It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:06

New Topic Add Reply
rod repair - SPG 780
Post 06 Apr 2020, 09:37 • #1 
Master Guide
I mentioned in this post that I had broken my SPG780 top spigot, and got some good feedback on how to repair it.

But I opted to let it sit, broken, for about 5 years before doing something about it.

The sleeve options would be a good fix, but they weren't really the direction I wanted to head, as I wanted all three sections of the rod to be the same length. The metal ferrule option would do the trick, but I wanted to keep the rod all spigots. Knowing I had another blank that I could cut to make a new mid-section, I figured I had nothing to lose by tinkering with the old mid that had the broken section of ferrule in it.

I tried boiling the top section to heat the old epoxy I'd used and pushing on it with a small nail to try backing it out. No go.

Then I had the idea that I could create a new spigot by drilling a precise hole in the old one, and putting in a new carbon rod into that section, cylindrical into the mid section, and tapered on the top. A low probability of success, but I figured it would be fun to try. I measured the ID of the blank at the break (from the top rod section) and ordered drill bits sized to match.

I trimmed the broken bits of the spigot flush with the blank, and then tried my best to drill straight. (this was back in January of 2019, so the project hasn't been fast paced)

Then to my surprise, the drill pushed free. Turns out that I'd drilled out enough of the spigot and heated the epoxy through drilling enough that the remnant of the spigot pushed through!

Happy day. Now I could insert a new spigot through the butt of the rod section as intended. I just needed to figure what material to use for the spigot. I opted for some carbon kite building sections.

I've got it dry fit. There is a slight tick in the mid section when dry casting, but that will probably be taken up by the epoxy used to fix it in place, though I should take the time to get it right with some masking tape to build the lower thickness up to the blank ID.

Hope you found this entertaining, it's good to get some old projects moved off of the queue.

Re: rod repair - SPG 780
Post 06 Apr 2020, 09:57 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Interesting solution - I hope this works as planned.

Les

Post 06 Apr 2020, 20:56 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Is that carbon kite stuff tapered?

Post 07 Apr 2020, 02:08 • #4 
Administrator
majicwrench wrote:
Is that carbon kite stuff tapered?

It can be. You can buy solid graphite, solid fiberglass, tubes, tapered tubes, etc. The source I've used is Goodwinds. The tapered tubes are pricey compared to the solid round stock.

It helps to have a way of modifying the taper, such as a small lathe. But if you are patient hand fitting will work too.

Tom

Post 07 Apr 2020, 06:39 • #5 
Master Guide
Tom's got it. I used fine sand paper and chucked the piece of carbon into a drill as a make shift lathe. I bought the stock from Goodwinds. I bought variety of diameters to use in projects.

Post 07 Apr 2020, 10:47 • #6 
Piscator
first photo gave that sick feeling - happy to see your success

In case the question ever comes up, graphite tube is the perfect spigot for a glass fly rod.
It's an MOI issue - next to impossible to get the bulk modulus of a smaller diameter to match the larger diameter.
Using a spigot material with a higher specific modulus gets you closer to that perfect hinge-free joint.

Post 07 Apr 2020, 12:04 • #7 
Sport
Quote:
I trimmed the broken bits of the spigot flush with the blank, and then tried my best to drill straight.

Then to my surprise, the drill pushed free. Turns out that I'd drilled out enough of the spigot and heated the epoxy through drilling enough that the remnant of the spigot pushed through!

Oh, Wow … can you teach me how to do that … ?

nunc

Post 07 Apr 2020, 13:39 • #8 
Master Guide
Sure nunc.

Step 1 - have a back up plan, as this probably won't work (my plan was to make a new mid section out of another SPG780 blank)
Step 2 - I trimmed with a razor blade. I had it flush with the edge of the blank and rolled the blank while keeping pressure on the blade, but other methods will work.
Step 3 - poke a pin in the center of the old spigot to give a good center point - like a pilot hole (I actually put this divot in while trying to push out the old spigot with a nail after I'd heated the area with boiling water.)
Step 3a - (I left this one out) source a drill bit that is the same diameter as the opening in the female section of your old ferrule. You can get machinist bits fairly precise.
Step 4 - I used the removable chuck of my drill to hold the bit and twisted it by hand, going slow to be sure I was in the center.
Step 5 - Keep double checking that the 'dust' the bit was producing was white - the color of my spigot not the color of the blank
Step 6 - after getting about 1 cm or 1/4 inch in or so, I figured that the hole was deep enough to guide the bit straight (and I was tired of hand turning) so I used the drill motor and started removing material faster.
- continuously repeat step 5
Step 7 - get lucky and have the old spigot break free.

As I mentioned, my plan was to drill the hole and put a cylindrical piece in from the top, the fact that the old one popped out in entirety was a nice surprise. I was then able to use a larger diameter carbon cylinder and taper it to hold in the mid blank, rather than one that would fit through the narrower end.

Post 07 Apr 2020, 15:57 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Nice Going + 1 for hoping it works.
Good thing is you have other options if needed.
Tight Lines And Repaired Loops.
Andy M

Post 10 Apr 2020, 10:36 • #10 
Master Guide
Last night I trimmed up the back end of the new spigot, smeared epoxy in from the top and dropped the spigot into place.

This morning I felt it was ready for a trial run.

I’d forgotten how nice this rod casts! Maybe it’s that I was casting a briminator rather than the poppers or 3/0 bass streamers I’d been using with a 7 weight lately.

It works!

Post 10 Apr 2020, 12:32 • #11 
Guide
Nice project…did the same repair with an old Hardy glass blank, only difference I was using solid fiberglass for the spigot.
…and as mentioned a small lathe comes in really handy.

Post 11 Apr 2020, 12:10 • #12 
Master Guide
Hey moose. Did you drill a broken spigot out as well? I’m happy you had success. A Hardy rod is higher stakes than this one, especially since I had a backup blank in reserve if I messed it up.

New Topic Add Reply