It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:28

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Jun 2020, 14:28 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I didn't know where else to put this. A couple of years ago I purchased an Ijuin Yomogi from a fellow forum member. It came in the usual Ijuin rod tube, a plastic tube with a cork at each end. When I removed the rod from the tube, I couldn't help but notice a strong, pungent odor from the rod sock. I was able to get rid of the odor in the sock by running it through the laundry. However, the odor remained in the tube. I tried running hot water and household cleanser in the tube and after several minutes of this a wad of paper towel came out when I emptied the tube. The smell had apprently been from something the paper towel had been soaked in. I left the tube open for several months to air out, but the odor remained. I dumped a bunch of baking soda down the tube and left it in there for a month or more, with only mild change in the smell. I finally put the rod and sock back in the tube. I fished with the rod today and the sock is once again permeated with the odor, and I could even detect some of the odor in the cork of the grip. I supect the cork plug in the bottom of the tube had absorbed some of the chemical the paper towel was soaked in. I really enjoy the rod, but the smell has to go, and I don';t want to have to buy another rod tube. Does anybody have any suggestions for ridding the tube of this odor?

Larry

Post 18 Jun 2020, 14:54 • #2 
Guide
Usually need some cleaner with enzymes in it to get the funk out.

Can try items that you use for laundry or wetsuits.
Here are a couple from Amazon:
-https://www.amazon.com/Sink-Stink-Wetsuit-Cleaner-4ounce/dp/B006VXMPD0/ref=asc_df_B006VXMPD0/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276296511832&psc=1
-https://www.amazon.com/FunkAway-Eliminator-Spray-Clothes-Shoes/dp/B01N1375XL/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PJJ17JD5409J8Q2K3E50 (they make a laundry add in too, that you could mix and soak as well).

Worth a shot.

Post 18 Jun 2020, 16:08 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I had forgotten I have some deodorizing stuff for washing waders. Have to give it a try.

Larry

Post 18 Jun 2020, 21:35 • #4 
Administrator
Re-wash the rod bag, wash the rod, and store both in a different tube. Conduct evil experiments on the smelly tube until it either comes clean or disintegrates.

Things to try:
  • Leave it outside uncorked for a couple of months
  • Wash with any, and every, deodorizing cleaner you can get
  • Wash with strong bleach
  • Obtain new corks and burn the old ones
  • Fill the tube with charcoal briquettes for a few months
  • Put a cheap, nasty rod into the tube and give it to an unpleasant relative

Tom

Post 18 Jun 2020, 22:24 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
This will remove skunk scent from man or dog so shouldn't harm your tube- 1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, 1/2 cup of Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate), 1 teaspoon of liquid soap; mix and use like a shampoo - in your case I'd pour the mix into the rod case and set 10 minutes or so agitating every couple minutes, pour it off, dry the tube over night then check it for odor; maybe do it again ...
The peroxide and soda activate each other somehow, but I'm not the chemist to explain it, and it may not work on anything but skunk sprayed stuff. Just a notion.
Fresh ground coffee absorb odors. Shipping skunk quill/essence in a container of coffee is a common way to keep the postmistress from complaining.

Post 19 Jun 2020, 21:38 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I would try Tom's last suggestion, but my sister-in-law doesn't fish.

Larry

Post 20 Jun 2020, 16:18 • #7 
Guide
Larry , you can have your cat pee in it or better yet you could do it yourself . It probably wont do anything except make it smell like you but at least you'd know what it is ! lol

Post 21 Jun 2020, 08:23 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Is the plastic clear or opaque. It probably absorbed the odor, right? so if it doesn't come out over time, you could always seal it in with a paint or some sort of coating, presuming that doesn't smell worse.

Or you could just send the whole thing to me.

Post 21 Jun 2020, 10:58 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
The peroxide/soda mix will deodorize, clothing, traps, tools, seat cover the dog sat on, etc. as well as men and dogs, just straight peroxide poured in and agitated periodically for some time might eat up/boil out residual chemicals causing the stink, not many odors are more persistent than pure skunk quill.
If the cork ends are easily removed you might have better luck with them removed and aired out in sunshine, not much air movement in the closed tube.

Post 21 Jun 2020, 13:35 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Surely out of all these suggestions I can find something that works. Carl, I will happily send you the tube if that's what you want, but I will keep the rod.

Larry

New Topic Add Reply