It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 07:20

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Proof Components
Post 01 Aug 2019, 14:06 • #26 
Sport
The fulcrum is ideally in the smack middle of the grip (my preference), so a DL seat puts the reel farther from the fulcrum (middle of the grip) than an UL seat. Therefore, a lighter reel can be used on a DL seat.

Think of your fly rod perfectly balanced on your finger, in the middle of the grip. Now you move your reel from an UL position to a DL position. The reel moved farther from your finger so, unless you get a lighter reel, it will now tip back towards the reel. Does that make sense?

Post 01 Aug 2019, 14:38 • #27 
Yep. The fulcrum doesn't depend on reel positioning; the fulcrum is where the rod is held.

In essence, its like a teeter totter. Weight has greater leverage if the weight is shifted to the end of the lever.

Thanks.

Post 01 Aug 2019, 15:30 • #28 
Guide
If you have a fixed balance point putting on a downlocking reel seat moves the reel back and increases the moment arm for the reel. That allows you to use a lighter reel to achieve the same effect as a heavier reel on an uplocking reel seat. You seem to be visualizing a moving balance point.

Post 15 Sep 2019, 18:25 • #29 
Guide
Probably not needed to be said at this point, but Proof has been great. Matt has answered a ton of my questions, always respectful and responsive, and offers great products for the price.

Post 23 Sep 2019, 20:44 • #30 
Master Guide
Any issues with a Proof order and one email it gets fixed. His cap and ring Seats are great and the Fenwick grips are on 3 of my old Fenwicks and most of my new builds from the past few years. Real nice stuff

Post 23 Sep 2019, 20:54 • #31 
Inactive
No issue with Matt at all but his web site is a little lacking . I just mad an order yesterday and got an email today that it's in the mail .

Post 02 Jul 2020, 09:00 • #32 
Guide
Matt helped me out this past weekend. Broke off the end of the blank that I am working on by overtwisting, trying to get the reel seat off. I texted him (his # is on his website), and he called me shortly thereafter. On a weekend. We talked and decided an 11" stent will do what I need. He walked me through how to order the custom size on his website too. Can't say enough about the customer service experience. A+!

Post 02 Jul 2020, 09:05 • #33 
Sport
Matt is a class act. We've emailed back and forth probably a hundred times over the course of the year I've been building. Here's been insanely helpful!

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply