It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:18

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Modern Phillipson
Post 05 Oct 2019, 14:45 • #1 
Sport
have been fishing an old Phillipson Chieftain tc76.This rod is so nice to cast and it can handle
a bigger fish nicely.So who makes the closest blank today? I need another rod project.

Re: Modern Phillipson
Post 05 Oct 2019, 15:28 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
The Chieftain is a pre-eponite rod (early 50's), isn't it? What makes you like it? Most modern rods are going to be a lot lighter.

Post 05 Oct 2019, 15:48 • #3 
Sport
hard to say why I like it?.Maybe because it is short but can really throw line.Maybe the feel
it has or with a couple of false casts and I'm into the backing.I am using a full sink 6wt line.
Or maybe it is just old ,like me.

Post 08 Oct 2019, 04:26 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
mustfish4fun wrote:
hard to say why I like it?.Maybe because it is short but can really throw line.Maybe the feel
it has or with a couple of false casts and I'm into the backing.I am using a full sink 6wt line.
Or maybe it is just old ,like me.

That's just it - that is why many of us started fishing old glass. They work, and they don't make them like that any more. Nothing made today casts like the old Phillipsons, that is why many of us carefully curate those old rods.

Post 28 Oct 2019, 10:45 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Sounds Like The Inmates Have Taken Over The Institution.
Quote:
The Chieftain is a pre-eponite rod (early 50's), isn't it? What makes you like it? Most modern rods are going to be a lot lighter.

"Phillipson Worlds Finest "

Recently let many of my prized fishing tools go to the next generations of fisherman.
Even passed on a few of my less prized Phillipsons on to family members this past season,however they will have to pry my favorite Phillipson Spinning and Fly rods from my cold hands,Same goes for my Fisher Fly Rods.

What does a Modern Fiberglass Rod have that a Classic Fiberglass Rod doesn't ? Sales Hype Targeting A New Generation Of Fly Fisherman and Little Else in my humble opinion.

For those of us whom have been around since the heyday of fiberglass,including those of us whom never played into the Graphite Hype, survivors of the Graphite Wars and The Bamboo Rebirth.
Classic Phillipson Rods Do Everything You Could Want In A Fishing Rod.

Quote:
Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! Please feel free to join in and participate in the discussions. Fiberglass fly rods are not a thing of the past. For some very savvy fishermen, they are the best rods for the situation. Spend a little time browsing this site and you may find a few surprises.

The main topic of discussion here is fiberglass fly rods. We discuss collecting fiberglass rods, the finer attributes of modern glass rods, the finer attributes of classic glass rods, classic fly reels, repairing rods, and of course fishing with glass rods. Especially the fishing, because that is the point after all. On the other hand, we don't discuss politics, religion, sports, news, or pop culture. The tradition here is to keep the discussions on topic and courteous.

In answer to your question why not find an Phillipson in need of a remake, you can also contact Ricks Rods and purchase a NOS Phillipson blank.

Tight Lines And Classic Fiberglass Fly Rods Are Not A Thing Of The Past Loops
Andy M

Post 28 Oct 2019, 19:04 • #6 
Master Guide
Nice post and great advice from Andy. He tuned up an old family Phillipson that once fished all over the northeast and is now still going strong. Keep your eyes peeled and you should find fair deals on vintage rods in need of a rebuild.

Post 28 Oct 2019, 19:23 • #7 
Guide
I bought an older Phillipson for $20 that need a general overall rebuild do to its well used state, after guides, reel seat, grip, and tiptop it looks nearly new with only one chip in the original finish that gives away its well used life. I figure I'm way ahead as no way are you buying a quality blank for $20 and the rod has to be full of good mojo given how many fish it has already caught throughout its life. And I now have a new Phillipson finished to my taste, I did choose components/colors I thought Phillipson would have chosen if still in business today.

Post 29 Oct 2019, 09:28 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Grouse it was an honor to tune up that Phillipson family heirloom for you and yours.

Don technically Phillipson is still in business, Ricks Rods owns the Phillipson shop,name,rights,NOS rod making materials and sells the last I knew finished rods.
Quote:
"no way are you buying a quality blank for $20 and the rod has to be full of good mojo"

Quote:
"I now have a new Phillipson finished to my taste"

Don that's music to many folks ears !!
I Just Wish Rat Face Was Around To Hear It !!

