It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:51

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Apr 2020, 09:40 • #1 
Sport
My favorite glass rod broke clean at the metal ferrule yesterday. Should I cave to instant gratification and repair it with a blank cutoff of a piece of crap, Asian made Orvis Encounter graphite, or should I wait and get some nicer thing to repair it with, like a blank cutoff from a similar classic glass? (this is most likely a Fenwick blank because it has sizematic ferrules and that Fenwick yellow)

If anyone has a blank cutoff or lonesome section I could chop up that they'd trade for a few flies I tied, that would be great.

Post 17 Apr 2020, 10:09 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I think it depends how you want to repair it, whether with another metal ferrule, a spigot, or an external fiberglass sleeve, and whether you want to remove and rewrap guides in the process. And some of that depends on how much of the blank is broken away, and whether from the tip section or butt section.

But it sounds to me like, if you are asking, you already feel that you won't be happy with a quicky repair, so the first thing I would do is think on it while looking for a Fenwick yellow (or possibly the similar color Lami) as a source of repair stock. In the process, you may be surprised to find a NOS Fenwick yellow, already sleeve-ferruled, comparable blank and just build a new one exactly to your liking. Then you might be more satisfied with a make-do repair on the old one as a good back-up.

Or as Majicwrench mentioned in a current discussion on a broken Fenwick, sometimes you get to kind likin' the old warhorses. Another way to put it, if you don't have one or two old hounds in the kennel, you haven't got a kennel.

Post 17 Apr 2020, 10:18 • #3 
Sport
See, it's right below the butt female ferrule. I am planning to do an internal fix, epoxy and double wrap. This is my favorite glass rod. I'm still going to fish it and it should be fine. I'm kicking myself; I was thinking just before I brought it out, "Hmm, the butt is completely hollow, even right below the female ferrule which is the most high-stress point on this rod. Maybe I should slide a tight-fitting piece of blank down inside to reinforce it." But then, I was like, hey, that won't happen. Don't worry about it. Then, I brought the rod out, couple casts with a well-matched line, no sudden stresses, POP! clean break. Didn't even feel like a break. For a second I thought the ferrule must have separated, but I remembered it's a Featherweight Sizematic and was completely together, no chance it could have separated, Looked at the butt, damn. Clean off.

Post 18 Apr 2020, 10:45 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Fix it with whatever you can find. Stent does not need to be very long, an inch + on each side of break will do it.

Wonder why it broke? That is not usual glass behavior

Post 18 Apr 2020, 11:59 • #5 
Master Guide
I wouldn’t cut up a brand name rod for the stent though. Looks like they sell for $85 or so if you don’t appreciate it. That’s a pricey ‘scrap’ piece.

Post 18 Apr 2020, 12:30 • #6 
Sport
I think it has something to do with the fact that I replaced the original Sizematic ferrule with one of the same ID but about a centimeter shorter on the female ferrule. Maybe the heat did something to it (mild heat gun? wouldn't think so) or maybe the original builder had sanded down a ferrule station and not realized it would break much easier.

Post 25 Apr 2020, 16:29 • #7 
Master Guide
Mr. Samsonboi- I agree that it would be good to simply find a piece of fiberglass or graphite from any nondescript source and use that as a stent. A high-priced chunk of material would work no better. You will be the only person to know that the repair was not done with genuine parts from the private stock of Baron von Fenwick and you will be able to congratulate yourself for your elegant solution to the problem.

Post 25 Apr 2020, 19:25 • #8 
Sport
I already did. Graphite from that Encounter. JB Weld, have not wrapped over it yet but it is cured. I asked because I kind of wanted to keep it American but hey, one Chinese part won't hurt it, I guess. I had a broken section of Sage Flight that I was gonna use, but cut off the part of the taper that fit inside the glass too short.

Post 27 Apr 2020, 13:17 • #9 
Sport
Even though the repair is finished, I might describe, how I would have repaired this.( i´m from germany, and my english is only ok. nd I usely only speak but don´t write in english)
I would also have tacken a short piece, but prefferable glas, for the stent.
Then I would remove about 1/2 inch of the broken blank inside the metal ferrule, so the end of the tip/butt could slide into the metal ferulle. So the open end would be very good protected.

Post 27 Apr 2020, 13:55 • #10 
Sport
Well, thank you for your input. Wish I had thought of that. The stent seems secure; if it breaks again I will try your method. Welcome to the forum! Good place to polish up your English.

New Topic Add Reply