It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:58

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Jan 2020, 11:43 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
So inspired by Ikaa's re-build project on a Fenwick I decided it was time to tackle this one.

I got this Hardy Jet for very little cost, probably because it needs a lot of work. Looks like it's been re-wrapped at least once before, and wraps are dry, and some are fraying and/or separating. And there is no ferule gap. And the finish is a disaster. And the cork is dirty as heck. And the screw on fighting butt doesn't screw on.

But ... the reel seat is in great shape, and the blank itself seems to be fine - no cracks, etc.

So gonna give it a go!

Some "before" photos:

Last edited by jalthoff on 01 Jan 2020, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 Jan 2020, 12:41 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Took off all of the thread - most came easy, just using my fingernails.

Sanded the female portion of the ferule to get a little more gap. Fits nice and snug now, with no "ticking or clicking" when I pretend to cast it.

Now to remove all of the varnish residue and see if I can clean up the finish. Also need to remove the cork. Was thinking about taking reel seat off but it's on quite solidly, so no need to add to my work. Just going to carefully cut off the cork.

Post 01 Jan 2020, 13:14 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
For cork, I use the pipe gripping portions of a normal pliers (the type you don't see anymore). Just grip it and twist it around the blank. The teeth that are supposed to grip the pipe just shred the cork. It produces a bunch of chips, and you still need to clean up the blank, but it makes fast work of it.

And that's the type of rod that is wonderful to redo. Blank is in good shape, but there is nothing to loose.

Are you going to try and save the sticker?

Post 01 Jan 2020, 13:39 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Cork came off easy - old and brittle!

Going to try to save the sticker - have it covered in plastic. Doing a little test with some citra varnish remover down where the cork will cover the blank to get a sense of what it's going to do to what's left of the original finish ....

Just realized there is a Winter 19-20 rebuild thread.

If I've inadvertently breached protocol and should put these posts in that thread someone just let me know.

Thanks!

Please review the posting guide about back-to-back posting.

Post 01 Jan 2020, 19:15 • #5 
Administrator
No. It is probably better to have each rebuild as a separate topic. They are easier to find with the forum search that way.

Also, many concurrent rebuilds in the same topic will become a mish-mash as the different projects move at different speeds. Some comments will be difficult to relate to the appropriate rod.

Tom

Post 02 Jan 2020, 11:43 • #6 
Master Guide
A Hardy glass rod is always worthy of a restoration or rebuild. What length is it?

Post 02 Jan 2020, 19:42 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Those wraps are factory Hardy, as is the poor finish.

Yup, how long?? These are sweet rods.

Post 02 Jan 2020, 19:47 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
It's 8'6"

It has what's left of a "#7" above what's left of the logo decal. I dry land casted it with a Wulff Triangle Taper 7 when I got it and it felt nice.

More to come .....

Post 02 Jan 2020, 23:07 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Did you get it from me?? I sold one like that a while back, I kinda recognize that little fighting butt.

Post 03 Jan 2020, 08:22 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I did in fact! Looking forward to getting it back out onto the water this Spring once she's done!

Question for you - do you know if it was once re-wrapped or were those factory wraps? Most of the Hardy Jet's I've seen had brown/chestnut wraps, and these were gold. Kinda curious ....

Please review the posting guide about the use of quotations.

Post 03 Jan 2020, 20:14 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I always thought those were factory wraps but have no way of really knowing.

Post 04 Jan 2020, 07:03 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
After a little more research, I think they were factory wraps. Found a bunch of picks online of Hardy Jet's with the same colors.

Post 17 Jan 2020, 23:08 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Stripped down to the glass - some guide wrap ghosts left, but a couple of thin coats of spar on her will take care of that, 2nd coat on tonight and hanging. Tomorrow it's handle time and then time to start placing guides. Going to go with probably one more guide (nine instead of the original eight), but will see. Tomorrow is handle day .....

Post 18 Jan 2020, 08:03 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Looking good!

Post 18 Jan 2020, 09:11 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
This is gonna be good. Will you wrap in the traditional hardy yellow-orange? or something different? I like the old Hardy Glass. Have been looking a long time for a 7.5' Jet or Fibatube. At 8'6" this one should be a great all-rounder.

