It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:37

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Jan 2020, 18:45 • #1 
Master Guide
Anyone remove the filler from a Blue Halo?

I’ve removed it from the bottom ferrule but have a little bit left over. It’s stuck in those rough valleys and crannies. I’m not sure if it’s used during manufacturing but the area under that filler is rougher and gritty.

I’ve used DNA to remove most of what’s left but may have to purchase a “pipe cleaner”.

The rod is Raw and becomes even more translucent as it tapers up. Wondering if those valleys will show through. May have to leave them alone.

Anyone with experience with those issue?

Post 12 Jan 2020, 12:00 • #2 
Administrator
No offense, but I'm not sure why you would do this. The filler provides extra crush resistance for the blank where it needs help the most. The filler also keeps water and "vermin" from getting into the rod.

The material is likely a polymer that cured in place. Anything that dissolves it may damage the rod resin too. A small-bore nylon cleaning brush might be enough to get it out, but be careful you don't also abrade the glass. Brass and steel brushes would be too aggressive.

Personally, I would plug the blank with silicone caulk to keep the bugs out of the interior.

Tom

Post 12 Jan 2020, 20:24 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I was reluctant to comment but wondered about the objective of removing the plug. If cosmetics were the sole reason, such things usually aren't even noticeable except under studio lighting. Rather than remove the plug, decorative wraps could be used to conceal any minor difference in the appearance of the blank at that point. Blanks that have a plug/filler usually have it for a reason.

As for the apparent change in translucence, unless a blank has an opaque coating, almost always it will vary along the length of its taper. The original 'glass pregreg is uniform, but once rolled, thickness and the change of diameter along the tapered blank alters the way light is transmitted through it.

So it sounds like you had two normal conditions for that blank. To the extent appearance is a goal, best to work with them.

Perhaps someone knows--or best would be to ask the manufacturer--if the plug is nonessential. Otherwise, I would replace it using a solid 'glass rod or some such. One junker ice-fishing jigging rod or blank will yield a nice tapered solid rod from which to make a plug

A little steampunk appearance at the ferrule on a translucent rod is fine if that's the way it's supposed to be.

Post 13 Jan 2020, 09:15 • #4 
Master Guide
Thank you for the feedback. I had read a couple of posts about people removing that filler. I guess it was in some other forums in which they had been given some suggestions. I couldn’t find anything on our site.

I have built about 10 rods and I’ve never seen filler in blanks before this rod. So to me, I just didn’t really see it as something necessary. It does bother me somewhat because of the aesthetics - khaki/cork color causes end of blank to show through translucent rod. I have seen some folks use silicone or something clear as a plug and I’ve seen some rods with plugs but not any that I’ve built.

It is something that I can live with. Ends of ferrules seem reinforced pretty well though. I’ve only removed it from the bottom blank but walls are think enough not to reveal anything through blanks.

Still considering removal but have been leaning towards just leaving them alone.

Post 13 Jan 2020, 15:28 • #5 
Master Guide
I just sent an email to BH regarding possibly warranty void or if they can or are supposed to be removed.

Post 13 Jan 2020, 17:22 • #6 
Master Guide
Blue Halo says that the plugs can be removed without voiding the warranty. They are provided because folks want a ferrule plug.

I’m not a fan but if I can clean the largest ferrule thoroughly, then I will remove the plugs. If not, no biggie.

Honestly, if the plugs looked more uniform or nicer, I probably would keep them.

Post 13 Jan 2020, 17:37 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Hope You Wouldn't Leave Your Gas Cap Off Or Oil Filler Cap Off Just Because They Didn't Fit Your Vision Of Cool Looking.
When You Get Dirt In Your Blank,Then The Ferrule Fails Don't Be Surprised.
Tight Lines And It's Not All About The Look Loops
Andy M

Post 13 Jan 2020, 18:03 • #8 
Master Guide
If the junk can be cleaned up, maybe a bit of caulk. I’ve got a couple of other rods that could use it. And it’s more than just looking cool. I just want it to look like good and proper build. Think they coulda done better with the plug.

Post 13 Jan 2020, 18:41 • #9 
Master Guide
Thought for the Day - other than the bottom blank and maybe for structural purposes, what good is a plug if the other end is open?

I’ve got a number of translucent rods with no plugs.

Last edited by Panfish74 on 13 Jan 2020, 18:45, edited 2 times in total.

Post 13 Jan 2020, 18:42 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Well I'll be darned. Glad you asked them.

Post 14 Jan 2020, 10:48 • #11 
Master Guide
Having the rod section plugged in some way is just common sense, if you have a blank that wasn't plugged its probably because the company that made it cut costs and took a shortcut by not including it.

