New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Jul 2020, 05:27 • #1 
Sport
Hello
this rod is arrived today and a new project start with this yellow blank
The blank is in very very good condition
But I don't like reel seat, grip and guides
So, I have decide to change everything
I would like to know if someone of you have the original guide spacing and their size.
All tips are appreciated.
Thank you
Luigi

Post 09 Jul 2020, 10:37 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I think that will make a sweet 5 weight.

Post 09 Jul 2020, 11:54 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
that's a great blank..
I used those first-generation Fuji guides when they came out, as they were a huge improvement over the snake guides then available, but they do look rather ugly..

The yellow rods were sold as blanks only, so there isn't an original guide spacing.
Probably could start with the specs for the Feralite FF755 from pic below, and adjust as needed..

Post 09 Jul 2020, 12:58 • #4 
Administrator
Before you change everything, take the rod fishing. You may like the current guide spacing or the rod grip. Keep the good features.

Tom

Post 09 Jul 2020, 13:44 • #5 
Sport
I have the same blank made up with this spacing, its allways the distance between the rings, 8 Ring + Tip:
Tip - 11- 13 - 15 - 18 - 21 - 25 - 28 - 30

Post 09 Jul 2020, 23:16 • #6 
Inactive
I have the same blank built out by our own Andy Manchester - just a lovely rod. You might get his input on guide spacing. His handle here is The Glass Master.

Post 10 Jul 2020, 01:26 • #7 
Guide
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38039

Here is an old post about the same topic. I hope this helps.

Post 10 Jul 2020, 04:19 • #8 
Sport
Thank you for all your suggestions
Jgestar I prefer rebuilding the rod for several reasons: I don't like one foot guide, in my opinion the varnish of threads was very bad, I don't like the reel seat etc
Anyway the project is start. I have removed the guides and reel seat. Next step the grip on the boiled water.
My question now is: in which way I can remove the varnish of threads from the blank?? (as you can see it in the last picture)
Thank you
Luigi

Post 11 Jul 2020, 08:09 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I don't understand the "boiled water" comment. Is that how you got the reelseat off?

Are you just turning down the existing cork some?

As for those little varnish ridges. I start with Denatured Alcohol, but it never does much, but its safe. Test what laquer remover does on the blank (where the reelseat is) to make sure it is safe, and then try it.

Anything you do is going to leave the color mismatches where the old wraps were, so I usually match the old guide spacing and wrap over the ridges.

Denatured Alcohol is safe, but may not work.

Post 11 Jul 2020, 09:11 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Luis, it's much easier and faster to cut/carve the grip off or break up the rings. Cork breaks up and peels away easily once started. It's easy to avoid actually cutting into or scraping the blank underneath.

Also, you have probably seen this, but if not, you might see something that interests you for the components or appearance of your rebuild. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37987&p=124703&hilit=1970s+Yellow+Fenwicks#p124703

Post 11 Jul 2020, 11:45 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Good choice for a remake,these are some of the sweetest fiberglass blanks ever made.
I'm always on the lookout for these rods or blanks at yard sales an such.

Currently have that same rod in need of a remake,also a couple of the 6' and 6'6" 1 Piece rods in my remake line up/pile,both currently are spin rods but will make amazing small stream light line fly rods.

Consider stripping the blank completely,clean n seal the blank then start with a fresh blank canvas. ;)

Tight Lines And Yellow Loops
Andy Man

Post 12 Jul 2020, 01:34 • #12 
Sport
Thank you again
First of all, I cleaned the varnish of the threads with a solution of 50% water and 50% acetone nail poilish remover
Carlz, I boiled the water in a large pot, I turned of the fire and I dipped the grip for 30/40 second, turning it continuously. I later turned the grip and it come out very well.
Luckily it didn't have many glue.
Whrlpool in this way is possible to save the grip. And thank you for the link, there are many good suggestions.
The Glass Master thank you
Luigi

Post 12 Jul 2020, 07:27 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Oh my gosh. Nice! Didn't realize you were hoping to save the grip. Thanks for the update; looks like the blank cleaned up pretty well, too.

