It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:46

New Topic Add Reply
7/8 weight blanks
Post 31 Jul 2019, 10:25 • #1 
Sport
Hi all,

I’m looking for some input on a new warmwater blank to build. Basically, a tough, versatile rod for smallmouth and northerns. I plan to take this rod on canoe trips in WI, MN and Canada. There will be some bushwhack portages, so breaking down to not stick too far out of a Duluth pack is a definite plus. 4 pieces would be ideal, 3 pieces should work. I think an ideal rod would be comfortable casting Size 1-2 Clousers and weighted crayfish, and lightly weighted streamers up to about 6-7 inches long. Most flies will be smaller streamers and poppers though. The average fish will probably be 12-18-inch smallmouths, and northerns to about 25-inches, so I’d like it to bend with these. But there is the legitimate possibility of an occasional 35-inch northern (or musky!), so it can’t be too wimpy. Average casts probably in the 30-50-foot range. I think a powerful 7 or versatile 8 weight will be a good compromise for the average fishing vs. the upper end of what I’ll ask of it. Also, canoe trips can be tough on rods, and it will end up shoved in the bottom of a canoe on occasion and possibly end its life by taking a swim (there will be whitewater on some trips). So, lowish-price is a positive, but I do try to care for my equipment, and would prioritize performance, enjoyment and durability over price.

Here is a list of rods I’ve found, and I’m wondering if people have experience/recommendations with any of them given my criteria, or others to check out. I haven’t found much info out there about many of these blanks.

- McFarland GTX 786, 886 or Big Game 8710
- Tom Morgan Unity with the Universe 4 piece
- Proof Tandoor 8' 7 wt or Fulcrum 8'4" 8 wt

Thanks.

P.S. I suppose I’d be open to built rods if someone feels those options meet my criteria better, but I’d prefer to build it myself if possible.

Re: 7/8 weight blanks
Post 31 Jul 2019, 11:27 • #2 
Master Guide
The Tandoor is a solid 7/8wt. that will serve you well. I know there are a few folks here who have fished it so I'll defer to them.

Post 31 Jul 2019, 11:57 • #3 
Guide
There were some TL Johnson 4 pc 8 weight glass blanks on e-bay (I bought the last 7 wt, and love it), if still available this would most certainly meet your criteria and you would have a high end (at one time, no longer made) rod at a great price.

Just checked and they are still for sale, and if you go into their e-bay store you will find blanks built (except cork and seat) even cheaper. I have the 7 wt ES and it is the nicest/smoothest 7 wt I own.

Post 31 Jul 2019, 16:27 • #4 
Master Guide
From what you describe as to fishing conditions, size of patterns and fish species, I'd recommend an 8wt.
********* 898-4
Epic 888-4
CTS 888-4
McFarland GTX 868-4
Any of those 4.

A 7wt will work with some of the smaller patterns you describe, the 8wt will give you more versatility with the bigger stuff and if you tangle with a pike or his bigger cousin.

Also, those TL Johnson blanks on ebay, they are not glass, Graphite, made by CTS for TJ Johnson, except for the Fish Creek stuff, those are import graphite from China.

Post 01 Aug 2019, 06:35 • #5 
Guide
My apologies on the TL Johnson blanks, somehow I got it in my head they were glass.

Post 04 Aug 2019, 09:51 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
You might ask around and see if anyone has an old Steffen 7/8 blank lying around (they don't seem to make that configuration anymore). Mine is 8'6" and four pieces and I think it'd be perfect for what you're describing ...

Post 04 Aug 2019, 21:46 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
jalthoff wrote:
You might ask around and see if anyone has an old Steffen 7/8 blank lying around (they don't seem to make that configuration anymore). Mine is 8'6" and four pieces and I think it'd be perfect for what you're describing ...

Ditto. If you can find one, the Steffen 8’6” 7/8 is a magic rod. But honestly you probably can’t go wrong with anything that’s been mentioned.

The only negative thing I can think of about any of the rods mentioned, is that I found the Epic 888, while really powerful, just too heavy to be lots of fun.

If you dont want to spend a lot and will go vintage, there’s not much an FF807 cant handle with the right line. Might be able to find the unbuilt blank version as well.

Post 05 Aug 2019, 11:37 • #8 
Sport
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll mull it over for a little while, but know that I can't go wrong. A Steffen 7/8 (in 4 pc.) does sound perfect, but probably a long shot. But maybe I'll throw up a WTB post just in case... As for the FF807, it's on my radar for day canoeing trips, and if I end up with an 8 weight to build, might consider the FF807 too down the road. But as it only comes in 2 pc, not exactly what I'm looking for for this rod.

Post 21 Aug 2019, 10:34 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I used a Fenwick Voyageur SF75-5 on a Boundary Waters trip, packs up neatly into the portage pack. It's only 6wt but it is glass so can handle pretty much anything..
Orvis Access 6wt saltwater line, much the same profile as a bass line, was able to throw a 5" Half-and-Half with lead eyes, quite happily.

Did not fly fish much unfortunately, but it caught the range of SM and pike you mention (except for the big pike) with no problems, though my companions were impressed by the deep bends I put into it..

Post 21 Aug 2019, 11:45 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice!

Post 21 Aug 2019, 12:00 • #11 
Sport
I haven't built the Tandoor, but I've built a handful of other Proof rods and I'm impressed by the bang for the buck.

Post 04 Oct 2019, 15:42 • #12 
I have a ********* 898-4 and I absolutely love it. I've fished it for smallmouth, largemouth, and redfish so far. I've thrown the SA Redfish warm (225 gr) and Bass Bug (280 gr) and it's handled both beautifully, though I like the redfish grain weight on it better.

Post 04 Oct 2019, 16:44 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
The Steffen 8’3” 7/8 or 8’6”7/8 3pc with 7wt line is as good as it gets for Smallies. Tough as nails, fishes beautifully, and casts Smallmouth weight flies with aplomb. Keep going til you find one because they aren’t made anymore. A tic better than the 6/7’s for Smallmouth fishing.

Post 15 Nov 2019, 12:13 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Figured I’d add to the list - that Markus Haldin 8ft 8wt that Christian just posted his build pictures of might be a good solution. I think he’s got a 7wt too.

Post 02 Dec 2019, 02:24 • #15 
Guide
I would talk to Dusty , I’m sure he could fix you up with a nice option , possibly a couple ?

New Topic Add Reply