It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:29

New Topic Add Reply
New 8'4" 8wt 3pc build
Post 16 May 2020, 07:58 • #1 
I built up a 8'4" 8wt 3piece E-glass rod. Finished last night, pictures soon. Fished it this morning, and it is a cannon. Faster than I thought it would be. I was throwing a large cork slider with a big BH wooley dropper. WF8F line. It took a bit of line out to load, might need a WF9F for closer work. Certainly could feel the load and certainly knew when the cast was on or off. If timing was messed up, it felt like swinging a dead stick. As timing was right, loaded nicely and a bit of a haul and it would shoot line very nicely. Certainly had to put a bit into the rod, but it gave all that back. I was tossing it on my neighborhood reservoir, from paddleboard (usually kneeling). I certainly would use this rod to do Kelly Galloup style sink tip "bank robber" streamer fishing. I have the 7wt st croix bank robber. Who knows, maybe I don't need that rod anymore?
The blank was from getbent. $30 blank. $15 reel seat with detachable butt. $8 guide set. Cork grip I had. I am by no means an artistic builder, but have built quite a few very functional rods. It has been a good bit since I built a rod. Wanted a cheap build and a rod that might be a dandy. The blank is a medium gray, advertised granite. I used light gray wraps, no color preserver, and the urethane darkened the wraps so they are exactly the same color as the blank. I used gold guides (there was a reason behind that), but now I wish I might have used gunmetal and had everything blend together. It is not the 8"4"8wt "fulcrum" blank from proof, but maybe the same lineage. Not spigot, but tip over butt ferrules. But both are advertised as E-glass, so probably very similar to what Matt has at Proof.
So I was pleased with the casting (but want to try a WF9F and also sinktips), and even got a 12" largemouth and 11" crappie to test it out nicely. Certainly could still feel those fish, even on 8wt. Don't think it would be a fun bluegill rod, but I certainly can think of alot of times/places this would be lovely to have out there.
I'll figure out the pictures later this weekend so you can all see how terrible my wrap work is, but I am building rods for me to fish, not sell. It makes me certainly appreciate some of the great work that custom builders do.
After fishing that for 40 minutes or so, I then cast my lamiglas honey 6.5' 3wt 9piece. Talk about a difference.
Tight lines. Petri heil! Stay safe.
Ron

Post 16 May 2020, 19:19 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds like a keeper! Looking forward to the photos!

New Topic Add Reply