It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:16

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Feb 2020, 20:51 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Just got these two blanks today - a Phillipson and a Lamiglas. I searched the forum for any info and found nothing on the Lami FL906M and one mention of the Phillipson C802 6/7wt- under a discussion of favorite 6 wts. I guess the C802 blank was part of a rod building kit that Phillipson put out. The Lami has a spigot ferrule and feels quite faster than your typical Lami Honey. I didn't measure, but the butt on the Lami is quite a bit bigger than the Phillipson. I've seen quite a lot about Phillipson's on the forum but have never held one. Giving this blank a wiggle, I think I am already in love! Anyone have any experience with these blanks? Would the Phillipson blank match up with a factory model?

A couple photos:

Post 01 Feb 2020, 21:50 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
they look like they just left the factory -- beautiful blanks. others will chime in with comments specific to your blanks, but i don't see how you can lose given their provenenance. fun projects. will make fine fishing rods. enjoy.

Post 01 Feb 2020, 23:04 • #3 
Administrator
If you build them, they will fish... Or something like that. You have two, nice, old school blanks to work with.

The Phillipson should be similar to an 8 foot Royal Wand. The color is similar. I haven't met a glass ferruled Phillipson rod that I didn't like. With the 3M marking on the rod, the blank would have been made around 1973-74 in the Phillipson factory, before 3M disassembled/moved/mismanaged it into non-existence. Rick's Rods in Denver has the remainder of the Phillipson rod components. You may wish to give them a call or an email to see what is still in stock.

If the Lami markings are typical, you have a fly rod, 90 inches long (7'6"), for a 6 weight line, and with a 'medium' action. There is no indication this was/was not a factory ferruled blank. For years a 7'6" rod for a 6 weight line was standard offering for many companies - such as the Fenwick FF756, Phillipson Epoxite EF76, Garcia Conolon 7'6" Wulff, and dozens of others. Your blank may have been a standard Lami model years back, but now it would be a special order. In the current yellow Lami lineup, the 7'6" blank is a 4 weight. Given the Phillipson it was sold with it could be from the 70s also. Because it is an old school blank, it might be fun to do very modern hardware.

Tom

Post 01 Feb 2020, 23:40 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Nice - can't wait to see them built out!

Post 02 Feb 2020, 00:34 • #5 
Sport
I had that exact Lamiglass blank in a one piece that I picked up in the very early 70's from a shop in Detroit somewhere. I also had the 9' 6 wt in a one piece blank. It really didn't get fished much because it was impossible to haul around.
It was a sweet casting rod using a SA double taper.
The one piece just made it hard to transport and I sold it to a guy who was going to keep it at his camp and not try to haul it around.

Post 03 Feb 2020, 08:53 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks everyone! Richard, good to hear you liked the Lami blank.

Anyone have 8' Phillipson guide spacing they would care to share? I have a place to start and will adjust accordingly, but it seems like every photo of a 8' Phillipson I have seen, has a guide right above glass ferrule and thread wrapped up the "ramp" of that ferrule - is that universally true?

Also, I haven't done any measurements, but Phillipson's must not have had very long reel seats or grips. I looks like I would wind up covering the Phillipson writing if I went too big.

Post 03 Feb 2020, 11:37 • #7 
Master Guide
The Phillipson most likely would have a 6.5" grip. I have a rod I can measure if that helps for the grip & guides.

Post 03 Feb 2020, 11:44 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
That would be great, Oldschoolcane. I would really appreciate that. Thanks!

Post 03 Feb 2020, 21:52 • #9 
Inactive
Damn good haul!

Post 04 Feb 2020, 06:37 • #10 
Piscator
Gol !!!

Post 04 Feb 2020, 11:32 • #11 
Master Guide
Correction - the grip is actually 5-7/8" on my rod.
Here's the guide placement measurements, from the tip down towards the butt.

Tip
1 - 3.5"
2 - 8"
3 - 13"
4 - 19.5"
5 - 28"
6 - 37"
7 - 46"
8 - 58" stripping guide

Please let me know if you need anything else, happy to help.

Post 04 Feb 2020, 20:29 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks so much Oldschool!!!

Post 06 Feb 2020, 08:29 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Driftless wrote:
Thanks everyone! Richard, good to hear you liked the Lami blank.

Anyone have 8' Phillipson guide spacing they would care to share? I have a place to start and will adjust accordingly, but it seems like every photo of a 8' Phillipson I have seen, has a guide right above glass ferrule and thread wrapped up the "ramp" of that ferrule - is that universally true?

Also, I haven't done any measurements, but Phillipson's must not have had very long reel seats or grips. I looks like I would wind up covering the Phillipson writing if I went too big.

Rick's Rods can help there, and they have old cork grips as well. Those are great blanks!

Post 06 Feb 2020, 11:19 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I've got a call into Rick's and they are checking on components!

New Topic Add Reply