It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:38

New Topic Add Reply
Bamboo tip
Post 07 Mar 2020, 17:47 • #1 
Guide
Does anyone make a bamboo rod with a tip over but system instead of the metal fittings ? Inquiring minds and all . lol

Re: Bamboo tip
Post 07 Mar 2020, 23:53 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
There are several makers building rods with bamboo ferrules that I believe are all tip over butt, including FireyRods of Italy and Calviello rods of Argentina. I believe there are a few makers here in the US, but I don't know who. And, of course, our own Bob Hallowell who is building some boo rods with fiberglass spigot ferrules. Check the Search function under Rod Photos for "bamboo rod with fiberglass ferrules".

Larry

Post 08 Mar 2020, 07:13 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
It can be done. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=62062&p=315713&hilit=fiberglass+ferrule#p315713 Realistically, the purpose and design would be completely different than any of the 'glass forms because the material and construction of the rod itself is so different. The rod itself is solid in cross section/ and or fragile to internal pressure if hollowed.

Post 08 Mar 2020, 09:17 • #4 
Piscator
bamboo-to-bamboo sleeve ferrule also adds a nasty splitting load to the six-strip glue on the female sleeve, though Marcello Caviello has made this work.
The mixed-MOC sleeve that Steve linked looks intuitively stronger.
MOI considerations are that any sleeve diameter increase adds local stiffness, so mixed MOC spigot might be the best idea for rod action.

It's also an MOI consideration that hollow-built cane is inherently stiffer than full-thickness 6-strip. While that goes against intuition, it's proved in the math that an internal surface adds stiffness.

Post 08 Mar 2020, 09:55 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Are spigots considered as tip over butt? To me they aren't and with that in mind are there any modern tip over butt rods being made?

Post 08 Mar 2020, 10:43 • #6 
Guide
I have at least cast a cane rod that was made by using the BOBFS (Bamboo over Bamboo Ferrule System). It was a fast action 6-foot 3-weight built from matake bamboo by Dilvo Favretto. The female section is made by including a swell in the cane so there is sufficient wall thickness to prevent splitting.

A video was made showing the same rod in action, with the angler/builder landing a nice rainbow in fast water. I did the translation of the transcript. You can get the translation by doing the following. In the lower right hand corner there is a gear-shaped icon. Click on the icon, then where it says “legendas/cc” click on “desativado”. Then click on “Inglês (Estados Unidos”).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrG3NO3RCHw

If the link doesn't work you can copy and paste the url into your browser.

For the builder it is advantageous to use the same material throughout the rod, since quality nickel silver ferrules can get expensive. The bamboo ferrules can be engineered differently to provide various qualities.

Post 08 Mar 2020, 10:58 • #7 
Piscator
you may be mistaking considerations for condemnations - the math is real, doesn't mean it can't be addressed in the design.

Post 08 Mar 2020, 14:52 • #8 
Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
you may be mistaking considerations for condemnations - the math is real, doesn't mean it can't be addressed in the design.

Am I missing something? I had perceived no condemnation in whatever anybody had said, but simply provided more information. To me one downside of the BOBFS is that it causes an apparent bulge in the cane compared to adjacent areas of the blank. Aesthetically, the fiberglass ferrule approach provides a much slicker appearance. At this point, and possibly at any time in the future, I’m no maker of bamboo blanks. But building in cane appeals to me because with fiberglass blanks, most builders can do little more than evaluate a given blank and build on it. The bamboo builder can choose whichever taper he wants or tweak existing tapers.

Post 08 Mar 2020, 15:11 • #9 
Sport
Jory Ward makes some beautiful bamboo ferruled rods

Post 08 Mar 2020, 15:39 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Easy to see examples with a simple Google or Bing search like "bamboo ferrule." Many of the links will be to Clark's. Ingenuity of craft, and a different look for sure.

Post 10 Mar 2020, 14:43 • #11 
Guide
Thank you for the replies .

Post 10 Mar 2020, 14:49 • #12 
Guide
PampasPete wrote:
I have at least cast a cane rod that was made by using the BOBFS (Bamboo over Bamboo Ferrule System). It was a fast action 6-foot 3-weight built from matake bamboo by Dilvo Favretto. The female section is made by including a swell in the cane so there is sufficient wall thickness to prevent splitting.

A video was made showing the same rod in action, with the angler/builder landing a nice rainbow in fast water. I did the translation of the transcript. You can get the translation by doing the following. In the lower right hand corner there is a gear-shaped icon. Click on the icon, then where it says “legendas/cc” click on “desativado”. Then click on “Inglês (Estados Unidos”).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrG3NO3RCHw

If the link doesn't work you can copy and paste the url into your browser.

For the builder it is advantageous to use the same material throughout the rod, since quality nickel silver ferrules can get expensive. The bamboo ferrules can be engineered differently to provide various qualities.

Thank you Pete , nice video and the look on that guys face was very happy and priceless .

Post 12 Mar 2020, 19:27 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I have built several tip over where I "swelled" the bottom of the tip and hollowed it to slide over the butt. I mostly build fiberglass spigots.

Bob

New Topic Add Reply