It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:39

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 May 2021, 10:38 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
I have wondered why thread wraps are needed with epoxy, it would seem to me that a spot of superglue to place the guide and a lump of epoxy to hold it would last forever, epoxy bonding to the epoxy of the blank, I've speculated that the thread is the fail point in that it bonds with none of the other parts.

Post 25 May 2021, 10:59 • #27 
Guide
I always thought of thread kinda like rebar. Imagine pouring something out of concrete without it. And rebar is impervious, whereas the thread absorbs the epoxy and becomes part of it in a sense.

Post 25 May 2021, 13:34 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
I really like the rebar/concrete analogy. It's really helpful.

Personally, I don't like the look of guide tunnels, and having them open adds another failure point if water were to get in and freeze or cause other problems.

My strategy is to use epoxy for the first coat, just enough to soak up the threads and fill in the guide tunnels. I put a thick drop at the end of the foot, use a heat gun for a couple of seconds, and the epoxy wicks to the center of the guide and fills in the tunnels. Once the rest of the threads are saturated, I run my finger over them to remove any excess. I do not thin the epoxy, as that can cause all sorts of problems down the road.

Then, I apply my finish of choice on top of that (more recently, 4-6 thinned coats of varnish).

Post 27 Jun 2021, 17:40 • #29 
Sport
A little late to this thread, but I use a thinned epoxy for my first coat, saturating the threads then wiping it off as much as possible as written about earlier using varnish. I follow up and finish with varnish.

Seems like either material works as long as it's thinned, though epoxy seems to fill in the tunnels and drive out the air more so than varnish; at least that's my experience. I'm also experiencing similar problems with some silk thread I have as mentioned earlier about different portions of the wrap not fully absorbing or trapping air, creating a wrap that's doesn't look consistent as one color band (shimmers?).

So much thread, so many tests, so little time....

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply