It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:57

New Topic Add Reply
Wooden Grips
Post 15 Jan 2020, 14:22 • #1 
Guide
As some of you may know, I have been building with Wooden grips for the past couple of years. I am pleased to announce a new side project making these same grips for other builders looking for a unique touch for their next build. I am now taking commissions for grip builds under the banner Red Oak Rod Building and Woodcraft on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/Red-Oak-Rod-Bu ... 484804812/

Below are some of my prior grip builds. Please contact me here or on facebook with any questions you may have.

This is my go to bass rod with an olivewood grip

This grip is redwood lace burl and works great on my 3 wt

This is a combination grip I did for my trout spey. It's made out of amboyna burl and birch bark.

Re: Wooden Grips
Post 15 Jan 2020, 15:27 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Wow! Those are beautiful!

Post 20 Jan 2020, 08:32 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Outstanding!

Post 20 Jan 2020, 20:55 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Nice looking

Post 21 Jan 2020, 18:14 • #5 
Guide
I heartily agree with all that has already been said about your wooden grips and reel seats, but let’s take this a little further.

Many people would bring up these doubts, so I also will, rather or not it really reflects my thoughts.

First of all, cork seems like a more traditional material. But weren’t wooden rod grips around before cork became popular? Another doubt that may come up is whether wood grips are more slippery than cork. Not to mention that cork has a dampening effect. But wait, does that mean that wooden grips might make a rod more sensitive? Perhaps you have some insight on that.

Now, we can also talk about weight. We might think that cork is the best choice in this regard. If the wooden grips are hollowed out, as well as whether the wood chosen is light or heavy, could wooden grips be about as light as cork ones?

These are just some random thoughts because it seems very refreshing to see alternatives to cork for rod grips and reel seats.

Post 21 Jan 2020, 19:53 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Very nice work your doing on your reel seat inserts and grips.
Wood Grips are not something new they have been around as long as fishing rods have been being made.
I'm very busy with my own work or I'd share some photo's of my wood grips.

Personally I really like stacked red Cedar it's not much heavier than cork,it turns about the same actually and sure looks pretty when your finished.

I'll see if I can find a picture sooner than later.

Keep up the nice work we like wood grips around here.

Tight Lines And Random Loops
Andy M
Here are a couple more turned from white Ceder.
The Name Of The Rod Was "The Fly Woodie" AKA "Little Pecker Wood"

Last edited by The Glass Master on 22 Jan 2020, 09:46, edited 2 times in total.

Post 21 Jan 2020, 19:59 • #7 
Guide
Exceptional work...

Post 27 Jan 2020, 08:27 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful work! The Red Cedar handle is especially nice. both the wood and the shape.

Fly Woodie Grips
Post 27 Jan 2020, 11:52 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks the stacked red Cedar is actually a replica of the grips Vince Cummings used on his little small stream rods,the end cap and ring actaully came from Vince Cummings materials.
The front where I made it a superfine style is a modification I added,my version of the Orvis style.

Makes for a super sensitive feel, the direct connection of the wood to blank without the dampening of the cork makes for fewer missed strikes with these little small stream rods.

Personally I would never put a wood grip on any rod over 6 1/2' or 7' feet in length.
When we get to a rod length where we are carrying more line a loft,tuning over larger flies etc I find that the wood grip has a very detrimental effects,first your hand becomes cramped,then your wrist becomes painful,it can also cause elbow and shoulder pain,rotatory cup issues.

We use cork for a reason, the dampening /cushioning that cork provides has it's purpose.
I have found that the same is true of other materials also unless cork is the foundation.
The reason Retain works is because it's got the cork as a dampening base.
As long as the Retain isn't covered with epoxy,because the epoxy negates the cork base cushioning.
I learned that the hard way. :)

Tight Lines And Wood Grips In Moderation Loops
Andy M

Post 27 Jan 2020, 13:00 • #10 
Guide
Thanks all for your input. I do think it's worth addressing the weight question. Wood is undoubtedly heavier than cork. For instance, my standard 7 inch wood grip in maple burl, stabilized, weighs in at close to 2 1/2 ounces. The same grip in redwood stabilized, 1 1/2, unstabilized pine, closer to 1 1/8. A similar (albiet less beefy) cork equivalent will run betweem 3/8 and 1/2. However, this weight ends up being less of an issue than you think. The main reason is that this weight is all located at the fulcrum if the rod is balanced correctly. Therefore it is not weight that is moving as much. Furthermore, since the weight is close to the fulcrum it has less leverage to effect balance than say your reel at the end of the lever. I have a bone spur in my casting shoulder so I am weight and balance sensitive. Each of these rods have been thrown 5 plus hours. Another key that was mentioned was the sensitivity factor. if you have a carbon (Blasphemy! but work with me here) blank (or glass with a stiffer butt you can often ream the grip directly to the blank giving you unparalleled sensitivity. Your other option is to overbore the grip, arbor it with tape and use a well placed winding check to give you a clean look. I like to use this technique on glass to allow the blank to flex a bit more. It is certainly possible to bore out sections of the grip with a forstner bit to help reduce weight (i have used the same technique on the butt caps and uplocking seats. In the end any additional weight can be compensated for with reel choice, resulting in a balanced rod.

New Topic Add Reply