Post 14 Jul 2020, 14:00 • #14 
Guide
I've been following this thread with some interest as I also have one of these that I re-built a few years ago. I obtained it at a flea market where someone had actually made the blank into a spinning rod. I stripped the guides and re-built it as a flyrod and added some feather inlays. Going to try to post a few pictures of it.

Post 15 Jul 2020, 18:35 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Wow nice job resurrecting that Yaller Fenwick Dave !!!!
It's funny how spinning rod blanks wind up becoming fly rods and fly rod blanks make great spinning rods.
We could have a long debate about the best crossover blanks .

The nice thing about the Yellow Fenwick blanks is with some light sanding even the worst battle scars seem to clean up.
I might regret that statement you will see what I'm talking about when I post pictures of the blanks in my remake line up.

How did you clean and prep your blank Dave ?
Me I Like ACETONE OR M.E.K. and never in 50 years had any adverse effects or interactions taking normal precautions.

Some pictures of my lurking Yellow Fenwick projects.
The Tip Was Fractured I'll Make Another .
Next Up The Head Scratcher.
Look At The Size Of The Blank In Relation To The Blank Diameter :eek
Look How Close The Tip Top Is To The Guide 3"
This next one at least has full flexing light weight guides.
Wheres The Beef ??
These Builders Must Have Used The Same Guides Spacing Charts :lol

My A#1 project is Rod Bags need to make a boat load of rod bags n tube up all the rods I've been finishing up.

Again Nice Job Dave and a great choice for a remake !!!

Tight Lines And Classic Flea Market Yellow Glass Loops ;)
Andy Man

Post 20 Jul 2020, 11:28 • #16 
Guide
Andy,
I went back and was looking at your post again and just realized that you asked me how I cleaned the blank. Actually as I recall, I didn't clean it at all as it looked ok as it was.

I really don't use the rod so am thinking of selling it.

Dave

Post 21 Jul 2020, 09:20 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
That was lucky Dave, usually when removing old guides they leave ugly witness marks that can be challenging to remove without damaging the blank.
These 2 thread and finish heavy blanks of mine,no doubt will give more than 1 winter afternoons work to clean up.
Dave That's a really nice rod your selling,if I didn't have so many projects I'd be all over that !!!!!

I'm afraid we may have skyjacked Luigi's thread here.
Luigi please share your projects progress with us I'm very curious how the rod is turning out for you.
Can't wait to see what your color choices,thread work etc.

Tight Lines And "Luigi's Yellow Fenwick" Loops
Andy M

Post 22 Jul 2020, 06:57 • #18 
Sport
Hello
The Glass Master, don't worry, I like to read all kinds of posts about this rod. Thank you.
So, today are arrived all components. Hand made grip, reel seat, yellow silk, stripping and guide
I would like to try to building this rod in the most simple and "minimalist" way.
I have a doubt about the red stripping too. May be a simple stripping is better? or just a red spot look good?
The threads will be only yellow silk without any other color.
No hook keeper. No winding check.
All your tips, suggestions and criticism will be very well accepted
Thank you
Luigi

Post 04 Aug 2020, 17:52 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Luis you are treating that Fenwick well.. very nice, like the reelseat and that red agate stripping guide will look fine I think.
The minimalist approach is my preference too, so many of these yellow blanks were elaborately built or overbuilt like Andy's samples.. 8" of badly done weave above the handle..

my yellow FL96-6 got broken on an airplane, rebuilt it as a spinning rod but it never really worked for me in that configuration..

Post 06 Aug 2020, 11:48 • #20 
Sport
New dress for a sweet old lady

Post 06 Aug 2020, 14:19 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Very well done!

Post 08 Aug 2020, 06:38 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Alot better dress than the previous!

Post 08 Aug 2020, 10:16 • #23 
Master Guide
I agree! Great job!