It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:03

New Topic Add Reply
CTS Quartz vs Epic
Post 04 Mar 2017, 08:59 • #1 
Sport
Hi,

I'm interested if anyone can tell me (by experience) the difference between CTS Quartz blanks and the ones from Epic. For as far as I know they both come from the same factory, only the the difference in pricing is very large.

Since I live in Europe the import taxes are very high and I want to make a good comparrison before I buy one.

Thanks for answering.

TL, Jeroen

Re: CTS Quartz vs Epic
Post 04 Mar 2017, 21:13 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
The main difference will be the tapers since Epic designs their own. CTS manufacturers the blanks for them however the similarities end there. Wjude has built and cast many of the epics and quatz so would advise sending him a Pm or hope that he chimes in. Only Epics i have cast are the 764 804 805 and 686.

Post 05 Mar 2017, 11:00 • #3 
Master Guide
Some have very little difference and others are completely different tapers, can you be a bit more specific as to what line weight and length you are interested in.

Example, the Epic 8ft 4wt and CTS Quartz 8ft 4wt are very, very close in taper, the Epic 686 and Quartz 866, the Epic seems to me to have a bit more power, both are smooth deep flexing, but I would give the Epic an edge with respect to a "stronger" tip section, little bit less flex in the tip than the Quartz.

Post 05 Mar 2017, 14:17 • #4 
Sport
Hi Wjude,
I'm thinking about a 376 or 476, CTS still offers a 3 piece configuration. I don't know why but this has my preference.
TL, Jeroen

Post 05 Mar 2017, 18:55 • #5 
Master Guide
The Epic 376 is a bit faster/stiffer than the comparable CTS Quartz, its is noticeable to me, but it is slight.

The Epic 476 vs comparable CTS Quartz, they seem the same to me.

In the shorter lengths for glass, under 8ft, I'm with you on 3 piece configuration.

Post 05 Mar 2017, 21:05 • #6 
Master Guide
This is a good question, and although I have 6 Epics and 2 CTS Quartz rods, I can't answer it from experience (only from my communications with CTS directly). My 2 CTS Quartz rods are custom blanks I designed myself. They are radical departures from the standard CTS Quartz blanks.

During my design communications with CTS, I asked them about how the heavier Epics I currently own compare with the CTS blanks so that I had some reference from which I could modify the Quartz blanks. That was really useful info that allowed me to get very close to what I wanted on the first "prototype" rod. For instance, they told me the Epic 888 is the CTS Quartz 990 contracted down to 8'8". (Not simply chopped by 4 inches off the tip or butt, but the taper was shortened in proportion.)

In your shoes, I'd send the guys at CTS a direct email and ask them for the comparisons in the blanks you're interested in. They are the guys who can tell you exactly what you'll get out of their blanks. (If you do this, please come back here and let us know what you found out.)

Cheers,
Graeme

(PS - I ended up with a phenomenal pair of 8' single piece 10wt 'glass rods, the first being a 9/10 and the second being a 10/11 in my opinion.)

Post 14 Jun 2020, 02:43 • #7 
Hi all, I'm dredging this post up from March 2017 but it's a really good question. Epic gets their blanks from CTS with both brands having excellent reputations. I'm looking at a simple 476 back up blank. I was heading towards Epic until I saw the lower price of the CTS. But am I missing out if I take that route? Any updates in the last three years on the above posts?

Post 14 Jun 2020, 08:19 • #8 
Master Guide
Epic does not get their blanks from CTS anymore. CTS stopped doing 3rd party work about 3 years ago. The CTS 476 is a very good blank, one of their more popular models. The newer Epic blank is a bit stiffer, not much, but enough to notice a difference. I also think the newer Epic's are a bit heavier in the hand, more noticeable in the heavier stuff, 6wts and up.

Post 16 Jun 2020, 13:09 • #9 
Sport
i have fished the new CTS 476 4 piece and really like it ,very light in hand, i also have a CTS 580 and it is a very nice rod, light in hand also, smooth casting rod, i do have a Red Truck glass 476 3 piece and it is a powerful rod, made in Korea and same factory that builds the new Epics.

New Topic Add Reply