It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:25

New Topic Add Reply
Cork rings
Post 17 Nov 2019, 18:02 • #1 
Inactive
Im going to try turning my own grips and would like to know what the #3 is in description below . Does it refer to grade and if so what is a good grade to start with . TIA

Cactus Burl #3, 1 1/4" x 1/2" x 1/4" Hole

Re: Cork rings
Post 17 Nov 2019, 23:05 • #2 
Guide
I dont think its a grade because these rings are like glue pressed particles and pretty tough, maybe its more like a selection number or whats behind curtain #3 type of thing. I did a very long handle on a center pin rod last winter and I really mixed her up with trim bands, burl,cactus burl and wave burl, rubberized cork and tru oiled her up to make the colors pop. I like these type of handle options and if I had used quality cork the handle would of cost well over 75 bucks. One thing to be careful with is sanding cork rings next to burl or rubberized. Cork is much softer and sands down quicker so you especially have to watch the tapered areas of your handle. Another thing is to maybe consider a pattern or breaking it up with trim bands or capping each end with rubberized cork to break up the solid burl, but that is up to you.Maybe check out some google images on burl handles for some ideas. Have fun and enjoy your creations.

Post 18 Nov 2019, 04:59 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Just from pictures and pricing, I thought the numbers were according to how much "rubber" is visible compared with how much cork is used, #1 showing as more cork and #3 as more "rubber" pricing I saw was the same, so not a "grade" in that respect. My interest in the material was limited to finding out what it is. I' one that doesn't like the look and just wanted to know what caused it. Neither burl nor cork, sorta the OSB of rod building.

Post 18 Nov 2019, 08:31 • #4 
Piscator
#3 burl cork is not a grade of cork, because it's not a natural product, but manmade composite.
#3 is most probably the size of the cork pieces used in the composite, which can be small for a more uniform look, or larger to get swirls
("cactus" is probably the color of the resin)

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/Cork-Rings-Blocks
Angler's workshop shows natural cork graded as ES, SF, and XF
Image Image

of course resin-impregnation is a way to take essentially rotted or waste wood product and make it useful or even look really special
Image Image

Post 18 Nov 2019, 09:29 • #5 
Inactive
Thanks guys , the size of chunks makes sense . I like the look as pure smooth cork is boring to look at , at least to me . YMMV

Post 18 Nov 2019, 13:26 • #6 
Master Guide
I've been using the standard or brown burl cork for many years and agree it makes a more interesting and appealing handle. Like Jason, I incorporate different materials consisting of trim rings, exotic woods and stabilized burl for accent pieces and to compliment the color theme of the rod. Finish with several coats of Tru Oil to the degree of gloss or matte finish you desire. Here's one wherein the handle consists of burl cork, purple heart with green trim rings and stabilized green boxwood burl.

Post 18 Nov 2019, 13:57 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Pretty handle!

Post 18 Nov 2019, 14:13 • #8 
Piscator
calling this boring is a few thousand miles off base
Image Image

high-grade cork is still a joy after 60 years

even medium grade has its quality

Post 18 Nov 2019, 14:29 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
BD, that's some truly exceptional cork, and definitely not boring.

Post 18 Nov 2019, 16:01 • #10 
Inactive
Don't get butt hurt , my statement was generic . Just like some of these old rods and reels that you guys love and I don't .

Post 18 Nov 2019, 17:43 • #11 
Guide
Now, I also like some of the vintage fiberglass rods, and it would be hard to imagine them with anything but a cork grip. In fact, I would feel much more buying comfortable vintage rods in ‘glass than cane… there’s so many more potential problems that can go undetected with bamboo. But there is one reason that I would be hesitant even about vintage ‘glass rods. That’s when it comes to truly vintage (1970s or earlier) ‘glass rods that were much below a 4-weight, as they are practically nonexistent.

That said, I think there is plenty of room for exploring alternatives to cork grips and cork or turned wood reel seats. For example, Bulldog, that bike handle bar has something interesting next to the cork. It looks like varnished string or twine, which could make for a different reel seat…

Post 18 Nov 2019, 18:36 • #12 
Piscator
goodbye Mr. Zimmerman

next - on the bike, twine wraps - the twine wraps are shellacked, and the cork has spar varnish.
only here's the current condition of the bar with even more twine wraps.
people without the know call this a cruiser, but it's a distance bike and I designed the gears to climb 22% grades
I win Sunday morning sprints on this bike about about twice/mo

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 20 Nov 2019, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Nov 2019, 20:12 • #13 
Inactive
bulldog1935 wrote:
if I ever meet you, Mr Zimmerman, I'm going to hurt your butt

next - on the bike, twine wraps - the twine wraps are shellacked, and the cork has spar varnish.
only here's the current condition of the bar with even more twine wraps.
people without the know call this a cruiser, but it's a distance bike and I designed the gears to climb 22% grades
I win Sunday morning sprints on this bike about about twice/mo

Since I'm fairly new to this site and dont know all of the personalities here I deleted my first response in favor of going a different direction . So I ask you Mr. BD , what is the meaning of your first sentence ? TIA .

Post 19 Nov 2019, 10:12 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Come on now. "Butt hurt" was the original expression in post 10 varied in the comeback in post 12. If one starts repartee, no reason to be surprised when it is continued. Get back to the cork.

I "look at" cork as gripping material so I don't much care what it looks like. But there is a lot of choice, which is good. An excellent point above to remember is that the different sanding rates of different ring materials can complicate shaping a grip. The different materials may give it an irregular feel as well, even if the sanding is accomplished so it has a good looking contour.

New Topic Add Reply