It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:03

New Topic Add Reply
Tip Repair
Post 04 Jan 2020, 13:58 • #1 
Master Guide
I have a Sila-flex tip that is short approx. 2 1/2". I don't have the original broken section. I did a search and found that using spring wire will work well for a stent. I cut a section of a fiberglass tip from a kids spinning rod that I thought I would use but it feels too stiff. The new section diameter is the same as the broken tip and the inner diameter appears to be the same as the broken tip. My question is... Am I over thinking this? After all its only 2 1/2".

Bruce

Re: Tip Repair
Post 04 Jan 2020, 14:43 • #2 
Administrator
paramount51 wrote:
Am I over thinking this? After all its only 2 1/2".

Bruce
Yup.

If you still had the original broken section, maybe you could do a stent repair. The tip stent repair is more for the cosmetics of having a full length rod section that matches the original colors. A stented tip will never flex like the original. A sleeve repair is more secure but not as attractive.

But you don't have the original rod section. Adding a piece of another rod will really stick out. So a cosmetic repair is out.

Put a new tip top on the rod and test cast it. If you like how it feels, find some matching threads to do a tip top wrap. You probably should relocate the nearest guide (or the top 2-3 guides) if that seems appropriate.

There are probably photos of Silaflex wraps on the forum. If you don't find any you can work from, ask in this thread. I'll be happy to shoot some close-up photos.

What model Silaflex?

Tom

Post 04 Jan 2020, 15:23 • #3 
Master Guide
Thanks for the reply Tom,

The model is a 322975. I agree its just about cosmetics, and I do have some paint that might match the brown on the rest of the rod. I have fished the rod and I thought it cast well enough. So I may just leave it alone and do a tip top wrap. I will just have to match the "tan" thread.

Post 04 Jan 2020, 20:31 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I won't fish a rod with short tip, just bugs me. And a rod needs those last few inches, it's about the length of the lever. Lose a couple inches and the rod will start moving to the next line weight up. If you like it as is, great!!!

But I have put wire or graphite stents in dozens of rods with excellent results, I try to find a donor with same basic color. I often put repair under a guide wrap and it pretty much disappears.

Kids fishing rod....is it really glass?? And use a short stent, an inch is plenty.

Post 04 Jan 2020, 21:01 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I agree a short rod is not the same fly spinning casting whatever.And usually it is a favorite rod that gets topped.I have half assed repaired many but they are never the same to me and usually end up in the closet.Some are retired after years of service and reminders of epic days on the water and far away places we went.I have yet to break a glass rod tho.

Post 04 Jan 2020, 21:30 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I have a Parametric I chopped a couple inches off in a power window 10 or 12 years ago, I put a wire inside w a little epoxy, didn't wrap it at all, and have caught a hundred carp on that rod since. I kinda like old warhorse rods.

Post 04 Jan 2020, 21:58 • #7 
Master Guide
Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys. Will probably keep the rod as is for now. maybe I will find a donor tip more to my liking.

Bruce

New Topic Add Reply