It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:47

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Jan 2020, 22:49 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I was browsing my "project rods" for the winter build and I keep coming back to a 5'6" Phillipson Mity-Lite spinning rod. It isn't useful in it's current condition as it needs new guides if not more. I definitely won't use it as a spinning rod, but I probably won't use it as a fly rod either. I just don't use short rods that often.

Should I build it out as a spinning rod or a fly rod? It seems a bit fast for a fly rod, but most rods under 7' feel that way for me. Has anyone used this rod as fly rod?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl

Post 02 Jan 2020, 11:24 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I think a spinning rod would be best as that is its intended purpose. But i'd pass on rebuilding it if i knew i woudnt fish it. Unless you rebuild and sell it?

Post 02 Jan 2020, 12:04 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
You asked for it !
Leave it alone, or even better yet, leave it alone and give it to someone whom will appreciate the rod for what it is and take it fishing.
Why put your time into messing with a classic rod that has survived the test of time unmolested.
I'd bet the guides could be cleaned up,the rods probably got more life in it just as it is.

Had one and regret letting go of it,The rod was a great small stream trout rod,liked it best with a bait casting reel,or fly reel.
Either Way it was a great rod that brought many fish to hand.

Tight Lines And Phillipson The Worlds Finest Loops
Andy M

Post 02 Jan 2020, 19:59 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
The rod will tell you whether to do it as a spin rod or not. My memory is getting a little sketchy these days, but I seem to remember there was a fly rod and a spin rod version of the Mitey Lite. I have an example of the spin version, and it was set-up in typical Phillipson spin rod fashion - the eponite blank is short, and attached to a solid wooden dowel that runs the length of the Tennessee spin cork handle. So, you don't have enough blank to do a fly rod set-up. The cork you see is actually sheet cork wrapped around the dowel.

Post 02 Jan 2020, 20:26 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
It should have a metal reel seat with screws that hold the reel in place with little hoods that get screwed down,the reel seat/ holder has 2 positions one at the rear and a second in the center.
The Reel seat was designed for a fly reel or bait casting reel or at least that's what the picture showed per the description in the catalog.

With all this photo hosting resizing stuff to learn I'll see if I can find the pictures of My Mity Lite from when I sold it to a fellow.
If so I'll see if I can post them.

The only thing that rod is going to tell you is take me fishing,The Rod was made to serve
multiple roll's.

Carl Do You Need A Rod To Remake ??? Wanna Trade I Got Some Rods That Could Use Some Attention.

Tight Lines And Mity Lite Lets Go Fishing Loops :lol

Andy M

Post 02 Jan 2020, 20:35 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I've got a ton of rods to remake, but this is the one that is in the worst shape and could benefit from a remake the most. Maybe I'll remake it in it's original form. I did do some roll casting in the basement and it seems to work OK, but it would probably work better as a spinning rod.

I will put this one on hold for a bit and work on the new blanks I have. They are a lot easier to work with.

Post 03 Jan 2020, 08:29 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I apologize Carl realizing my comments might be considered harsh.

Here's another option you might want to consider.

I'm sure you remember back when I did the Garcia Blue Remakes.
As with the Garcia Projects.
You could use the sections from the Mity Lite to craft a rod you would find useful.
By adding other sections from another blank or several sections from other blanks.

It's your rod and you should do what ever you like with the blank.

If I were going to remake a Mity Lite.
Because of the long section at the butt under the cork as John mentioned being Spruce I'd be looking for a Phillipson or another butt section for starters.

Maybe a Butt and Mid Section ????

The choice is yours only limited by your imagination or vision to transform what you have into something else your seeking.
A "Blank" Canvas.

Again Please Accept My Apology, As Always If I Can Help You In Anyway Please Don't Hesitate To Contact Me.

Tight Lines And Just Pieces Of Glass Loops
Andy M

Post 03 Jan 2020, 14:23 • #8 
Administrator
carlz wrote:
I've got a ton of rods to remake, but this is the one that is in the worst shape and could benefit from a remake the most. Maybe I'll remake it in it's original form. I did do some roll casting in the basement and it seems to work OK, but it would probably work better as a spinning rod.

I will put this one on hold for a bit and work on the new blanks I have. They are a lot easier to work with.

Sometimes when you aren't sure the best way to proceed on a rod - be patient. An answer will arrive at some point. If the original form is one you would use, then a revival remake is the way to go. If you never, ever fish short spinning rods, then maybe it is good trade fodder. There's no rush to decide. Every few months, pick it up and give it a wiggle.

Tom

Post 03 Jan 2020, 14:55 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
+1

Post 04 Jan 2020, 09:56 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
For your viewing pleasure:
Phillipson adjustable spin seat, and ring spin guides with worn gold finish

Phillipson nickel-silver ferrule, and Phillipson tiptop.

Reel foot damage showing wooden dowel under cork veneer

Cross section showing dowel core and cork outside ring.

Post 04 Jan 2020, 10:44 • #11 
Piscator
very nice photo set

Post 04 Jan 2020, 14:34 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Ron, it must be the archaeologist in me that I enjoy looking at old beaters to see how they were made, and how they "weathered."

Post 05 Jan 2020, 18:03 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
That's not the "Mity Lite" I'm referring to,yours is much later.
The Clown wrap is a nice addition.

A soon as I get this photo resizing thing worked out I'll get some pictures of the rod Up.
It took us hours to get that photo shop I downloaded out of my computer.

I do like those Phillipson guides on that rod,if you look close you will see what makes them unique.
Have used them as tamer guides on many of my custom made fiberglass rods.
They are kinda a cross between a spinning guide and a snake guide.
That clown wrapped guide is not original to the rod.

Tight Lines And Is It King Tuts Mity Lite ?
Andy M

Post 06 Jan 2020, 06:37 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, I will bet the only thing our two rods share is the Mity Lite label; hope you can post photos soon.

I love clown wrap, every time I see it on an old rod it just screams customized by the owner, but I think that gold stripper is heavier than the rest of the rod combined. The remainder of the guides look just as you say, a cross between a snake guide and a ring guide. They are all bent, worn, and grooved so that much of the gold finish is gone. In their day, I' ll bet they were really something. They are wrapped without color preserver, so the wraps have a translucent gold effect on a brown blank. Don't know about King Tut, but there sure is a lot of gold color. :)

Post 06 Jan 2020, 22:28 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, mine is the spinning rod with the reel seat that slides up and down.

I got impatient and stripped the guides. They looked gold/yellow, but who knows what the original color was. 60 years of sun will fade almost anything.

I don't know if the rod was dipped in varnish or just had varnish applied all over. I used Denatured Alcohol and a some wet sanding and it cleaned up nicely. I did the wiggle test again and confirmed that this is definitely not going to be a good fly rod.

I guess I was hoping that Phillipson use the same blank for the spinning rod and fly rod, but it's pretty clear they aren't the same.

Now that I've cleaned it up, I put it back in the tube until I'm inspired. I think I have some vintage spinning guides that would do well, or maybe some PacBay minima's. Either way, I'm contemplating what rod to rebuild for this winter. I might rewrap a Conolon Royal Javalin, Cadet or Fanwing. These are more Restoration projects than rebuilds. The rods are in great shape, but missing a guide. I probably would try to rewrap them in their original color and configuration. That's a lot more work that a rebuild of a junker rod.

New Topic Add Reply