It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 03:07

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Feb 2020, 13:54 • #1 
Hi Folks, does anyone know the specs of the thread used on the Scientific Anglers 'System" rods? I have broken a guide on my beloved vintage rod and want to rewrap in the original colour! I understand finding the true original may be difficult what would be the closest to the original copper/gold thread?

Post 12 Feb 2020, 15:02 • #2 
Sport
Gudebrod? Anyway, if the wraps are intact buy a Recoil guide from REC. You can squeeze it up, slip it into place, and let go and it will spring right back. They are the only guides I buy besides for actual vintage guides which I put on bamboo rods.

Post 12 Feb 2020, 15:27 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I have a BUNCH of colored markers, most from when my daughters were young! some are clearish, some not, I use them often when trying to make wraps look like the original.

I second trying to not disturb thread and slip a new one in. You don't need a recoil although they make it a bit easier. Nothing to lose, give it a try!

It's also possible most times to use original thread over again, just unwrap with care.

Post 12 Feb 2020, 15:51 • #4 
Sport
Yes, that is correct. I just use RECoil guides because it is almost impossible to damage one, since the titanium alloy flexes very well and isn't damaged. I tend to think if you bend a metal guide it fatigues the metal. It will break much more easily after that. Also, if they are cheap guides it will fracture the finish, which in turn will score your line.

Post 19 Feb 2020, 15:46 • #5 
Guide
At least two years ago I was in the same boat. I was looking to rebuild a System 5 and wanted the same threads. I called Rick's Rods, Denver, as I'd read they had bought a ton of Gudebrod thread. To make a long story short, the thread was going to cost about $75 after I sent some samples they could match. I decided red would look great. Now the red thread, Snake guides, etc, etc, are still sitting on m bench. The two "temporary" guides are still working, although they are wrapped in Fenwick brown.

New Topic Add Reply