It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:09

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Jun 2020, 11:21 • #1 
Guide
Been quiet on the board but admiring the many builds showing up on this thread. Been aching to get back to building my own. Well, that time has arrived and I am finally getting started on this 8'6" Sceptre blank:

Got all the components, getting ready to carefully mark the spine and spec out guide size and placement.

And, yes, I'm referencing the wealth of exceptional information and guidance I've found here, especially from the eminent Andyman.

Wish me luck. Comments and words of instruction, encouragement, or inquiry are welcome!

Will post more as the project unfolds.

Clod

Last edited by thegreatclod on 13 Jul 2020, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

Post 20 Jun 2020, 07:57 • #2 
Sport
Good luck!

Post 20 Jun 2020, 08:17 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like you're on the way, and you certainly chose a well-regarded blank as basis. My only advice would be to relax and enjoy the project. If you make a mistake, say in a wrap, just fix it and move on. Looking forward to seeing both progress and finished rod.

Post 20 Jun 2020, 14:51 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
It would be hard to go wrong with that blank, the more so with all the info here. You're gonna make a good one.

Post 13 Jul 2020, 14:55 • #5 
Guide
Slow progress, but progress is progress!

The grip and reel seat and tip top are on. Spent some time filling the gap between rod and grip (from reaming) with a mix of wood glue, wood putty, and cork dust.

Then moved on to guide sizing and placement. I'm currently on my 4th iteration of this task, and TBH I'm still undecided. Present locations and sizes are solid - I love the casting feel, distance, and precision I'm getting from this configuration. BUT. I'm measuring 1/2" or more distance between the rod and line during static deflection tests. Doesn't seem to matter, but maybe one of you all might chime in and offer your 2 cents. I'm hemming and hawing as to whether to add another guide and test again (so, 11 guides on a 8'6" Sceptre) or be content and carry on.

And here we have the finalists for thread color:
Fishawk Garnet, Gudebrod Maroon, or Nymo Candy Apple Red
I've got my preference. What's yours?

That's all for now. Hoping to finish this up and move on to another build in the works.

Don't sniff the glue,
Clod

Post 13 Jul 2020, 15:19 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I always go for less guides.

Post 21 Jul 2020, 20:15 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Ditto on that - I rebuilt a 8'6" Hardy Jet and went with 10 guides, not 11 and was more than pleased. Probably could have gone 9. It was originally built by Hardy with 8 guides. majicwrench probably remembers that rod since I bought it used from him :-)

Post 12 Aug 2020, 12:47 • #8 
Guide
I picked up one of those blanks years ago and will follow your build with interest! I'd go with the candy apple wraps and might even use, dare I say it, ceramic guides.

Post 12 Aug 2020, 17:28 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Good luck and have fun!

Post 12 Aug 2020, 20:33 • #10 
Master Guide
9 guides will be plenty, any more and you are just adding extra weight that will “dampen” the blank.

Post 13 Aug 2020, 05:23 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
There is a lot of snake oil surrounding guides, but sometimes one more can make a big difference. You owe it to yourself to mock that up and try it, if you notice a big difference in casting, then that is your answer. If not, 10 guides are plenty. If the line curve is bothering you, try moving the guides closer to the tip.

Post 22 Aug 2020, 10:25 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Neil, i have that same blank. Built out with nine guides, and love it. It is a terrific blank, and one that is very hard to come by these days. It will throw a 6 to an 8 weight - maybe even 9 though i have not tried. It is an awesome big river rod for freshwater. I have fished it in inshore too and caught many specks and stripers using floating and Teeney sink tip lines. One of the most versatile rods i know of. Good luck with your build. You will not be disappointed.

New Topic Add Reply