It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:22

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Proof Components
Post 20 Jul 2019, 22:36 • #1 
Guide
Hi guys!

Has anyone built a rod using components bought from Proof? I purchased a grip and a reel seat among other items, and I’m curious what the forum consensus is as I await my package in the mail.

This will be my first build from blank to completed rod. I’ve chosen to build using that *other* material on an early Scott G Series 904-2 blank. I know, I know, not fiberglass but a damn fine rod nonetheless.

I’m excited to get building! Hopefully this is the first of many. I’d love to build a 2 or 3 weight glass rod next, since I’m already covered from my #4 SFG up to my #7 Echo glass Spey rod.

Re: Proof Components
Post 21 Jul 2019, 12:27 • #2 
Guide
I've had a very good experience with Proof. I have redone the grip/seat on 8 rods and am very pleased with the results. Matt is great to deal with.

Post 21 Jul 2019, 12:50 • #3 
Guide
Have ordered many times for components from Matt with grips , snake guides , threads and such , been first rate all the way , never had any problems whatsoever , based on my experience I would highly reccomend Proof Fly Fishing to anyone ...

Post 21 Jul 2019, 13:12 • #4 
Inactive
Good stuff , even got a free fly once .

Post 21 Jul 2019, 13:28 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I have purchased two cork grips and one reel seat from Proof. No complaints regarding the merchandise, with the qualifier that there was more cork fill than used to seeing, as I usually order cork rings and turn my own grips. As for some of the hardware such as guides, you can source Snake brand guides from many distributors so that’s a push. I know nothing more about his blanks than what is written on the forum.

Post 21 Jul 2019, 14:40 • #6 
Inactive
I have a rod that I built on his 6" 2-wt olive blank and I love it . Great little glass rod .

Post 21 Jul 2019, 18:52 • #7 
Guide
Thanks guys! I’m looking forward to getting started.

Ron, that #2 looks like a gem. Maybe that’ll be my next build.

Post 21 Jul 2019, 19:54 • #8 
Inactive
Thanks , I really like her . The cork is dark because I always seal them .

Post 21 Jul 2019, 21:21 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I think I have used every component Matt sells - awesome stuff.

Post 21 Jul 2019, 21:41 • #10 
Master Guide
Very fast shipping and very nice quality for reasonable prices.

Post 22 Jul 2019, 09:41 • #11 
Sport
I've worked with Matt twice. Ordered a grip and reel seat one time, and last winter I built his Luna 5wt.
Looking forward to another build this winter.

Post 22 Jul 2019, 12:02 • #12 
Sport
I have three rods that I'm currently working on with Matt's components. Everything is top notch and easy to work with. I'm amazed at the quality of rod I can build with his tutorial videos.

jangles wrote:
Thanks , I really like her . The cork is dark because I always seal them .

If you don't mind me asking, how do you seal the cork?

Post 22 Jul 2019, 12:11 • #13 
Inactive
I use this . Just brush it on .

Post 22 Jul 2019, 17:32 • #14 
Guide
Ron, how do you like the single foot guides compared to snakes? I only have single doors on my St. Croix Legend Ultra, but I don’t fish it much. Curious if there’s a notable difference.

Post 22 Jul 2019, 17:44 • #15 
Inactive
Well some people will tell you they are lighter but if they are it's so negligible that they only thing will ever know it is a drug scale . I personally like the looks better but they can be a pain the get on and when you do you need to use a Forhan locking wrap and it locks them in place . Also there is less wrapping involved , I like that too . That rod buy the way tips the scale at 1.8 oz .

Last edited by jangles on 22 Jul 2019, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 Jul 2019, 20:18 • #16 
Sport
CO Glass Guy wrote:
Ron, how do you like the single foot guides compared to snakes? I only have single doors on my St. Croix Legend Ultra, but I don’t fish it much. Curious if there’s a notable difference.

I personally hate single foot guides. I feel like the chance that they catch on something and bend is way high. They're not as tough as snake guides IMO.

Post 23 Jul 2019, 08:22 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Just so this discussion can stay on Proof products, I'll divert discussion of two perennial topics, sealing and guide types, with some links. If building a rod with components from Proof, and if unsure on component choice, a query can be very helpful in guiding a choice beyond the generic points in the discussions.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61021#p305837

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16463&p=100169&hilit=ring+hardware#p100169

Post 23 Jul 2019, 15:59 • #18 
Guide
I've bought a lot of stuff from Proof, emphasis on a LOT! Two times I have had issues with orders, (no one is perfect and mistakes happen) both times Matt immediately went above and beyond to make it right. That is the kind of service I look for when choosing where to buy. I still buy things elsewhere (Proof can't possibly stock everything a person might want or need) but Proof is where I go first when looking for components. Don't get me started on some of the other fly rod component sellers and their sales practices. And the plus of the whole thing is some of the really cool flies that get tossed in the box on big orders!

Post 23 Jul 2019, 20:38 • #19 
Master Guide
Proof is now one of my first places I got for stuff. I really like that I can preview the agates before I buy them.

Post 25 Jul 2019, 15:50 • #20 
Guide
Proof = good stuff

Post 28 Jul 2019, 11:34 • #21 
Guide
Re single foot guides: seems like it’s more of a style choice than anything else. :)

I think they look cool on the right rod.

I’m still awaiting my shipment (postal service’s fault), but I’m exciting to get building. I may also tinker with some of my existing rods. I prefer downlocking reel seats on longer (9’ and greater) rods or heavier rods like glass. I think it’s easier to balance with today’s ultralight reels.

Post 29 Jul 2019, 17:37 • #22 
Master Guide
Proof is where I get most of my stuff from.

Post 31 Jul 2019, 06:58 • #23 
Master Guide
Thanks for all the comments. We have a number of new products and videos in the works. If you have an idea for a product, please drop us a line. Its been great getting to know so many of you. Thanks for your support.

Matt

Post 31 Jul 2019, 09:27 • #24 
Sport
CO Glass Guy wrote:
Re single foot guides: seems like it’s more of a style choice than anything else. :)

I think they look cool on the right rod.

I’m still awaiting my shipment (postal service’s fault), but I’m exciting to get building. I may also tinker with some of my existing rods. I prefer downlocking reel seats on longer (9’ and greater) rods or heavier rods like glass. I think it’s easier to balance with today’s ultralight reels.

I've been putting downlocking seats on all my builds. It allows me to use a lighter reel to balance the rod, meaning the whole outfit is lighter than it would be with an uplocking seat, for a given balance point.

Post 01 Aug 2019, 12:14 • #25 
ApostateTapir wrote:
CO Glass Guy wrote:
I've been putting downlocking seats on all my builds. It allows me to use a lighter reel to balance the rod, meaning the whole outfit is lighter than it would be with an uplocking seat, for a given balance point.

I'm confused which isn't the first time. I've never built a rod but I think I understand levers, weights & balances.

By pulling the reel down the balance would shift more weight to the tip which would require a heavier reel. no?

To visualize
Say this is balanced:
-----|--
rod, reel, realseat

then you do this :
------|-

The tip side would fall down as it weighs more.

If you used an uplocking reel seat the fulcrum moves forward & less weight is needed to balance at the reel end.

Someone please explain what I can't see.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply