It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 14:31

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Nov 2019, 08:49 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I have a lone spool of Pearsalls Naples silk thread that I was going to try using for the main wrap. I don't have any other silk thread, so I was wondering how it would look to use size A nylon for tipping. Would the nylon look "higher" than the silk after a couple coats of threadmaster lite? I can always try a test wrap on a scrap piece of blank, but just wondering if anyone has tried this. I know people go the other way (nylon for main, silk for tipping), but having seen anyone comment on this way before.

Thanks!

Last edited by Driftless on 30 Nov 2019, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

Post 16 Nov 2019, 12:26 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I read somewhere that a purpose for tipping is to guard the main wrap against abrasion, i.e. you just have to replace the tipping over time. If that's true, then a larger diameter would be beneficial, subject to some limit based on the visual effect. In other words, you might not want to use size D. ;-)

Post 16 Nov 2019, 14:44 • #3 
Guide
While I generally tip nylon with silk, the result of what you’re considering might be a uniquely appealing appearance. If you do finish out a test wrap, please share your results by posting pictures.

Post 16 Nov 2019, 16:52 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, it would be visible. It might not be noticeable, though.

Post 16 Nov 2019, 17:27 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I have a rod drying in the basement right now that has silk wraps tipped with size A polyester (no difference in size with nylon). At best, I can barely tell if there is a raised area once the finish coat of epoxy is on--and this requires a close inspection with good lighting. With something like varnish, it might be more visible.

I should add, I used one coat of thinned Threadmaster Lite to make the silk go transparent, with a second coat for finishing.

I did it this way because I usually wrap with nylon/polyester, and have several colors already. But for this build, I decided to go with transparent wraps tipped in burgundy. I had burgundy polyester, but no burgundy silk.

Post 16 Nov 2019, 19:21 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
[quote="GlacierRambler”]

I should add, I used one coat of thinned Threadmaster Lite to make the silk go transparent, with a second coat for finishing.
[/quote]

This is what I do too. Mostly because I if I don’t, I invariably slip and screw up the main wraps while trying to trim the tags ends of the tipping as close as possible.

Post 17 Nov 2019, 17:19 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the advice guys. Penzzz, I've got some other builds in progress, so I don't know when I'll get to this project, but I'll post a photo when I do.

Post 17 Nov 2019, 19:01 • #8 
Master Guide
My personal taste is for the tipping to be as minimal as possible: barely there, but noticeable. I use 4 turns of Gossamer or 3 turns of Size A. That gives the right look -- for me. Wet the thread with distilled water and you can easily do these few turns.

--Rich

Post 17 Nov 2019, 19:06 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Probably you do this, but it's easy to forget. If building in series, finishing one and contemplating the next, that's a good time to do test wraps since your finishing product will be out anyway. A few wraps of the type/color/pattern considered on a scrap of rod will tell you exactly if the plan is to your liking. Do those test wraps--rod scraps are easy to come buy at any boat ramp or junk shop--before you apply finish the completed rod. Then finish its wraps, and with the left over, finish your test wraps.

Post 18 Nov 2019, 08:39 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I'll try it out, I've got some old blank pieces. Thanks again guys!

Post 30 Nov 2019, 13:32 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Well, I did some test wraps and took some photos, sorry my phone does not like to zoom.

I was trying out some other colors too - that is sunburst nylon on the far right and orange nylon in the middle. But the wrap in question on the left. That is Naples silk in chestnut, tipped with 2 turns of nylon size A, medium brown. Like GlacierRambler, I couldn't tell the difference in height, if anything the nylon looked smaller to me. Maybe a difference would appear with more turns of trim. These are all just wetted with water.

Since I have you all here. What color wrap do you like on this Lami build? I'm not looking to match the reel seat necessarily, I just want to see what looks best. Personally, I'm liking the chestnut silk and brown nylon tipping, but the oranges are looking good too. If I went with one of the oranges, I could tip with the other orange, that I didn't use for the main wrap. Thoughts? Thanks!

Post 30 Nov 2019, 13:52 • #12 
Master Guide
I like the Chestnut myself. I think it looks fantastic on yellow glass.

Post 30 Nov 2019, 13:52 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
All three look good; however, I agree that the chestnut-brown combination stands out.

Post 30 Nov 2019, 16:51 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I should add that after working on the tip section of the build, the difference between the heights of the Fuji polyester and YLI silk threads became the most notable. It was a small difference, and I was able to get enough epoxy over the silk wraps to keep the disparity from mattering in the end.

I went with natural silk for transparent wraps and three turns of polyester for the tipping at the wraps. Here's what it turned out like.

Good luck with yours Driftless. I think any of those combinations should turn out really nicely.

Post 30 Nov 2019, 17:02 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
That's beautiful, GlacierRambler.

Post 30 Nov 2019, 17:17 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Going against the grain here but I'd do sunburst tipped with medium brown, or red.

Post 30 Nov 2019, 17:54 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Well sure., but then you wouldn't have that nice look above.

So that's just the next rod.

The one after that, it's interesting to think the opposite way--the darker of two colors as the main wrap, and the lighter/paler color as the tipping.

Post 30 Nov 2019, 17:59 • #18 
Guide
I'm not sure I read any reference to whether color preserver is going to be used, or not. This would have an impact on thread selection as impacted by background blank color.

Jeff

Post 30 Nov 2019, 18:25 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
No...to be clear, I mean to say Sunburst main wraps tipped with medium brown, or red.

Post 30 Nov 2019, 19:15 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I really appreciate it. Penzzz, I am going no color preserver. Glacier, that looks awesome. Whrlpool, I will have to try switching those two around and use the chestnut for tipping. Right after I try Picketpins suggestion!

Post 30 Nov 2019, 21:22 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
I would try the Sunburst with Chestnut tipping, but I would try it with finish (maybe the reelseat area?) Water or DNA often looks darker than the final product (with epoxy) for me. Varnish just turns things browner for me. It isn't that noticable except over bright colorpreserved thread.

Iooks great.

Post 30 Nov 2019, 21:53 • #22 
Guide
Lately I’ve been testing the effect of epoxy on color by drizzling on a little hardener, or resin. That way I can take the time to go out in the sun for a look without worrying about the epoxy beginning to firm up.

Post 01 Dec 2019, 11:12 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Chestnut/brown combo is my pick. On a blank that color, I have used brown for the main thread and orange tipping, only on the tip, ferrule, stripping guide and butt.

Post 09 Feb 2020, 15:45 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
I tried this out on a Lami 3wt that I just posted in the Rod photo section. Like GlacierRambler, I found that after the first coating of TM lite, the nylon was slightly raised, which was kind of a neat effect, but my the 2nd coating you couldn't tell. Thanks again for the feedback!

New Topic Add Reply