:19 • #3 
Ill be using an OPST 200g head. So i would have to think that that is probably good for a standard 4wt, just a bit longer.

Post 09 Sep 2020, 18:22 • #4 
Administrator
Very few glass rods are described in 'spey' terms. A 'single hand' four weight glass rod would be designed to work with a 120 grain fly line. See the AFFTA fly line standard page for weight ranges. A glass fly rod designed to work with a 200 grain line would be more of a 'single hand' 7 or 8 weight. The vast majority of glass rods are 9 feet long or less.

If you can live with a 9 foot blank, you will have many blanks you can build into a two-handed rod. For that matter, you could start with a 9 foot blank and extend the handle by installing a stent at the butt end.

As far as >9 foot, purpose built, glass spey blanks - slim pickings. I think you identified the companies that sell a lighter glass spey blank. This is one area where graphite is king.

Tom

Post 09 Sep 2020, 18:40 • #5 
I have thought of extending a 8 or 9 foot blank. Havent done that before so im not sure how far i could go without affecting the blanks action, but i cant imagine its too far especially since i would want it to bend down deep in the handle.
As for the line weight, OPST recomends that their 200g Commando Skagit head be paired with a 5wt 10 feet or less and a 4 weight 10ft or more. I use it on my 9' 5wt carbon rod and it is perfect. I guess im wondering how the AAFTA rattings differ for heavy spey lines that to work right need to be very heavy to load the rod. I am by no means an expert on this matter so any clarity would help. If you you arent Familiar with OPST lines, the one i have has a very short 13' head on it one or the shortest available.

Post 09 Sep 2020, 19:15 • #6 
Administrator
I don't have any two handed rods, so I'm clearly no expert. The AFFTA link in my last post shows the line weights for both one-handed and spey lines. The spey line standards run from 6 to 12 (as usual, AFFTA has not kept up with the industry). Spey line weights seem to be 40-200% heavier than the corresponding single hand lines. That adds quite a bit of apples to oranges to the discussion.

If you like the Commando line with your 9 foot, 5 weight graphite rod, look for a 9 foot, single handed 6 or 7 weight glass blank. If you want a little bit longer rod, you can put a stent under the lower rod grip and the reelseat. You should still get the feeling that the rod bends into the grip.

One cheap possibility is to find an older 9 foot glass rod (or longer) on eBay and strip it to the blank. Then rebuild it how you want it. The old rod may cost you less than a good cork grip and reelseat.

Tom

Post 09 Sep 2020, 19:25 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I think that conventional lines are weighed at 30' and that if we weighed the entire DT line it would maybe be close to the established spey weights? so, are rods labeled as being maxed out at 30' with a given line? or are they rated to carry 70-100' of that weight line?

Post 09 Sep 2020, 22:06 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
As noted above, there really aren’t many options anymore. For blanks, even James Green doesn’t make (to my knowledge, at least) a 10ft blank as light as you’re looking for. I own (and love) his black glass 10ft 5wt ‘trophy trout’ blank, and it’s really more like a 10ft 5/6 - I use a 250gr Commando on it. I’ve tried a 200gr and it really needs more.

Probably your only option for a blank is a custom roll from CTS in New Zealand, but it’s going to be very expensive. I explored it with them about a year ago, and they were going to be able to make me a 10’3” 3wt with a grain window of about 175-250gr but all in it was going to cost around $700 for the blank alone. If you’re able to spend that, I’m sure it would be a great rod.

Probably you’re best bet is to keep an eye out for an Echo Glass 3wt switch. That would fit your bill as 200gr is really nice on that rod. If you’re a member over a speypages, it might be worthwhile posting a want ad. Someone might have one squirrelled away.

But you can’t have mine! ;)

Oh, and the AFTMA spey line ratings are basically meaningless at this point.

Post 10 Sep 2020, 23:14 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
CTS has made a glass 2-3wt trout spey blank (I have one sitting in the pile to build out). Quartz DH series, but as Brockton has said, it's probably a custom order. The JGreen blanks were not that light. my 10'6" is probably good with a 320-340grn scandi line. Everything else I've seen is a 6 or 7wt (the epic DH11 and Seele rod) in the 460gn or above. I find these better for skagit casting than scandi.

There are a lot of nice trout-spey graphite blanks that would probably be good. A 3wt graphite trout-spey might be what you want.

Post 11 Sep 2020, 09:11 • #10 
Master Guide
For perspective sake, it should be noted that to get such a longer -- 10 and half foot or longer, light weight -- blank to preform in trout spey -- not overhead -- style, you will need a line weight-rated in the range of a conventional size 9 or 10 line. And that is for a light graphite blank! a slower, heavier fiberglass rod could require an even heavier line.

Spey/Scandi casts require an initial load based on sticking a fairly short amount of heavy line outside the rod --usually on the water -- rather than loading the rod in the air. To get that resistance, a lot of weight is needed to make the longer lever (rod) work to its potential. And then, to get the right presentation of the heavy line you have to add a tip --10' or so -- for delicacy or sink rate which adds even more weight. .

Weight wise, you cannot compare 1 to 1 lines for trout speying with a short -- 9' or so -- graphite rod to those need for the longer rods.

Post 30 Oct 2020, 18:32 • #11 
Guide
Gabe
You peaked my interest in a Spey Phenolic Fiberglass 10 ft. plus 4 wt . It took 2 J. Kennedy Fisher Master Blank to make a 2pc.10 ft. 6 '' internal ferule blank in a 4/5 wt. configuration . It is very difficult to it because of the mid rod needs to have enough power to use Spey lines and not bottom out . Flatting the taper in the mid section using a larger line weight Blank for the butt section seem to be the ticket of reserve of power needed. Seams right to me .

Many of the early Lock Rods made with fiberglass made in England were as close as they got in smaller line weights 6 wt.s being the lightest I can recall. You can not look at it as a carbon fiber counter parts. Taper & power point is everything in glass Old school tapering works best .
I have built quite a few larger line weights one over the years for steelhead & salt water in single handed Glass 10ft . configurations .
Randy Johnson at Tahoe Rod Works/ Retroglass Fly Rods

New Topic Add Reply