It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:07

New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 May 2020, 20:54 • #1 
Guide
That was my first time posting pics without help from son Scott. What a mission for me!

Inspired by the elegant simplicity and superb function of the reel seats of Dennis Franke l decided to have a go at making my own.

Tapered a piece of hard steel rod to about 3 1/2 degrees or if you wish an included angle of about 7 degrees. I say about because the lathe l used is old and a bit sloppy. Much like myself.

I made a hole in a piece of aluminum sheet to use as a removal tool. This goes on the mandrel first. If you don't put this on it can be very hard to get the swaged band off. This l learnt from experience.

The tubing in this case is 6061T6, 3/4" Diameter, .035" wall thickness and parted off in .375" lengths. Before swaging l deburr the rings to help prevent cracking. The mandrel gets a coat of grease as does the inside of the ring.

Ring is then pressed onto the mandrel. I then made other plates of various thickness to allow me to press the ring farther down the mandrel to enlarge the diameter. These plates of course had holes too but as you press the ring further down a larger hole is required. So l have several plates now with various hole sizes.

After the pressing is done l flip the mandrel over and slide a slightly larger tube over the mandrel. This tube must be slightly longer than the measure from the removal plate to the mandrel end which allows you to press the ring off. Not much pressure required for this.

All that is left to do now is to finish the rings as desired.

I seem to favor gripping the rod quite close to the reel so often l have the heel of my hand resting on the reel seat so a smooth ring without knurling is what l find most comfortable.

Maybe there are better ways to make these but l thought l would share this with you anyway.

Best Fishes to All !

Michael

Post 28 May 2020, 22:07 • #2 
Administrator
I like this procedure. But, as usual, I have some questions.
Stalkermike wrote:
Ring is then pressed onto the mandrel

What did you use to press the ring? How much pressure?

Did you heat treat and polish the mandrel?

Do you want me to move your photos into this post?

Tom

Post 28 May 2020, 22:37 • #3 
Guide
The Tom

I used a hydraulic press at work but one might be able to use a large Vise.

As for pressure I don’t know but didn’t take much.

Mandrel not heat treated. Just polished a bit.

Please do move the pics. Very kind of you! Thanks

Post 28 May 2020, 22:52 • #4 
Administrator
I'm going to have to try this. My arbor press is limited to about 1000 lbs - no hydraulics. I do have most of the raw materials.

The polished bands look very elegant.

Tom

Post 29 May 2020, 00:29 • #5 
Guide
Thanks Tom

I would think your press will be fine.

I’m happy to answer any questions you may have.

Michael

New Topic Add Reply