As many of you know unfortunately I had to stop taking in work due to health issues,however I still get out to the Flea Market once in a while.
I picked up an amazing rod last summer, it's a H.L Leonard Phillipson glass rod with Nickle Silver Ferrules,The Butternut Inserted Leonard Reel Seat, Full length,it needs a complete remake the wraps are light brown and fraying,the grip seat and ferrule are all serviceable and can be retained,the blank is 100 % with only a few very minor paint rubs, it's an 8' 2/1 5/6 Weight.

It had a very dirty Hardy Lightweight reel with a bent spool holding a 444 line hanging off of it as well.

I picked up the package for less that the price of the stripping guide,whom ever the fool was that said you don't find Treasures at the Northeast flea markets never went shopping with me.

While I was walking around the flea with the rod this guy in the crowd out of the blue asked to purchase the rod from me,He wanted to give me 20 bucks,Nope,then he says how about just the reel,my answer was the line is worth 25 bucks,he says keep the line I'll give you 25 for the reel,Nope 100 bucks not a penny less.

His response was your nuts the spool is bent,it had a very small tweak where the handle got whacked a very easy fix. I said sorry that's my price and walked away.

We go our separate ways,it's old home week so I'm chatting with some of the vendors,I'm looking at a Run Of The Mill Mint Monty doing a half ass ed appraisal telling the guy to put 300 on it and don't take less than 2.

The reel guy appears again out of the blue and says I have 85 that's the best I can do.
Sold to the man in the green hat.

This Phillipson rod has allot of Mojo and I haven't done anything to it yet . :eek

Tight Lines And Flea Market Gotta Love It Loops
Andy M

Post 29 Oct 2019, 10:06 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Go Glassmaster. And you didn't even have to trot out the line offering to take the rod to the dump if the seller gave you $10. I guess it wouldn't have worked on the Monty, either.

You could have bought something else, a World's Fair coffee mug, for example, for $25, and then grabbed the Monty. After your dump-haul fee of $30, he would have owed you only $5 change for the mug. It would have been a good deal for the seller

Post 29 Oct 2019, 12:05 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks Whirly Hows It Hanggin ?
The OP is a good egg lets try to stay on the "Modern Phillipson" Topic.
Kind Of A Oxymoron by Todays Standards,However For Those Of Us That Do Remember When Phillipson Was The Modern Latest Greatest Gotta Have Fishing Rods,With Advertisements Adorning The Pages Of Field And Stream And Alike.

Here is some evidence that my memory is shot,the Leonard/Phillipson has green and red wraps and is an 8'6" 2/1 6/7 weight.
Also noticed the rod has Leonard Ferrules and Not the normal Phillipson ferrule.
Also picked up a couple of other rods in my travels that I couldn't pass up.
1 piece 6' Lamiglas with foul proof guides,this was the brown thread rod.
This is a spinning rod built on a fly rod blank,in the right hand this blank will make an amazing small stream rod.
A early balsa core Wonderod 2/1 Spinning rod that will get a tune up clean up and join the arsenal.

Tight Lines And One Mans Junk Phillipson Rod, In Another Mans Hands Can Soon Be A Treasured Fishing Tool Loops :P
Andy M

Post 29 Oct 2019, 12:39 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Just an expose of the bargaining strategy on the next "old fashioned" Phillipson someone spies at a flea market.

My memory is going, too, but I have seen too many of these horse traders operate to forget 'em all. It is a great art.

I also remember that 40 years ago, even with my meager skill at the time, I bargained a local shop into lending me a Phillipson while S.A. sent me a loaner System 5. In one of the few errors of judgment I have ever made in my whole entire life, I didn't keep either and wound up with a graphite rod instead. Years later, I made up for it with an Ebay "steal" of a System 5.

The only mistake left was not to focus on a fiberglass Phillipson or Phillipson-supplied, Leonard, LL Bean, or Orvis. My one Phillipson deal, on a new old stock bamboo blank in the late 70s, fell through when it was damaged in shipping. I still keep an eye out but haven't spotted one like the 'glass loaner I had, plus I can't remember the model. I would remember the feel immediately if I plucked one out of a barrel at a "junk" sale.

Anybody who gets to these classic, good-as-ever Phillipsons before me will get longer, more, and better use out of it anyhow, so I hope they do.

