It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:03

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Feb 2020, 15:46 • #1 
Need to get some opinions on thread wrapping color for a new project I'll be working on.
Looking to do a bit of a retro classic type look. Anyone got some thoughts?

Post 19 Feb 2020, 15:50 • #2 
Guide
Amber blank, lets see, red, brown, dark orange are my usual picks.

Post 19 Feb 2020, 16:11 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Gray, brown, black, highland green, bright red, or match thread to rod color.

Post 19 Feb 2020, 16:12 • #4 
Piscator
here's a Lami honey blank with claret wraps and yellow (mustard?) tipping finished by Dwight Lyons
not sure how the blank color compares to amber

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 19 Feb 2020, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

Post 19 Feb 2020, 17:07 • #5 
Master Guide
I'm a big fan of brown on amber blanks.

Post 19 Feb 2020, 17:08 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
A color darker than the blank but with its colors tones (rust red, claret,maroon,medium brown for the primary wrap) tan or gold for tipping if any is used. About as shown above. These are the can't go wrong, always-look-classic combinations. No inspiration needed, true enough; that has already been taken care of. They are not retro, really, though. Timeless classic. Many great color schemes would work, and others will probably be suggested and, I hope, with pics to show how fine they look. Nevertheless, most will look better in studio lighting than natural light, and many will feel more pleasing/creative/inspired. For a while. The pleasing perception will fade long before the actual colors of any combination. Then the classic combinations will be the most enduring in visual appeal, especially when the rod is in use.

Post 19 Feb 2020, 17:25 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with most -- dark orange to dark brown are my choices. if you like the look of clear wraps you could try a light orange thread. post pictures of your blank. best is to try a few different color thread wraps on your blank and apply your finish and see what you prefer.

Last edited by picketpin52 on 19 Feb 2020, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

Post 19 Feb 2020, 19:30 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with the advice above, but will say I have an amber/yellow blank on the way and I'm seriously thinking about experimenting with some Pro Wrap Orange/Black Tiger Thread on it!

Post 20 Feb 2020, 09:57 • #9 
Master Guide
NOCP thread.

Post 20 Feb 2020, 16:56 • #10 
Thanks gents. all good stuff. I like the red to be the accent, tipping color with likely a yellow/amber primary.

Post 20 Feb 2020, 17:52 • #11 
Master Guide

This is Fuji non preserved chestnut poly on a Lamiglas honey blank.

Post 20 Feb 2020, 18:47 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Very fine. Chestnut is right in the range many have mentioned. That pic shows why.

Post 20 Feb 2020, 19:10 • #13 
Master Guide
The color really pops on blanks with that Fuji thread as well. Very nice to work with too.

Post 21 Feb 2020, 16:14 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Here is a topic that has, literally, been beautifully covered with pics and comments. So fine-point followups. The less contrast between blank and primary wrap, the less gaps in the wrap show. We know how to avoid them, but even then, sometimes slight checking of the finish lets the wrap or guide shift. Combinations of various earth tones in the amber to reddish-brown range seem to blend to the eye better. In a sense, for "vintage" or "retro," we don't want the wrap color to "pop," but to complement--which is why it "pops," but subtly and without being garish or gawdy. Second, the color combos discussed can all be finished beautifully with two-part finishes and color preserver (or NCP thread) but they are all good ones for finishing without CP. Conventional spar varnish will add depth and character through its very slight amber tinge. Conventional varnish also invites experimentation with different gloss levels. High gloss will look great, but satin can be very pleasing, too. It would be a no-brainer to me to use high gloss spar-varnish but that's been my favorite for a long, long time, and for ease of use and quality of protection more than appearance. With the combos suggested, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the various finish choices--a rich, earth-toned finish that looks even better in natural light will be the outcome.

New Topic Add Reply