It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:47

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Mar 2020, 03:05 • #1 
Sport
Good morning all. This is the first rod build in ages for me, and the first semi-decent fiberglass blank, even if it's a cheapie!
The build is on a 7' 3 weight, 3 piece Ultraglass oriental blank, which has a surface blemish and was marked down in price.
I must say, I wasn't sure if I should post this, as my workmanship is not up to the board members usual standard, but even with mistakes, I'm happy with the rod as a using rod, not a showpiece.
The reel seat is for a graphite rod and needed a lot of reaming out. Then I couldn't source cork rings, so ended up making a plan. I laminated 4 3mm cork tiles together, and then cut rings out with a hole saw. Just for fun, I also made up a trim ring using darker cork / rubber gasket material.
My Flexcoat finishing leaves a lot to be desired, and on finishing the signature trim wraps, the end of one thread floated/ pulled loose. I decided to leave it be, as this is my rod, not for sale or show, and I was worried that I would end up making a bigger mess!

This rod may not be pretty, but it's mine, and I'm actually quite pleased with the overall effect. Just need to get it out on the water soon.

Thank you all for having a look, and also for all the amazing information so willingly shared on this site.

All the best, Mike.

Post 20 Mar 2020, 06:55 • #2 
Master Guide
From what I see it looks great! You're going to get a lot of good use out of that. I've used alternative cork before too Champagne corks, coasters. I like it. You had me expecting big globs on your finish work when I read your description, but those look smooth and flat. Well done.

Post 20 Mar 2020, 07:07 • #3 
Sport
Thank you ColdPass, appreciate it. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so my mistakes bug me, and I know where they are. The next one will be better! All the best, Mike.

Post 20 Mar 2020, 10:01 • #4 
Master Guide
I like it, great job! I also like the idea of cork tiles.

Bruce

Post 20 Mar 2020, 10:07 • #5 
Guide
It looks good and will fish well. Small mistakes are what makes us better craftsmen the next time we build. Enjoy the rod and fish it hard.

Post 20 Mar 2020, 11:25 • #6 
Sport
Thank you Bruce and Specialk, kind of you to comment. I can't wait to get it on the water. All the best, Mike.

Post 20 Mar 2020, 12:46 • #7 
Guide
Small pictures but looks good to me .

Post 20 Mar 2020, 15:28 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Looks great!

Post 20 Mar 2020, 15:48 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Serious fun. Did it come w spigots or did you install em?

Post 20 Mar 2020, 16:18 • #10 
Master Guide
Mike-

Very nice, and good job being resourceful with the grip. Hopefully it gets fished hard!

Post 20 Mar 2020, 16:24 • #11 
Master Guide
Nicely done.

Post 20 Mar 2020, 17:31 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
fine work for a first rod.. I rebuilt my first rod three times over ten years, before I got it nearly right ;-) The fish didn't seem to mind my rough first build luckily..

Flexcoat does give a decent functional quick finish, but I've always struggled to get it looking good. These days just use varnish on everything, seems a bit easier to get a good finish, plus it gives me more play time with the rod build.. ha.

Post 20 Mar 2020, 18:04 • #13 
Master Guide
Nice going !!! And I think you'll like the rod as well - don't be afraid to use a 4wt line on it.

Post 23 Mar 2020, 02:18 • #14 
Sport
Thank you all for the positive reaction. Magicwrench, the blank was supplied with spigots already fitted.
Springer, thanks, I'll try it out with a couple of different lines, but have a feeling that a DT4 might just do the trick.
All the best, and stay safe, Mike.

Post 25 Mar 2020, 00:06 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Nice work. You seriously sold your skills short.

I am currently building up a couple of rods that are in the "cheap as possible" category. They won't be perfect, but I'm excited just to have them for fishing. That's what matters.

Make sure to post a write-up after you have given it some nice time on the water.

Post 25 Mar 2020, 03:50 • #16 
Sport
Thank you Glacier Rambler, I appreciate the kind comments. The closest I can get to fishing it is test casting in the swimming pool since we're about to be locked down for 21 days. Anyway, once things get back to normal, I will be giving it a good session on the water and I'll let you know how it performs. All the best, Mike.

New Topic Add Reply