It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:06

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Aug 2020, 09:34 • #1 
Guide
Hey guys -

I have 2 blanks, one graphite and one a clear/ untinted, and both need to be given a fresh look. What's the recommended process for painting or recoloring them?

The clear glass blank is a 3 piece and the butt section has an amber cast to it, the mid and tip are pretty colorless so they have a nice whitish look to them. I'd much prefer they look like they all belong together so that's the reason there. The graphite blank is getting recolored for a special project - I am building myself a mousing rod and want a 9'6" 6wt in a golden yellow. I'm not looking to put hundreds in to it (sorry CTS) and I do have a line on some nice blanks, but custom color isn't an option from the vendor anymore. So, I have two blanks needing to be modified. Hope the extra info helps.

Post 12 Aug 2020, 11:32 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Blank refinishing has been covered here several times you should use the search function .
Last winter I shared some of the finer details of my time proven blank refinishing methods if you follow the topic What's On Your Bench you can see what works best for me.

Re: What's On Your Bench

Quote:
Just got back to the bench this afternoon,a few extra days for the paint to dry was needed anyhow ,Didn't get back to the Yellow Fenwick bling wrapping or get started wrapping the first 2 of the 6 Phillipsons.
One of the advantages of being retired the work can always wait.

The Light Tan Paint on the 5'8" "Damm Sweet Mighty Lite" looked like crap literally.
Today I over painted it with the dark brown,looks much richer more like dark Chcolate Now.
The rest of the blanks all looked great,decided to add some Chcolate Brn to the butt section of the Marigold Yellow 7'8" "Little Hoosic Bentley".
Tagged This Rod In Honor of my Good Friend Charles Bentley whom did excavation work when I built my shop on the bank of the Little Hoosic River back in 1990.
Charley was at my door almost every morning for Coffee for many many years.

We have another thread running where a member asked about masking off Ferrules and such when refinishing rod blanks,adding some pictures of the rod sections plugs and tape ups,etc.
You will also see where the L.H.B.was masked off at the 18" Mark,the point I place my Signature Wrap on most every rod I've made,the finishing touches I have planned for this rod are going to be like no Phillipson I've ever seen.
That's clear plastic wrap covering the yellow area of the blank.

Tight Lines And Back At It Loops
Andy M

Post 12 Aug 2020, 11:39 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I’m sure if you do a search for “painting a blank”, you will get lots of info. I have done it several times using Krylon Fusion for plastic. A couple of light coats with a clear finish coat. Be sure to apply very light coats or the paint will run.

Post 12 Aug 2020, 12:08 • #4 
Guide
Ah crap. I deserved that.

Doing said search I even found a thread on stripping and re-coloring a blank that I started. Probably should have made the time to actually do that work and get the experience from it instead of putting my foot in my mouth.

New Topic Add Reply