It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:52

New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Dec 2019, 12:53 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I was reaming out a cork grip for a big butt Lami 5 wt and must have lost some patience and wound up with a gap at the front of the grip - see photo below.

A winding check would be an obvious fix, but I don't have one that fits and would like to avoid shipping costs on a single check, plus I wasn't planning on a check anyway.

With the full wells grip, a thread hosel is out, but I have thought about a narrow epoxy "ramp" that covers the gap, but it would be hard to keep the thread from falling down on something so steep.

I experimented with a double wrap (how do you tell where you are on a 2nd wrap on a double wrap? I had trouble with that), but the gap is still too big.

Finally I thought of doing a single wrap, coating with epoxy and after it dries do another single wrap on top? And doing 2 coats of epoxy over that.

What do you think? Any other suggestions? I should probably just pony up the $5 for shipping and get a winding check....

Thanks for the help!

Post 28 Dec 2019, 13:07 • #2 
Administrator
Other suggestions? Thicker thread? e.g. carpet thread?

Post 28 Dec 2019, 13:22 • #3 
Sport
Having been here, pony up. Lots of attractive checks , and they are inexpensive. Buy one size up and one size down as they can vary in size. I have done the stepped thread with success, but never really liked the look. Epoxy ramp is a one and done and a good way to have a project turn sour. Opinions from an old rod tinkerer.
Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Post 28 Dec 2019, 13:31 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I would do multiple wraps.

1st wrap: get wrap started next to the grip. after you get 5-6 turns, push the wrapped theead into the gap under the cork. Then complete the wrap to the desired width. Add a coat of varnish/epoxy/etc. Keep it thin, and make sure you get some into/under the cork to coat the thread there.
2nd wrap: after finish of 1st wrap is dry, add second wrap on top of first. This one dont push under the cork - just start it tight to the end of the cork. You may find that lesser tension than with wrap #1 will help keep the thread even and not stuck in a “groove”. Apply a single coat of finish.
3rd wrap: (if necessary) same as second wrap.

You can also “step” the multi-warps up to height, meaning wrap #1 is wider than #2, and #2 wider than #3.

Post 28 Dec 2019, 13:38 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I would use sheet cork as a check. Use a hole punch/leather punch/series of drill bits to get a snug fit. Glue in place and sand to shape. If you want to be fussier, you could do the same with a cork ring shaved/cut/sanded thin. Scrap leather, hole-punched and cut to fit also makes a nice winding check.

Many 50-cent hardware or craft store items, starting with a simple O-ring or hair band elastic make good checks. A small wooden button drilled out and stained/finished as you like works well.

Post 28 Dec 2019, 14:20 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Just add one cork ring that fits and rasp/sand it to match the last ring of the grip. No one will know that the grip is too long if you don't tell them. Could even use a dark or colored ring there as an accent. It should look like you planned it that way.

Post 28 Dec 2019, 16:23 • #7 
Guide
From the picture it really doesnt look like you took out a whole lot of cork. Try a couple of turns of masking tape to flush up and then wrap over that and see if it works.

Post 28 Dec 2019, 16:52 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I have done doubled or triple wraps to cover that size gap, and I always end-up hating how the fit and finish came out. What you have there is easily solved by using a winding check. Just bight the bullet and get a proper fitting check - I agree with fish4steel. That size gap is what winding checks were made for.

One other thing, make sure that last cork ring is properly glued to the blank. If it is not, work a little glue into the gap, clean it up, let it dry, and put on the winding check over it all the next day.

Post 28 Dec 2019, 20:02 • #9 
Administrator
A couple more options. If you have cork dust from shaping the grip, mix it with epoxy and push it into the gap. It won't be perfect, but it may be enough.

Add a winding check and a full diamond wrap. Or chevrons. Or any flashy butt wrap. The wrap will get all the attention. Diamond wraps and mylar are endangered species anymore.

I liked whrlpool's suggestion of sheet cork. That would give it some of that Scott Rod Co. feel.

Tom

Post 28 Dec 2019, 20:24 • #10 
Guide
I vote multiple wraps. I've done this: wrap a short foundation wrap in that spot before you slide the cork down. Then there will already be a thicker spot in the blank and you'll also know you have an even two layers of thread. It also centers the cork on the axis. Even three doesn't seem to show up to me, once it's all covered. Even if you have glued in place, I don't see the issue with multiple wraps once you arrange the layers right. I'm with you on buying a single item and paying more for the shipping than the item. Esp since I assume you didn't really want a check in the first place.

Post 28 Dec 2019, 21:44 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
All good advice here. If you decide to go with a check, I'd gladly send you one. Just send PM with blank diameter and address, and I'll get one in the mail.

I've also filled a similar gap with a single layer of #D thread:

I've also packed regular #A windings under checks that are of loose fit. You could use that approach here as well, ending up with very good coverage.

Post 28 Dec 2019, 21:45 • #12 
Sport
I’d just pony up the money for a proper check and be done with it... On the other hand, tinkering and figuring out a fix is fun too!

Post 28 Dec 2019, 22:48 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
So, there are plenty of options. I rarely put metal winding checks on my rods, and will just add a thread wrap flush against the grip. But everyone who builds rods sooner or later finds themself with an over-reamed grip and a gap at the fore end of the grip. There are lots of solutions as many have already suggested. My favorite way to close the gap is to wrap a layer of thread, and pack it between cork and blank.

Post 29 Dec 2019, 10:00 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Wood filler or cork filler will fill & hide your gap.
A Winding check will serve best however.
Or you could remove the 1st cork ring and replace it with another properly reamed.
Quote:
So, there are plenty of options

Tight Lines And Whatever You Choose Loops
Andy M

Post 30 Dec 2019, 09:21 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome ideas guys, I want you to know how much I appreciate your help. I have been a member of other forums that if I asked a question deemed "stupid", I was ridiculed. Another forum I was a member of seems to be more of a flyfishers facebook, a place for them to post hero shots and communicate with each other, but I was not long time member and was ignored. Everyone here has been so kind and welcoming over the years - thanks.

Anyway, lots of great ideas and I tinkered around with a few. I will remember these. I got offers from a few members to send me a check and I think I will go that route for now. Thank you! I shouldn't have been that cheap about shipping anyway - it is that darn Scandinavian blood. There is a reason the Mrs. calls me "Cheap Man" or because she knew my father well, "Son of Cheap Man."

Post 30 Dec 2019, 10:23 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Driftless, no doubt the folks on this forum are the best! So many here willing to share ideas and expertise makes FFR a true open forum for exchanging information.

Before installing the winding check I would still fill the gap between grip and blank. It will give you an extra measure of protection from water seeping behind the check and under the grip.

Post 30 Dec 2019, 11:25 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Good idea Picketpin, I'll do that, thanks!

Post 01 Jan 2020, 21:04 • #18 
Master Guide
drift less that looks like the perfect opening to pack a few wraps into like Corlay mentioned. i have done that so many times to fill the gap. i would build up a little tape on the bland to make the cork snug though.
@tomah that black gold combo is sharp, like it a lot.

Post 02 Jan 2020, 08:52 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you, Sir!

New Topic Add Reply