It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:09

New Topic Add Reply
Older Fenwick
Post 01 Jun 2020, 09:04 • #1 
Guide
I posted a few months back about a Fenwick I purchased and received the info I wanted. Here's another question. I finally was able to get out on the water and cast the rod with a silk line, I like silk, and the rod cast just great.
This being an older rod that has seen some, a lot, of use the finish is dull and not so appealing. Can i wax the rod or apply another coating to bring back the luster. Thanks.

Re: Older Fenwick
Post 01 Jun 2020, 09:47 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Narcodog, wax may bring it up to your satisfaction and even clean it in the process. Just a simple application of an aerosol furniture polish like Pledge can work wonders. If you try it and then decide that it's still too dull for your liking, just clean it extra thoroughly--as should be done anyhow--before using a refinishing product. The "old school" way is wiped on spar varnish. Choose the gloss level you like, such as satin, semi-glass, or high gloss. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18487&p=109667&hilit=spiff#p109667

I'm sure others will give good recommendations about other products that would give good results.

Post 01 Jun 2020, 12:01 • #3 
Guide
Thanks, I think you put me on the right track.

Post 01 Jun 2020, 16:46 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Narcodog. I can't remember your first post, but I've had a hard time getting some of the older fenwicks back to shiny. I have an FF79 that has a satin finish from wear. The spar or polycrylic that sometimes works has not worked on this rod. You're not going to hurt it (other than a label and you can avoid them).

I also have been unable to fix the bubble finish in some of the brown Fenwick FF's. Luckily none of these problems effect the performance of the rods when casting or fishing.

Post 01 Jun 2020, 19:28 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I have an old 326? Fenwick that had a nasty, cracky faded finish, a thin coat of varnish made a huge difference. Certainly not perfect, but looks much better.

Post 03 Jun 2020, 10:24 • #6 
Guide
I would try a car polish first. It has a light compound in it. Then wax. Wax dosen't have any compound. This has worked for me.

New Topic Add Reply