Post 29 Oct 2019, 14:43 • #12 
Sport
in my search for modern Phillipson's i decided to try an epic 686.Just getting parts together for the build.
My old chiefrain has wrangled it's way into my last several outings( am I the only guy who asks his rods who wants to fish today?).We have caught several nice cutties in the 5-10# range and a sore arms worth of equal sized rainbows.No issues with horsing the fish if required.
Notice how small the guides are on those rods?The stripper is same size as a 1 snake.

Post 15 Dec 2019, 21:30 • #13 
Piscator
Last week, picked up a Fly Fox F66 for $120 unopposed bid on ebay.
It's just a hair slower and just a hair heavier than my Royal Wand F66.
But they're both so light and crisp, the differences are insignificant, and you really can't tell unless you're comparing them at the same time.
Both rods date to about '69-70, and represent Bill Phillipson's first hands-on fiberglass sleeve ferrules.

The only difference in the guides, otherwise identical spacings, the RWF66C adds a second double-wire-loop stripping guide just below the ferrule, while the FF66C uses a single stripper at intermediate spacing.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 16 Dec 2019, 09:36, edited 4 times in total.

Post 15 Dec 2019, 22:35 • #14 
Master Guide
Nice score, Bulldog.

Post 16 Dec 2019, 05:37 • #15 
Master Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
Last week, picked up a Fly Fox F66 for $120 unopposed bid on ebay.
It's just a hair slower and just a hair heavier than my Royal Wand F66.
But they're both so light and crisp, the differences are insignificant, and you really can't tell unless you're comparing them at the same time.
Both rods date to about '69-70.

Nice catch! I think i saw that one and was tempted.

Im really liking my mf60 sliding ring and 1392 with cut down wf6 line. Need to get it on some water rather than casting for random dog turds in the back yard. Think its one of my favorite.

Post 16 Dec 2019, 07:10 • #16 
Piscator
Of course I fish mine with BS-100, but even have around a few Teeny short-belly floating lines in 5 and 6, which match these rods wonderfully in the tightest situations.
Here's a photo Donny took of me with my GMF60C on Cibolo Creek, chasing A-strain endemic bass.
There are just a couple of rods that work in this tightly overhung spring creek, where even a 705 is pushing it for usable length.
The other rods to bring here are 6'3" Para/metric and Lami 605.
The BPS 10-m DT5 (Cortland) will turn these little rods into dry fly scalpels.

Post 16 Dec 2019, 17:40 • #17 
Administrator
bulldog1935 wrote:
Last week, picked up a Fly Fox F66 for $120 unopposed bid on ebay...

I wondered how long until that rod showed up on the forum. Ron stole it out from under everyone's noses! eBay buying is an art when skillfully done. Nearly fifty years later, Ron's rod is headed back to the water with a wipe down and some wax. How many of us will burn that much on gasoline next month?

Those of you who saw that auction and did not act - Go sit in the Corner of Shame! You need to write, "I will pay closer attention to Phillipson auctions" one hundred and twenty one times on the board before you can log onto the forum again.

I can't think of any modern glass with that late model Phillipson feel. So buy a Phillipson! Ron didn't scoop the only Phillipson that will ever be seen on eBay. Great rods are on eBay. All! The! Time! Some are ready to go, like Ron's Fly Fox. Some need a rebuild, this is the Tackle Tinkering forum after all. Some are trash to avoid (friends don't let friends buy rods with short tips - yes it can be repaired, but why?)

Watch dozens or hundreds of auctions. Do your homework and learn the seasons. Get an idea which rods sell fast and which just sit. Then when the opportunity presents you will be ready - do not hesitate! You too can make eBay buying an art.

Tom

You still aren't convinced? This photo took me 10 years. The average price was just above Ron's Fly Fox. One was a Buy-it-Now that I bought on contact. The deals are there, Grasshopper.

Post 16 Dec 2019, 19:13 • #18 
Sport
yes the deals are out there.I just received a nos fenwick fl 96-7f blank, ebay.
I just finished rebuilding a fl 108-9.I have to wait a few days for the varnish to harden up then give it a test.The 108 was originally made up as a 1 piece salmon
rod.It has sat unused down in my basement for the last 10 or so years,forgotten.I
stripped it down ,cut it in half, new guides and fitted a spigot ferrule.I am finding that rod searching is kinda like fishing.

