It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:56

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Jun 2019, 15:50 • #26 
When I modified an old 9'6" #5-6 IM 6 blank (I shortened the butt section about 5" one foot from the "ferrule" and the tip section the same amount from the tip down) to make a longish, but light, spinning rod dedicated to pendulum casting small Mepps's for sea-run browns on my overgrown stream, I found much advise in this article:

https://www.rodbuilding.org/library/repair-oquinn.html

Btw, people told me it was impossible to repair/modify graphite rods and get it durable, but so far it has hold up, maybe because no fish have been heavier than about 4 Pounds. :)

Post 09 Jul 2019, 14:03 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Well I cheated! I found a Colton fly rod on the auction site, it was the same weight and length as the one I was working on, and it had a broken tip so I got it for next to nothing. When I got it home last night I thought, Hey I wonder if the 3rd section would fit on my Fenwick...it did and I called it good. I have a complete rod...I am going to lawn cast it tonight and then sub out the tip onto the Colton and see which way I like it and that will be the end of this project. I saved all the extra pieces incase I find another "project"

Again thank you all for your help...I learned a bunch

Post 12 Nov 2020, 16:56 • #28 
I am glad you found a solution!

Addendum, now the above mentioned rod has accounted for a Salmon of 10.5 Pounds. It is still holding together... :)

Excuses for bragging.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply