It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:54

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Feb 2020, 02:55 • #1 
I wanted to build my own rod for a quite some time, even though I have virtually no conditions to do so (little or no tools, small apartment, two small kids creating dust storms, wife).

At one point I was tired of waiting, and decided to force it.
And to my surprise, it went relatively well.

Highlight of the build was assembling Lego's into wrapping rig with my kids.

To be clear - technically, the build is far from perfect, but I'll remember it with smile when I cast. I believe that's important.

So, forcing it sometimes is not the worst idea. :D

Wiggling snugly between Lego rubber wheels is 8 foot CTS quartz that takes #4 lines.

Last edited by Storvagun on 24 Feb 2020, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

Post 24 Feb 2020, 04:44 • #2 
Master Guide
Way cool, plus involving the youngsters, A+

Post 24 Feb 2020, 07:02 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Perfect.

Post 24 Feb 2020, 08:20 • #4 
Master Guide
Nicely done!

Post 24 Feb 2020, 11:10 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Very innovative, and a great way to get the entire family involved!

Post 24 Feb 2020, 12:52 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
A+ for creativity. Rod building is more than rod building when you can include teachable moments as in your example.

Post 24 Feb 2020, 13:37 • #7 
Sport
That is amazing, congrats on the builds!

Post 24 Feb 2020, 17:29 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I am watching a 7yo play with legos as i type.Well done.

Post 24 Feb 2020, 17:49 • #9 
Guide
Very resourceful and well executed. I love it!

Post 24 Feb 2020, 17:55 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
A brilliant use of the kids' time and toys. And the kids get to feel like like they really contributed to building the rod. I may have to put my grandson to work with his Legos.

Larry

Post 25 Feb 2020, 11:51 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
That is genius!!!

Post 25 Feb 2020, 12:20 • #12 
Master Guide
Someday you'll look back on this with fond memories. Well done.

Post 25 Feb 2020, 15:13 • #13 
Thanks guys (and girls)!

This is how it looks when moving:

It was really nice experience (however, sometimes even stressful).
But most of the stress was brought on by myself. I used completely inappropriate wrapping thread, I ordered green but I liked black better.
The problem was that the black thread is plain fly tying thread, thin and prone to fuzzing. Which made the whole wrapping experience filled with sweat and words my kids did not quite understand. But my wife did.

The problems did not stop there, since all of those imperfections affected how the wraps behaved when covered with thread finish glue. I used lighter to burn some of wild threads sticking, but some of them were really persistent. Only after third layer of finish glue, wraps started looking like something I won't be completely embarrassed about.

Anyhow, as Baldknobber1 noticed, there will be fond memories to cherish. And there will be remembrance of my wife's facial expression when I told her I'll use part of our kitchen for "gluing some stuff on the rod" and it will be off limits for her and the kids. :D
I wonder what she would say if she knew I'm eyeing Epic 686.

Again, thanks for the nice words.

Post 25 Feb 2020, 17:45 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
That is way better than having the cat help you. Way, way better. Thanks for describing. Not every would-be hobbyist wants or is able to have dedicated tools and shop space. But every rod building hobbyist can get a satisfactory result that produces a good fishing rod.

Now the next point is a little harder to say, and I hope I am wrong. If you used prewaxed flytying thread, or just thread very much dirtied or with skin/finger oils from use and staying out on the flytying table, you might want to consider correcting that now. I thought of it because, well, it was flytying thread, and more so because you mention having irregularities in the finish through the first three coats. That suggests waxed thread or some other contamination derived from the flytying process.

It will be easier to improve this now rather than later for a more Lego-worth-it outcome.

The less time the wraps are on there, the easier to remove. They may even unwind/peel very easily now after a starting cut, and you can have the rod ready to go--Lego tool not yet disassembled--when your chosen color and thread type arrives. You will want to be careful that the finish hasn't bonded to the rod such that it peels the coating when removed. Blank finishes vary in their susceptibility to this, and I can't say for sure about the one shown. Except, again, if waxed or siliconed thread were used, the finish is probably not hard and secure, and probably softest on the first coat.

Rewrapping and finishing could be just as much fun, and it is way easier the second time if, assuming you got the spacing and alignment to your liking, you remove one wrap per guide at a time such that little to no realignment is needed. Clean up the one wrap area and then rewrap that guide foot with the new thread. Then remove the wrap from the other foot and redo that one.

Again, hope I am wrong, but hope this helps if I am not.

It's going to look great either way, but the finish, if compromised now, will keep it looking good much longer if it is redone now.

Post 25 Feb 2020, 18:49 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
terrific, love the idea..

Post 27 Feb 2020, 13:52 • #16 
@whrlpool

I have listened to your advice, and stripped these wraps(glued) from the blank.
I can do it better. :) I'll use better thread, I'll glue it better.

Only question that I have - for some of you more experienced guys - How do I remove thin layer of thread finisher that was left under the wraps?
Is there some elegant way, or I just patiently scratch it off with my fingernail?

Post 28 Feb 2020, 04:31 • #17 
If moderators do not mind, I'll continue this saga here. It might help some poor soul that is going through similar problems.
Using scalpel, fingernail and old credit card I was able to significantly clean the blank from remains of old wraps. The final touch was when I used hairdryer and I carefully heated the remains of wrap glue, which I was then able to just wipe off with old towel.

Now I have perfectly clean blank.

Due to initial failures with wraps and incorrect mixture of the wrap finish - this build is now basically a failed build and restoration project to some extent.
/facepalm

Post 28 Feb 2020, 07:38 • #18 
Guide
Great thread Storvagun. It demonstrates how a small amount of equipment, combined with some ingenuity and attention to detail, can result in a fine fishing instrument that will be enjoyed for many years.

Jeff

Post 28 Feb 2020, 10:09 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
No, no, no. This is no failure at all. Success is just the other side of failure.

Post 29 Feb 2020, 06:14 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with whrlpool, you are learning by doing. You know just what to do on the next one, and oh yes, welcome to the slippery slope that is rod building!

New Topic Add Reply