Post 30 Jan 2020, 23:11 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Curious how the rods coming along ?
Tight Lines And Hows The Project Going Loops
Andy M

Post 01 Feb 2020, 16:47 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Andy - Finally got back to it this afternoon briefly. Too much work, and then too many house projects today! But got the Ferrule Ring mounted and overwrapped a bit with some of the thread you sent me, as I think it'll nicely fade into the color of the blank once varnished.

Thank you for all of your help and generosity!

Sorry for the crappy pics!

Post 01 Feb 2020, 18:46 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I'm thrilled the rings were a good fit.
looking forward to seeing your project unfold,if you need anything don't hesitate to let me know.
Tight Lines A JET Loops
Andy M

Post 01 Feb 2020, 18:53 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Ha, the only thing I need at this point is more time in the day! Thanks again, much appreciated!

Post 02 Feb 2020, 17:27 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Made a little more progress today - helps not having the Patties in the Super Bowl, makes today a little less busy running around preparing for the game LOL. I guess this is how 99% of fans across the rest of the league feel every year!

Got the bottom half of the rod wrapped with the main (gold) wraps and the accents around the Hardy sticker, what's left of it anyway. Using Snake Brand guides, both snakes & strippers. Liking how it's going so far. I hope to finish the main guide wraps on the top 1/2 of the rod over the next few nights after work. And then I'm going to try to do the trim wraps. Never really done them before, but I feel like this rod deserves the effort. If I flail too much I'll do without, but we'll find out next weekend.

Used my trusty Tom Morgan reel seat alignment jig - helps a ton. Also helps to get an alignment double check from a teenager with young eyes!

Post 06 Feb 2020, 08:45 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
Looking good! Good idea too, a second set of eyes on the seat alignment. It's still possible to miss using a sighting jig; I speak from experience.

Post 09 Feb 2020, 16:11 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Wrapping complete, and added the rod number and length the way Hardy did it on these rods based on pictures I found (this one had a faint #7 on it when I got it and you could not see the length). My handwriting is not great, so obviously not a perfect job but it'll be fine!

Added my initials and year of rebuild on the underside of the blank an in black, so it's on there if 50 years from now one of my boys wants to know when I rebuilt it, but does not stick out and interfere with the "as close to accurate" look I was trying to get.

Getting there ....

Post 09 Feb 2020, 16:23 • #33 
Guide
Looks great and nice touch subtly adding initials and date of rebuild!

Post 09 Feb 2020, 18:26 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Looking great!

Post 10 Feb 2020, 12:57 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Looks very good indeed. Thanks for showing!

Post 15 Feb 2020, 12:11 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
Well work again interfered all week, but finally getting some more time this weekend - putting the spar on the wraps. Can't wait to be done ... and then stare at it incessantly waiting for reasonably warm temps to coincide with a weekend on which I have no responsibilities and get her out on the water!

Post 16 Feb 2020, 12:36 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
Definitely getting there now! This'll be last picture post pre-finished project, as I'm down to a few more coats of varnish. It'll be far from perfect, but fish won't care and it's been a really fun project for me, I've learned a ton!

Happy with trim wraps for first time doing them ...

Last edited by jalthoff on 16 Feb 2020, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

Post 16 Feb 2020, 14:23 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
looks great. it's tough when you get close to done. i start getting impatient and feel a great temptation to rush to get it done! takes every bit of self control not to. your jet looks amazing!

Post 16 Feb 2020, 14:37 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
I feel ya on the impatience thing - just shaved off some thread nubs that were protruding through 2 coats of spar and I almost put on another coat but decided 1 coat a day is plenty fast enough (although I've seen others say they put on a coat every four hours, which seems just a bit on the quick side to me, but I'm a hobbyist, not an expert like a lot of people on this board!). It's not like I'll be fishing around here anytime soon, other than a 200 yard stretch of tailwater about 90 minutes west of Boston that has at least 30 people fishing it every weekend day in the winter when the air temp gets above 40 degrees!

Post 16 Feb 2020, 16:49 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
I usually wait 24 hour before recoating with spar varnish. I heard or read somewhere that recoating in less drying time is OK. With drying time many variables come into play... viscosity of varnish, air temp, humidity, etc. I am not an expert, and my rodbuilding is far from scientific, but as a hobbyist I have no one to answer to but myself, and no deadline, so I wait. It's not like I don't have another rod or 10 to fish!

Post 16 Feb 2020, 18:21 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
This is great to see, and the followup, well, I'm hoping it will be even better.

Post 23 Feb 2020, 14:53 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
So psyched now that this project is done! There are a 1,000 little mistakes here and there that jump out at me when I look closely at up-close shots of the rod in the bright sunlight, but the rods for fishing not a museum so I'll be fine! Thanks to everyone for the help on this, particularly Andy!

Other than tip top and reel seat, which I kept intact, as I did with what was left of the Hardy Sticker, everything else is new - handle and Snake Brand strippers and snake guides from Matt at Proof.

Love the grain of the old glass

Love the new Snake Brand stripping guides

Ferrule ring and advice on how to reinforce the ferrule on both male and female sides from Andy

SA Badged Hardy Marquis reel obviously made for this rod

Can't wait to fish it! 50 degrees here today, so tempting, but need to let the spar sit and fully harden before messing with it.

Post 23 Feb 2020, 22:06 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
It's a fishing rod! No matter if there are 1001 mistakes. Too often we get hung on perfection. Cosmetic flaws are irritating, but only until you get the first fish. After that, the more you fish it, the stronger you "bond" with the rod, and flaws are "character." Your build looks terrific!

Post 24 Feb 2020, 08:32 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Bravo !! Very Nice !!
Glad to help the rod looks ready to go catch the fish of a lifetime.
You will need to take me up on my offer,come Join the Fishy Northeast Fiberglass Fly Rodders for a Trouty Weekend.
Don't be afraid to experiment with line weights.
Now you have learned some very valuable lessons that you can apply to your other rod project.
Keep up the good work,your flies are on my bench everybody that comes in paws over them.
Art Flick would be proud of them I can't wait to use them on the Housey !!!
Tight Lines And JET Loops
Andy M

Post 24 Feb 2020, 10:29 • #45 
Guide
That is a beautiful rebuild! We should all be so lucky! Congrats and get out and fish that puppy! Those "mistakes" will be hard to see once you're on the water!

Post 24 Feb 2020, 11:05 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
Jalthoff, the more pictures I see of your build, the more I like your work. Don't sweat the small stuff, it's just a fish pole after all, and I like your treatment of Andy's ferrule ring too!

Post 24 Feb 2020, 19:43 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks all - really was fun!

Post 24 Feb 2020, 20:31 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
Glad to see that rod made sweet again. It's a wonderful casting and fishing tool!

Post 25 Feb 2020, 08:25 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Everything Turned Out Great.
Hats off to Keith "Majicwrench" for making this project possible.
One of my more recent rebuilds 2 years ago now was a StCroix 6'6" Keith Offered.
Tight Lines And Refurbished Loops
Andy M

Post 25 Feb 2020, 10:05 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
Andy, wasn't that Herters/St Croix 6ft??
Found my camera too, pictures coming you way soon.

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply