It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:51

New Topic Add Reply
Female ferrule touch up
Post 12 Apr 2020, 13:51 • #1 
Sport
Hey all - I tried searching the forum before asking so apologies if this has already been addressed. I have a blank where the female ferrule doesn’t seem to be cut flush. Looks like the saw drifted or was cut at a slight angle. What do you suggest using to fix this? Also would the fix differ between a glass blank and graphite? I was planning to mark the blank and try to lightly sand down the butt of the female end until it squares up but wanted to get some thoughts before I really screw something up!

Thanks
Eric

Post 12 Apr 2020, 14:24 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I wouldn't bother, but before you do anything, make sure this isn't a visual trick of a canted wrap or overrun of finish. Even if it is, I think if you just fish the rod, you'll never notice it again. Still, sometimes such things drive us nuts, and dressing it, and even rewrapping it if you wanted to, is easy enough, but I'll leave that to someone else.

Post 18 Apr 2020, 17:25 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Yea it's an easy fix if it really bothers you, but if the rod feels good and casts well I'd let her lie .....

Post 18 Apr 2020, 17:59 • #4 
Administrator
ekraushaar wrote:
Hey all - I tried searching the forum before asking so apologies if this has already been addressed. I have a blank where the female ferrule doesn’t seem to be cut flush. Looks like the saw drifted or was cut at a slight angle. What do you suggest using to fix this? Also would the fix differ between a glass blank and graphite? I was planning to mark the blank and try to lightly sand down the butt of the female end until it squares up but wanted to get some thoughts before I really screw something up!

Thanks
Eric

A rod blank? Yeah, I would sand it gently and slowly until the cut was square. I'm compulsive about such things. Wrap the ferrule with blue painters tape to keep from over sanding.

A finished rod? I would do like whrlpool says and just fish it.

Tom

Post 03 May 2020, 19:33 • #5 
Sport
Thanks Guys - yes it is a blank I will be working on finishing but the ferrule was bothering me not being square. What grit are we talking, I’m assuming something around 800-1000 to work slowly at it?

Thanks again

Post 03 May 2020, 19:50 • #6 
Piscator
I would probably do the brass ring thing that Curtis (backasswards) just completed and cover it up rather than cut into the resin.

Post 03 May 2020, 21:47 • #7 
Administrator
ekraushaar wrote:
What grit are we talking, I’m assuming something around 800-1000 to work slowly at it?

If leaving it alone, or covering it with a ferrule ring won't do, then I would hand sand with 320 grit. That will still be slow (and working slowly is good!). The 800-1000 grit sandpapers (and finer) are for flattening the cured finish before polishing.

Please post photos if you get a chance.

Tom

Post 04 May 2020, 08:02 • #8 
Piscator
Have to agree with Tom, this is a subject where photos would increase the IQ of all replies.

Post 04 May 2020, 16:05 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I guess this end cut won't hurt the rod at all, but if I wanted it it "square" (hard to do on a taper) I would make it so with something like a fingernail file, so I'd have better control of what direction the cut is applied. (those diamond dost files are quite useful) If using sandpaper, I'd first glue it to a Popsicle stick to make a file/emery board, then the removal of material would be working around the end rather than across it. To me that presents less chance of damage, but I'm a welder and a carpenter, not a real rod maker. I think it would have taken me less time to fix that than it did to three finger type this.

New Topic Add Reply