It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:34

New Topic Add Reply
"Get Bent" Ebay Blanks?
Post 02 Feb 2019, 15:30 • #1 
Inactive
Anyone get a $27 blank off of ebay by a seller named GetBent? Curious if it's worth it. Seems like most of these cheap blanks have poorly fitting ferrules.

Post 02 Feb 2019, 16:56 • #2 
Guide
I got a 6'6" 3 wt early this winter for $18 got it built but it has been frozen solid since then so haven't tried it out, but finish, fit and straightness look good. If it throws line halfway decent I'd buy from him again in a heartbeat.
I suspect the price reduction was color related as it is fairly bright orange, gonna call it "hunter special".
I bought several other things that were heavily discounted and was pleased with it all, if nothing else he ships fast.

Post 02 Feb 2019, 18:30 • #3 
Inactive
Thanks for the review! Thinking about the gray 6' 2wt.

Post 06 Feb 2019, 09:55 • #4 
Guide
I have a small list of his queued up and ready to go. There are a few things that look interesting.

Post 06 Feb 2019, 20:01 • #5 
Master Guide
a blank for $27 is worth it even if it has some issues. buy two and use the parts you like.

Post 08 May 2019, 09:32 • #6 
Guide
As follow up I finally got my built 6'6" 3 wt 3 pc from Get Bent blank out to fish, it throws a 3 wt line just fine and I like it (the stream I was on was only 10' wide so I wasn't casting much line). Ferrule fit would be perfect if I sanded one down just a hair, rod is dead straight tip to butt, the finish looks good. I bought this blank for $18 and spent as little as possible on components with idea being it would be a good rod for beating through the brush and if broke no big money loss. I have around $80 into it and am very happy with it.
The closest thing I own to compare it to is a 7' 4wt T L Johnson, there is no comparison the T L Johnson wins easily but than it should given the cost difference.

Should have added I was happy enough to buy two more blanks (paid $27 ea) , one for my son and one to loan out to whoever might be visiting, both blanks look good and ferrule fit and straightness are good.

Post 08 May 2019, 09:39 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
You can always dress the ferrules. A caution to others: clean the ferrule thoroughly to remove any remnant manufacturing debris. Use the rod a few times to enable any "wear-in" process. A few temperature and light changes will take place during this time as well. There can be very, very slight compression and stabilizing of the mating surfaces. Then, if convinced the gap is longer than need be, consider dressing the ferrule.

Post 08 May 2019, 09:54 • #8 
Master Guide
I just got a 6’ 2 wt from GB. I swear it’s the same manufacturer as the one that Anglers Roost carried. But these are straighter. I got the white and the only problem is you can see the glue slop from where they glued in the ferrules. I guess it’s better to see extra than none at all. A little thread should hide it.

Post 08 May 2019, 10:40 • #9 
Guide
As Whrlpool said I purposely didn't fit the ferrules until I fished it a little, the long gap has closed a little already and if I was't so !!!! it would be fine just the way it is.

As a side note I bought a 7' 4wt from a shop/guy in Wyoming, it is white/transparent (looks just like all the other China blanks for sale out there) and as Cheffy says the glue joints really show. The real issue I have with it is the terrible layup, very rough with globs of glass/resin in two different areas of the blank (making the blank extra thick), haven't fished it yet but will be shocked if it feels good. I suspect Get Bent looks over their stock and rejects the bad ones, no way to know but all three blanks I have bought from them look good. I'm fairly confident the white one will get cut up for repair parts if ever needed.

I wasn't swearing in the first paragraph but evidently the computer program felt it inappropriate, so let me say I'm too picky.

Post 08 May 2019, 15:09 • #10 
Guide
Most of these rod blanks are made in the same factory in China . One will pop up can be landed for around 3.00 to 5.00 a pop . May have to buy a bunch . pink ,green brown or blue Same Same.

Post 27 Mar 2020, 10:53 • #11 
Sport
I've built a few rods (20+) using these blanks for myself and others, aside from aesthetics they perform very well.

No performance complaints from anybody yet.

They are not perfect looking like say Epic blanks, which are the high end blanks I am familiar with.

Here's one I put together earlier this year.

Post 07 Apr 2020, 17:48 • #12 
Master Guide
Since I built the first one I’ve done a few others. Not the finest blanks like a CTS. But for the money. Not bad.
I’ve got one in the RV, one at a friends cabin and sent one out. Since I’m sitting on a thousand plus guides I’ve got minimal into them.

Post 07 Apr 2020, 20:54 • #13 
Master Guide
Quote:
Here's one I put together earlier this year.

Nice !

New Topic Add Reply