Post 14 Jan 2020, 11:10 • #12 
Master Guide
I can see how a plug can be cosmetic and even structural. But other than that, I don’t see a necessity if the rod can get grime and grit or water in the other end. I do see maybe how a rod company is saving money by not including it.

I know folks can be particular and have their own specs or preferences for rods. Blue Halo said I can take out the plugs because it won’t affect integrity.

What is it going to matter if your rod comes apart on the stream and water enters from the bottom? What good is that plug (if it’s not structural)? Cosmetics? If Blue Halo told me to leave the plugs alone, then I wouldn’t touch them.

I do have Lamiglas blanks waiting to be built on. There is a plug. I am leaving that plug. No issues there. I’m not looking to rip out all plugs or convince folks they are totally unnecessary.

Post 14 Jan 2020, 12:50 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
None of the tip over butt, Feralite style rods that I have seen have plugs in the female side and they do get dirt and water up in there, I'm in agreement with Panfish on the futility of plugging one end only. I'm too lazy to unplug one though and doubt that it affects the dirt, water, structural soundness either way. jmo

Post 14 Jan 2020, 13:17 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Most of the rods that have crossed my bench in need of repairs have had ferrule union issues.
At the very least 1/2 of those loose or broken ferrules were buggered up from dirt inside the blank.

We see rods with Very Nice Little Ferrule End Plugs that seal the female ferrules during storage.
These plugs while looking great and serving the common good tend to get lost very easily.
In my opinion my time is better spent reinforcing the ferrule by making an actual working ferrule support ring or rings.

Missing dust plugs are the first step toward premature ferrule union failure,blanks without dust plugs are historically the sign of a cheaply made rod blank,as rod makers it's our responsibility to see that a dust plug is properly fitted to help prevent dirt from compromising the ferrule union.

If you insist on removing the factory plugs From Your Blue Halo blanks and your good with that go for it !!
Honestly Could Care Less What You Do With The Rods Your Assembling.

You Asked For Our Help, We Tried To Help,If Your Hell Bent To Go Against Common Sense & The Good Advice You Have Been Given So Be It And Good Luck.

The Difference Is That Many Here Are A Custom To Making Fishing Rods That Are Made To Last And Have Lasted For Generations.
We Also Know From Experience That Removing The Dust Plug From A Ferrule Is A Recipe For Trouble Down The Road.

Tight Lines And Always Glad To Help, If Your Unable To Listen That's Your Problem Loops
Andy M :)

Post 14 Jan 2020, 14:30 • #15 
Master Guide
At the least, a conversation will be here for folks to find. Maybe this will help someone. I am still considering things myself. I was a little pushy but don’t mean to be disrespectful. I look up to experienced builders and will learn as I go. I wanted to know about cleaning out the ferrule. I got more insight than I ever thought would be given. This isn’t going in one ear and out the other.

Thank you.

Post 15 Jan 2020, 11:11 • #16 
Master Guide
Removing the plug shouldn't be a big deal, just another way to do things. All good, enjoy the rod build.

Post 06 Feb 2020, 00:49 • #17 
Guide
The plugs on my new Zen Glass 8 wt are just not very uniform and don’t look all that good. Until you assemble the rod, and you just don’t notice them.

An e mail exchange with Courtney suggested they were there because several requested plugs in the blanks. And honestly the material used offers no structural support.

Assembled, your blank sections are waterproof. Properly stored in bag and tube there just is not going to be dirt and such accumulating in your blank.

Left mine in only because of my tendency to make things look worse!

Post 06 Feb 2020, 10:50 • #18 
Master Guide
Thanks for the feedback, Swedish_Fish. Slowly working on cleaning out that ferrule with a rotary tool. May do the others. I’m like you, tend to make things worse. Taking my time. Just wanted to build something as I wanted it to be. Taking more time as I build them and gathering rod building info.

Post 07 Feb 2020, 23:04 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Can't speak to the fundamental question here, I tend to defer to those who have done this for years on questions like that. But I have to compliment you on your beautiful wraps - looks great!

Post 28 Nov 2020, 17:28 • #20 
Master Guide
Other than the bottom blank, I left the ferrules alone. I bought a raw blanks from North Fork Composites and left the plugs in those blanks alone. Just not worth the time to remove them and I guess they’ve dubbed enough research it received enough feedback to place those plugs in there.

Thanks.

Post 03 Dec 2020, 00:13 • #21 
Guide
Fantastic photographs. Thanks for showing us. Cheers

New Topic Add Reply