It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:37

New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Mar 2020, 16:56 • #1 
Guide
Hi All,
Found a fenwick FF85 (free) and the female ferrule has some 1/4 to 1/2" cracks at the open end. It looks like something crushed this end previously as the guide right on the ferrule is a little out of shape. I am concerned that if i use it like this it will crack more and completely break.
Will a ferrule trim band be enough to keep this from cracking more or completely breaking?
Any other advice to repair this for use? I will try to squeeze the guide back into shape before resorting to replacing it.

thanks

Post 22 Mar 2020, 17:10 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
pictures always help, ferule rings do reinforce and the wrappings on that guide are there for reinforcement
a better fix if it is badly split might be to remove the guide, put on a sleeve and replace the guide.
Are the splits through the wall of the rod or just on the inside surface?

Post 22 Mar 2020, 18:49 • #3 
Guide
Sorry - i don't have a way to post photos.
it looks like the cracks go all the way thru and i will have to remove the guide either way because the wraps extend to the end of the ferrule over the cracks.
I have an old broken spinning rod i use as a donor for repairs so i will get a section to use as a sleeve and re-wrap a new guide.

thanks for the tip.

Post 23 Mar 2020, 09:08 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Seems like most of those Fenwicks develop cracks, yet I have never seen them get to the point of disaster.

Is it a 3pc rod?? I ask because I had a 3pc FF85 20 years ago that got shut in a car door ( thanks ex-wife) and the female ferrule of one section got slightly crushed. I still fished that rod hard for many years before I loaned it to a buddy .....and hopefully he or somebody else is still fishing the rod.

Sure put a sleeve over it or a ring if you wish.

Post 23 Mar 2020, 09:49 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I agree magicwrench, most don't, that wrap gives a lot of reinforcement and I'd probably just use it til it got really bad, that's why I suggested pictures and asked about the severity. The fix of ring or sleeve could still be accomplished after the split opens more, if it ever does. It may not ever get worse.

Post 23 Mar 2020, 10:15 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
In 50 years have had more broken Fenwick ferrules cross my bench than all the other rod manufactures rods combined.
99% Were damaged and cracked because of misuse,either dirt in the ferrule or jamming the union too far together.

Fact ; If folks follow the manufacturers instructions that are on the rod blank,keep the ferrules clean and waxed they would never have a problem.

Sounds like you have a good action plan for getting the rod back on the water,the best fix however is to just epoxy the 2 sections together and fish the rod as a 1 piece.
Maybe not the most complex repair but certainly the best,The ferrule will never give you any more trouble.
Tight Lines And Ferrulelight Loops
Andy Man

Post 23 Mar 2020, 11:09 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Andy,can you do this on a spigot ferrule?I bought a 5'9? cgr 3wt when cabelas was merging for 25 bucks.It is a 3wt and the mid section keeps getting loose.I am teaching my grandson to cast with this one.It is going to take beating i just dont want it coming apart when we get to actual fishing.

Post 23 Mar 2020, 16:21 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
You know the old saying if it ain't broke.
Why not try taping the union with some duct tape or electrical tape,allot of guys do that when they go cold weather fishing,ice and snow ferrules tend to loosen.

Or you could try waxing the ferrule what exactly is the problem ?
You may just want to trim the female to increase the gap unless of course the blanks cracked ?
If that's the case then yes the easiest fix would be epoxy the ferrule union together.

Tight Lines And Epoxy It And Forget It Loops
Andy M

Post 23 Mar 2020, 17:42 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Pragmatism is good. You could even have him wrap the tape and thereby gradually learn both pragmatism and mindfulness that a ferrule needs to be snug. Very few kinds are totally resistant to loosening in some odd circumstance, often a result of the other reality that very few anglers will ever completely avoid a moment of carelessness that results in loose assembly or a gradually loosened ferrule going unnoticed. A habit of routine checking--almost automatically--is the best practice I know, same way you develop a rhythm of glancing in the rearview mirror when driving. I do it every time I reel up to move, change a fly, check a leader, and so on.

Tape ain't bad for a kid !

Unnecessary instead, but a touch more upscale and more likely to require grown-up help in assembling or disassembling the rod--would be vinyl tubing or rubber tubing if you luck into some just the right diameter to stretch well over each section. It can be left in place on the uppermost section. Between a hardware store or vacuum tubing at an autoparts store, easy to get. Clear is commonly available.

Doubt it strengthens anything at all; it definitely restrains the sections from loosening and then being at risk of damage.

One of the most damage prone ferrules ever, as fitted on the first System G graphite blanks and factory rods. These were pretty much not if they would loosen and break, but when. Having repaired one with a conventional metal ferrule,and then a sleeve, I have another one that never did break yet because the tubing restraint I added. I used both as knockabouts for years. When one of my grandsons gets a little older and has learned not to break an entire rod, I'll give it to him and enjoy watching him work that ferrule over.

A snug sleeve of surgical tubing will hold a spigot-ferrule from working loose unnoticed, which can cause any ferrule to fail, but adds little strength as such.

Post 24 Mar 2020, 09:36 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Andy brings back memories.....when we were kids steelhead/salmon fishing we used electrical tape on the ferrules and the reel seat, didn't want either working loose AND the tape was warmer than the metal on the seat.

When Tip over butt came out, I really didn't like it, looks like crap IMHO and seemed to loosen more than the good ole metal ferrule. Tape!!

Post 24 Mar 2020, 11:21 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks guys.The rod has only had a few casting sessions and i think it was just a bad fit.Always have a roll of electrical tape in my bag.This rod also has 2 rings to hold the reel.It is a better casting rod than i thought but the section just lets loose.The kid wont mind the tape ,He thought he broke it,my fault as i usually dont let him mess with my flyrods as some would be hard to replace,

Post 24 Mar 2020, 11:34 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Try rubbing a candle on the male part. I keep a couple birthday candles in the vest just for that purpose for all my rods.

Post 24 Mar 2020, 16:06 • #13 
Guide
Thanks for all the replies. I think what I'll do is clean the ferrules, take it in the yard and cast it and if it works keep using it til it breaks, then either sleeve it if possible or make it a 1 piece rod.

thanks again.

Post 24 Mar 2020, 16:43 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Sorry Kb,did not mean to hijack your inquiry.Should have PMed Andy.

Post 24 Mar 2020, 16:56 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I would strip the guide and wrap off and do a good examine. If the split mates up cleanly then I would stabilize it. some people suggest using thin CA (supeglue) to get into the cracks and let that harden. I"ve never bothered with that.

I would rewrap the ferrule making sure to go as far as the crack goes (and a touch longer) so it doesn't get worse. The thread will provide hoop strength.

When rewrapping, you will want the male portion fit inside the female, but you don't want to force it in before the wrap is started. If you wrap without a support inside, the compression of the thread can deform the ferrule. If you push the butt section in too much without the wrap, it can split the ferrule further. But if you rewrap and epoxy it, it should be good for a long time.

New Topic Add Reply