It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:56

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Jun 2020, 03:31 • #1 
Hello all,

I am preparing my self for my first rod build (7' #3). I want cork reel seat and sliding bands. I couldnt find any in my country, so I decided to make them. I found a beautifull article here about making them.
But my question is: Is the taper necessary?
My idea is make a reel seat with a mortised area for reel foot. Then I want to make sliding bands from copper tube (18mm ID) and 4-5mm width. Do you think it will be OK for holding a reel, or do you recomend me a different aproche.

I found my inspiration in some rod builds from "Fine Tackle".
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RXmft6kcXq0/XjiRomWyQNI/AAAAAAAADgU/pS3UKbhC5hoZL5zuIuojCZkamwfHN_HPwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/IMG_2275.jpg

Thank you for your replays,
P.

Post 09 Jun 2020, 10:41 • #2 
Administrator
The taper is not necessary, but it works the best. The fly reel has a tapered foot, so a tapered ring will match.

Many good rods have straight rings. Those rings will damage the reelseat with time. The straight rings work best with a cork reelseat.

For more examples of sliding bands, see this thread.

Tom

Post 10 Jun 2020, 01:55 • #3 
Thank you for your answer. I did search before I put my question, but I missed this one.

P.

Post 10 Jun 2020, 06:42 • #4 
Master Guide
Yes, I agree that the straight ones will be fine, especially with mortised cork, but tapering them would make them better. I recently did a sliding band seat with mortised cork and didn't taper the rings.

By the way, welcome to FFR!
You mentioned that the bands you like aren't available in your country. What country are you in?

We look forward to seeing pictures of your results.

Post 10 Jun 2020, 07:58 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
after using both types, I dont think Ill ever use non-swaged (tapered) sliding rings again. The swaged ones hold so much better, and since they dont need to “tilt” to fit over the reel foot, you can keep tolerances between ring and spacer so much tighter.

that said, I have an early build, where I didnt understand that the rings I used were swaged, and as luch would have it, I installed BOTH rings exactly backwards (taper facing wrong direction). The spacer on this rod is cork, and the rings work well enough. Someday Ill remove the cork butt and flip the rings around...

Post 12 Jun 2020, 02:10 • #6 
Thank you all, for all replies. I asked my friend to make me the rings with taper on a lathe. They are in process now.

@ColdPass: I am from Czech Republic and there are a limited items for rod building for buing. At least I couldnt find them. I order most of the things from hilevel.se, but they didnt have them on stock.

I will definitly post some photo after I build it :-).

Post 01 Jul 2020, 18:28 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
saw your name, and knew where you were from..
as you probably know Karel Capek is the man who invented the word 'robot' - though I see he in fact credits his brother with the word.
I read Capek's science fiction as a boy, in translation..

anyway back on topic - you will have custom hand-crafted rings for your build, makes it unique. Very nice. I look forward to the pictures..

New Topic Add Reply