It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:04

New Topic Add Reply
More champagne, 7’ 3wt
Post 01 May 2020, 15:30 • #1 
Master Guide
It was time to build a new rod. I've had the blank aging for 9 years. It's one of the "Norie-like" blanks that were on the auction site in 2011.
I thought I'd make another champagne and wine cork handle. I had some nickel silver rings that had been included as an extra with another reel seat purchase, and this seemed like a good time to use them.

After boiling and trimming the cork, it's time to drill them, glue them, and get them ready to turn.

Shaped, and on mandrel.

Now to fit the reel seat

I've done this before. Previously on a 6'9" 4 piece with a downlocking cap.

I thought I'd try my hand at pyrography.

Fitting an end cap so as not to have the blank hole at the end

Wrapped with yellow/white/black jasper and black tipping. Three coats of CP, and one coat of varnish before I got impatient (more varnish to come)

I can cast the entire line and a decent amount of backing with the rod. But that's not too much of a trick with a Cortland 10 meter double taper. (3 weight)
I need to do some additional sanding of the reel seat so that the bands can fit up further. The reel bailed on the fight.

I still need to do some additional shaping of the cork on the reel seat and the end cap, do some additional varnish work, and maybe a touch more pyrography (I am considering burning the rod info into the end)

But until then,

Post 01 May 2020, 17:29 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
In a quick read, I thought your last script said you were going to, run your rod! It wasn’t that bad! Seriously, the rod, handle and grip look good. The burnt art work is fantastic. I like it.

Post 01 May 2020, 18:09 • #3 
Master Guide
Very clever! Have you ever thought about just using the bottom cork from the champagne plug? That is usually super grade stuff. Of course, you'll have to go through quite a bit of champagne. Such a burden!

Post 02 May 2020, 06:43 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Very cool!

Re: More Shom-PAHN-yuh
Post 02 May 2020, 08:30 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I love this reuse/re-purpose aesthetic.

Post 02 May 2020, 09:36 • #6 
Master Guide
Thanks guys.

Yes, I think using just the end caps of the corks would produce a nicer handle. I get that using the compressed chipped cork (burl?) is like building fine furniture out of particle board, but it would take about 14 corks. Something to try one day!

The rod will throw a decent foam fly. This is tied on a 6 hook but the shank is about as long as a 10.

The little bass like it.

And some larger ones too

But after I was broken off I tried a hard bodied slider.

But that’s a fly for another rod.

The good news is that the additional sanding I did on the seat allows for a much firmer hold on the reel and allowed me to fight the fish from it.

Post 02 May 2020, 10:28 • #7 
Guide
At least I am not the only one that lets some blanks age in the “cellar” like a fine wine. Great build!

Post 06 May 2020, 19:10 • #8 
Master Guide
dmiller,
Yes, especially if I'm buying lower cost blanks I like to pick up a couple! I bought three of these since the cost of shipping was about the cost of the blank.
I have one left, and the other was this build:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37919&p=124218&hilit=norie#p124218
Plus I've built up a couple of the four piece rods. My records show I have a couple more of the multipiece blanks, but I haven't laid eyes on them in a while. They must be cellaring somewhere.

And I’ve gotten around to shaping the reel seat and adding a coat of varnish

And now it’s done. :)

Post 07 May 2020, 22:17 • #9 
Sport
love the wine cork handles.I have made a few now.I check out our local recycle depot, they have a large
bin for recycling cork.I have found there are a couple of densities of the granulated corks.I like the fine ones
as they are very dense.I found the microwave works great for puffing them back to original size.3-4 corks in a 1/2
cup of water and 1 minute.done.
Just finished a rod that had been cellared for many years and gifted to me.Nice unsanded yellow glass
7 feet.works great with a 5wt line.No name on blank. Maybe oaked chardonnay.

Post 08 May 2020, 10:27 • #10 
Guide
Great repurpose build, love it!

Post 07 Jun 2020, 13:10 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I made a couple of cork seats and grips out of pieces of scrap cork and cork bottle stoppers.The first one came out great and the second one not so good.I may try it again though.

New Topic Add Reply