Post 18 Jan 2020, 14:32 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Great choice and it looks like your off to a great start as well.
Make sure that female ferrule union is not split or has a hairline fracture.

Actual working ferrule support rings that add hoop strength are a must with all the Fisher Based Blanks,I don't care where the blanks come from.

If you need help just give me a shout I'll make you support rings if you like,if you need anything just give me a shout it would be my pleasure to help.

Tight Lines And Hardy Fibatube Fibreglass Loops
Andy M

Post 18 Jan 2020, 14:42 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
picketpin52 wrote:
This is gonna be good. Will you wrap in the traditional hardy yellow-orange? or something different? I like the old Hardy Glass. Have been looking a long time for a 7.5' Jet or Fibatube. At 8'6" this one should be a great all-rounder.

Decided to go with the traditional look, so got some "old gold" thread and some other yellow-orange thread and plan to wrap them up, wet them and decide which I like better!

I built on a 7.5 foot Fibatube blank several years ago - sweetest 4/5 weight I own!

Last edited by jalthoff on 18 Jan 2020, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Jan 2020, 14:44 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
The Glass Master wrote:
Hello
Great choice and it looks like your off to a great start as well.
Make sure that female ferrule union is not split or has a hairline fracture.

Actual working ferrule support rings that add hoop strength are a must with all the Fisher Based Blanks,I don't care where the blanks come from.

If you need help just give me a shout I'll make you support rings if you like,if you need anything just give me a shout it would be my pleasure to help.

Tight Lines And Hardy Fibatube Fibreglass Loops
Andy M

Andy

Had not thought about doing ferrule rings, but given your experience I will certainly take your advice! I'll send you a PM

Post 19 Jan 2020, 12:47 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
No reason to go with more guides. Unless you want to!

Post 19 Jan 2020, 17:15 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Yea, true, I'm just used to a few more guides on my 8'6" rods - think I'm going to go for it.

Also psyched to have gotten the grip fitted out and mounted. Got it from Matt @ Proof - love dealing with him, quality stuff!

Post 20 Jan 2020, 07:18 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
That is great!

Post 20 Jan 2020, 12:53 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
The best part of this project so far is that I got to spend some time talking on the phone with Andy (The Glass Master) today. I learned more on that phone call about some rod building history and theory than I ever could have picked up elsewhere, and also got some great advice. Thanks again for your generosity Andy!

Post 20 Jan 2020, 20:56 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
With cork on I had a little space between the blank and the inside of the front of the cork grip - hard to get the reaming perfect, at least for me on the fat blanks.

Wrapped some chestnut thread and kept pushing it into the gap until the gap was gone.

I then started the wrapping per Hardy color and design. Colors may be slightly bright (although not quite as bright as this picture makes them out to be - bright bulb!), but I think under spar varnish they'll darken and end up pretty close to the Hardy dark red and orange-ish yellow wraps, based on how they looked when I wet them. Anyway, it'll be close enough for me and the fish sure won't care ....

Post 21 Jan 2020, 10:40 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Wow your really getting ahead on your project.

Your Bench Made Ferrule Support Rings will go out today.
Found and finished them quickly after our conversation yesterday,actually had some extras of the right size,they were from a batch I had just made for the 8'6" Fisher.all was needed was some de burring and polishing.
Got to the post office at 4:50 the door was locked,they close at 5 I was not happy or you would have had them today.

The box looked empty.
Tossed in some thread and a couple of reel seats to fill the space for good measure.
One of the reel seats is perfect for That Sceptre Blank you have,figured since I don't have any Sceptre's to put up I'd pass on the reel seat.

The label/price tag on the supremo reel seat Says Vince Cummings on it,the seat is from the rod making stock he sold at trade shows,if you remove the label it will leave a witness mark,if it were my choice I'd leave the label on it's good mojo. ;)

The box will go out today you should have it tomorrow ?? .
It was great fun chatting with you as well, being a very small part of your project is exciting, thanks for letting me help !!

Not to be a wet blanket or cause difficulties for anyone but can't help but notice the very obvious, that grip has an awful lot of filler on the end grain.

Tight Lines And Jet Aged Hardy Loops
Andy M

Post 24 Jan 2020, 16:07 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Andy for all the help!

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply