It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:02

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 May 2020, 20:59 • #1 
Can anyone provide a source for the correct crimson thread used on Shakespeare rods? Circa 1970. Have to reset both of the ferrules, and they will definitely need to be rewrapped. I have black for the tipping.

Ken

Post 28 May 2020, 01:12 • #2 
Administrator
Hi, Welcome to posting!

Pictures will help us guess at the color. Even if you had an unused spool of the original thread, the wraps wouldn't match. The color you see doesn't look the same as the day it was wrapped. Your rod has aged for 50 years since.

My best advice is pick a thread that looks best to you and rewrap the ferrule stations. Don't worry about the color mismatch. Maybe use a contrasting color and worry even less.

Next best option; if you really want everything to match, then rewrap the ferrules and guides. If the guides are worn, this is a good time to replace them. I don't mess with the signature wraps unless I'm going to work on the rod grip too.

Tom

Post 28 May 2020, 08:05 • #3 
Master Guide
I found a nice match for the dark 'Professional' Maroon color when I restored one of those models, but I haven't tried finding a match for the lighter one used on the 'Presidentials & Presidential Gold Cups'. Amazing how pretty a Professional is when not covered by 50+ years of yellowed & amber finish.

I had my wife look at the various color charts and ordered a spool of any that looked close, one of the bunch turned out nicely. I'm color blind, but she's not LoL. For the Wonderods, I use a thicker 'D' thread rather than the usual 'A' due to the spirals but that's just my choice. Be sure to use CP.

Post 28 May 2020, 08:45 • #4 
Thanks for the replies. It is a Wonderod. Great shape other than the ferrules being loose.

Ken

New Topic Add Reply