Post 16 Dec 2019, 21:47 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
jgestar wrote:
bulldog1935 wrote:

You still aren't convinced? This photo took me 10 years. The average price was just above Ron's Fly Fox. One was a Buy-it-Now that I bought on contact. The deals are there, Grasshopper.

I'm seeing double. That is a rod worth owning two of.

Post 16 Dec 2019, 22:08 • #20 
Administrator
carlz wrote:
jgestar wrote:
bulldog1935 wrote:

Actually, I like the FF84 better. The FF83 is a bit hingey - as if the tip section is lighter than the butt. The FF83 loads and casts just fine with a 4-weight line, but you have to pay attention to avoid tailing loops. I had to get a second one to make sure my opinion was correct...

Tom

Post 16 Dec 2019, 23:06 • #21 
Master Guide
Holy smokes, two ff83's!

I made a best offer that was accepted on a MF76L im excited about because i just love the way it casts a 4wt and i dont have any decent vintage 4wts ((except maybe the 70RR that to me is a slightly better 3 (one of the best i have ever cast) than a 4 but supposed to be a 5)). Got the 84 covered.

Post 17 Dec 2019, 22:09 • #22 
Master Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
Of course I fish mine with BS-100, but even have around a few Teeny short-belly floating lines in 5 and 6, which match these rods wonderfully in the tightest situations.
Here's a photo Donny took of me with my GMF60C on Cibolo Creek, chasing A-strain endemic bass.
There are just a couple of rods that work in this tightly overhung spring creek, where even a 705 is pushing it for usable length.
The other rods to bring here are 6'3" Para/metric and Lami 605.
The BPS 10-m DT5 (Cortland) will turn these little rods into dry fly scalpels.

Thanks for the MF60 line advice! Looks like an MG3 on it. Nice picture.

When i get mine on the water i will try some other lines.

Post 17 Dec 2019, 22:20 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
jgestar wrote:
carlz wrote:

Actually, I like the FF84 better. The FF83 is a bit hingey - as if the tip section is lighter than the butt. The FF83 loads and casts just fine with a 4-weight line, but you have to pay attention to avoid tailing loops. I had to get a second one to make sure my opinion was correct...

I do own two FF84's and only one FF83, so you must be right. My FF83 came with two tips, so I don't know what the story is with it. I haven't felt the hinge. The FF83 is better than most modern glass rods. The FF84 has a bit more swing weight, and requires me slowing down a lot more. When I'm relaxed, it is magical.

Last edited by carlz on 19 Dec 2019, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Dec 2019, 23:56 • #24 
Sport
The Glass Master wrote:
A early balsa core Wonderod 2/1 Spinning rod that will get a tune up clean up and join the arsenal.
Andy M

Can you tell me what to look for to identify the balsa core Wonderods. To me, your green spinning rod looks opaque, and for the life of me, I would never have pegged it as having a balsa core. On the other hand, I have a couple of Wonderods I think are that shade of green, but had never suspected they might be balsa core

( Fingers Crossed )
nunc

Post 18 Dec 2019, 10:36 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
The Wonderod in question has a missing butt cap so we can see the wooden core.

You make a good point however as adding a wooden core to spinning rods was common practice.
I've seen this with a number of manufactures of the day.

Since this topic is about Phillipson I'll mention how Ive seen Phillipson spinning rods with both Wooden and Aluminum reinforcements either inside the rod blank or over the outside of the blank as a reinforcement under the grip and reel seat.

You're absolutly right the rest of this blank could be hollow. My assumption was based by what I saw.

This rod is going to be a repair project I'll do with my Grandsons,getting the rod ready to fish again,as a small part of my working with them to Appreciate and Fish Vintage Equipment.

Tight Lines And Cored Loops
Andy M
Ron amazing score on that Phillipson.BRAVO
Have had Phillipson on my radar for at least a decade now.what amazes me is how many unfished or in near mint rods keep being offered for sale.
Many years ago I mentioned how on average 8 rods per week were offered for sale.
That hasn't changed much,the price however has fluctuated a bit.
Another Thing That Hasn't Changed,In My Opnion Of Course "Phillipson Remains To Be The Worlds Finest"
Tight Lines And Modern Phillipson Loops
Andy M

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply