It is currently 08 Aug 2020, 07:14

New Topic Add Reply
hairline crack repair
Post 03 Jul 2020, 11:32 • #1 
Hi, I just bought a Hardy Fibalite Perfection, but it seames to have a hairline crack near the male spigot.
Is this repairable and how would be the best way to do it.
Thanks for any help.

Post 03 Jul 2020, 19:42 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Wow it's beautiful! But don't monkey around with it. I would return the rod and get my money back.

Post 03 Jul 2020, 21:40 • #3 
Administrator
I'm not sure that is anything more than surface damage where the finish is coming up. Have you looked at the rod while shining a very strong light through it? Sometimes that shows damage that can't be seen in normal lighting.

Tom

Post 03 Jul 2020, 22:49 • #4 
Guide
While it may just be an optical illusion, to me it appears that the blank is a bit oblong there leading me to suspect a possible crush. Pretty hard to make a perfect determination from just the picture for me though

Post 04 Jul 2020, 04:49 • #5 
You must not get confused by the photos, they enlarge the whole thing. In reality, it looks much smaller. I only discovered it with a magnifying glass. When I put pressure on the spigot the gap doesn't open. But I don't think it's just a scratch because it goes under the winding and the varnish on the winding is not damaged. I tried to shine through with a very strong flashlight, which, however, does not let light through. My question could be that the spigot is still running under the crack? For the repair, I do not know if I get some glue in the crack because it looks as if it does not open, maybe superglue would be the most fluid solution, after this winding a transparent wrap over it. I do not know if it is possible to take out the male spigot and replace it with a longer one that goes up under the crack if it doesn't already do so. The blank was certainly not smashed, it is absolute round I measured it. If smashed there should be more than one crack.

Post 04 Jul 2020, 06:00 • #6 
Sport
Try to find out, how long the spigot gets into the blank.
If the spigot is hollow you can go in with a thin wire that you give a hook shape at the end.
With this hook you can find the lower end of the spigot.
If it is a solid spigot you would have to find out from the lower end by removing the cap.
If the spigot would be longer than the crack, there would be no problem to fish it like it is.
But even with the spigot ending further up I would think this to be no problem.
If you wanna get sure, you could place a layer of thread over the crack. If you use white silk for it, the thread gets translucend after varnishing.

If it would be a serious crack also the varnish of the orange thread should show a crack.
Maybe it is only a surface scratch and not a deeper crack.

Glass blank are very strong compared to graphite, especialy this thick walled Hardy blanks.
I have a Fenwick 806 that has a real crack in the handle part. I only covered it with one layer of brown nylon winding thread that just covers the crack + 1/2 inch each side.
Even much stronger would be a layer of braided fishing line as this is not elastic. A nylon thread is still "elastic" even when varnished.
I do cut a lot of blanks to make 4 piece out of 2, connected by spigot ferrules. Sometimes the walls where I cut are very thin and broke ( the female part) when they were secured with nylon thread only. The blank got cracks under the winding that you could see because the varnish of the thread cracked also.
I removed the nylon thread and replaced it by thin grey "fireline", without cutting away the cracked part of the blank. After that the rods fishes like new and there are no new cracks vissilbly in the varnish of the braided winding.

Back to your rod: I would have a good look with a high (20x) magnyfikant if this is realy a crack and not only a scratch and than, in the case of a crack, cover it with either white silk or a very thin braid that has the blank color.

Last edited by doublehaul on 05 Jul 2020, 03:01, edited 2 times in total.

Post 04 Jul 2020, 09:58 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I would do my best to work some superglue into it and fish it hard.

Removing spigot, possible but not practical.

Post 04 Jul 2020, 14:20 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
majicwrench wrote:
I would do my best to work some superglue into it and fish it hard.

This is probably what I'd do. Although cleaning (attempting to clean) first with isopropanol would precede the CA application. More likely I'd never have seen that if it took magnification to find and I would just have taken it fishing.
My first impression was a scrape that continued over the wrap but left the wrap unmarked because of different coatings. Still kinda lean that way, since you measured it to be round.

Post 04 Jul 2020, 15:25 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
You never know. If you want the rod that badly, follow the advice of those who opt to repair, reinforce, or ignore it and fish it. If you paid a small price, maybe it 's worth the risk to you. But if it snaps, it's worthless.

Post 04 Jul 2020, 18:33 • #10 
I read that CA glue is too brittle for this kind of repair job?
I paid 60 for the rod, it is not worth the trouble to send it back.

Last edited by olandrea on 06 Jul 2020, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.

Post 04 Jul 2020, 21:10 • #11 
Administrator
Drip a little alcohol and watch for the liquid to wick into the crack. If it does, the same thing will work for thin CA glue. If it doesn't wick in, there isn't a crack.

The more I look at the second photo, the more I think you have a rough spot where the paint has worn off over the years. Personally, I would take it fishing.

Tom

Post 05 Jul 2020, 20:05 • #12 
Guide
It sure looks like the result of a crushing force, bit may as well try something and see if it snaps in casting, if you're keeping it. To me, it seems that the only way to make it strong enough to hold up would be to glue a sleeve over it.

New Topic Add Reply