It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:09

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
I hate CP !
Post 07 Sep 2015, 11:11 • #1 
Guide
Hi Guy's

My adventures with colour preserver continue but I'm not sure for how much longer ! :( I hate the stuff !! seems a lot more hassle then silk and varnish, lovely and translucent :)

Wrapped the bottom section of a two piece old blank I'm working on went real fancy pant's with old fashioned "big" and spiral wraps and I was happy enough till I put CP on it :( Shook the heck out of it and gave it a good soaking let it penetrate a wee bit then wiped off excess, however as you can see it seems to have gone patchy I gave it a second coat hoping it would even out but don't reckon it will !

As you can see there are patchy areas almost like water marks really peeved ! :( :( It's a lovely 9' 6wt test casting with guides taped it was shooting 75 ft plus of line with two false casts :) I'm dying to fish it and this problem is really holding things up !

I'd like to finish this project in the colour scheme I had planned and also kind of feel I have to learn how to use CP. I now reckon my only option is to remove the spoiled wraps but I'm not sure how to without damaging the finish ?? Was thinking about taping off each wrap razor blade then sand paper figure as long as I wrap over the same place it should all look ok??

Mean time I have an off cut of a blank the same colour to practice using CP hopefully to allow me to finish this project .........although im not sure id us CP again ................

Stephen

Re: I hate CP !
Post 07 Sep 2015, 11:38 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Slice a with a razor blade where the thread lies off the blank, parallel to the guide foot. Peel them right off and wrap over. You may need to buff the spot lightly with a soft cloth and alcohol or mineral spirits. I would do it one foot at a time, rewrapping that one before cutting off the one on the other foot. That way you don't have to realign the guides.

I'm with you on CP. I can use it and have, but why would I want to? It is nothing but a nuisance extra step for uniformity of color that is unnecessary on a one-of rod. For production rods, it makes sense, not that much, but it does. A nonCP finish will definitely have more character, and if anything, it will yield more durable, long-lasting protection. Not that important since all-but-forever finish is possible on CPed wraps also.

Every time I see a CP problems post, or how-to-use it post, I want to reply, don't bother. I am too stupid to ever have figured out the benefits of CP, especially with nylon thread. I have thought about it for about 40 years, not that much, obviously.
Probably a lot of the time with CP problems, the thread has been contaminated, perhaps in storage, or by the winding rig, or by oils on the fingertips when wrapping. You can make sure everything is clean, or just throw away the CP and make sure everything is pretty clean.

I can't say I hate CP, but I see no reason to be friends with it, either.

Post 07 Sep 2015, 14:06 • #3 
Master Guide
I agree with Whrlpool's comment, " I can't say I hate CP, but I see no reason to be friends with it either".

Your not alone with what happened to your application of CP. I have tried several brands of the stuff over the years and the only one that really worked well was "Al's Silk Color Preserver", I think that stuff is Alcohol Based while the others are water based. Chalk is part of the solution of both and chalk does not dissolve very well in water when compared to it dissolving in alcohol, getting it to dissolve and go back into solution is the root cause of the blotchy areas on your thread. The water based CP brands really need to be stirred for a very long time to get them right, or rolled as Andy Manchester suggested in another post in this forum. I do not recommend shaking the bottle, that will also cause the chalk to come out of solution. For each of the brands of CP you really need to heed to the instructions they come with. Each one is a bit different.

I've never been a big fan of the look the tread has after using CP, in my opinion it looses some of its natural luster, that brightness nylon or silk has when just covered with epoxy or varnish.

Good luck, I have felt your pain with the stuff in the past.

Post 07 Sep 2015, 14:33 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Why not just use NCP thread?

Post 07 Sep 2015, 14:40 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Try 4 coats. I find working with cp and nylon thread pretty easy. The wrap will look like it is covered in plastic, but that look vanishes when you put the epoxy on.

Post 07 Sep 2015, 15:10 • #6 
Guide
https://raspberryfisher.wordpress.com/2 ... poxy-test/

some time ago I took a step aside and decided to find what work for me. now I am not advocating that you need to be as AR (!!!! retentive) as I was, but practice on a piece of wood and define your routine

last, why not go with no CP. the effect of CP may be nice if you are into playing colours, but otherwise I see no real gains. many people here demonstrate beautiful work without CP

Post 07 Sep 2015, 15:18 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
This is a real problem when using light colored thread, especially yellow, on a darker blank. Blotches happen because you get differential penetration. I don't know how to overcome that. You will get blotches if you use this color even if you just apply varnish or epoxy to non-preserved wraps. I would suggest you remove the thread and start over with an NCP or no color preserver thread like picketpin and raspberry say, and try again. Or, change your wraps to a different, darker color.

Sorry if earlier posts steered you wrong, I did not realize you were using this color thread. I don't want to tell you how many rods I ruined before I learned this. I still do it now and then.
John

Post 07 Sep 2015, 18:44 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
For cryin out loud! Use NCP and git 'er done. :-)

Post 07 Sep 2015, 20:49 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I've pretty much given up on cp as well, and most certainly using it on any of the yellow/gold variety threads. I have followed the cp directions to the letter and used it on very nearly every name brand of thread and it has been uniform only in the blotchiness.

Best of luck.

Post 07 Sep 2015, 20:55 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I can safely say, I hate cp also. I use it on occasion but it hate it.

Bob

Post 07 Sep 2015, 20:57 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Excessive thread tension has ill effects on the uniform penetration of color preserver.
I find the old stand by 50/50 Clear Lacquer/Lacquer Thinner 3- 4 coats to be the color preserver that I get the best results with, especially with yellows and golds etc on brown or black blanks :eek
Tight Lines And Old School Loops
Andy M
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post 07 Sep 2015, 21:07 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Dang, those are really nice Andy. For me, CP is always a crap shoot. I don't use it a lot. I've have good results using U40 Color Lock, and Miniwax Polycrylic.

Post 07 Sep 2015, 21:12 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
When it's your rod you can do as you like !
Tight Lines And Whatever Floats Your Boat Loops
Andy M

Post 07 Sep 2015, 22:26 • #14 
Guide
Before the OP cuts everything off and starts over, I'd suggest applying at least 4 coats of CP and see if it doesn't improve. Don't wipe it off... let it soak in and dry. You can still cut it off and start over if it doesn't work.

I've started using Polycrylic thinned 50% with water, adding coats until the latest wet coat doesn't change the color as it's applied. It looks blotchy at first but evens out by the 3rd or 4th coat.

Last edited by jimbofish on 08 Sep 2015, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Sep 2015, 23:14 • #15 
Guide
Andy, those are amazing wraps. nice eye for colour.

Post 08 Sep 2015, 00:15 • #16 
Guide
I haven't built as many rods as most of these guys have but I've never really had any issues with CP. I usually put at least 2 coats of the FC CP which is what I use the most but sometimes it might take 1 more to get the job done.

As someone noted above the threads tend to look like they're plastic coated until the epoxy is put on then it looks great (for me anyway).

Also, as whrlpool noted what looks like a CP problem sometimes is a contamination problem with something on the thread which I have seen. Ok I did it and still have no idea what it was... 8o

One tip I've learned THE HARD WAY is to be really careful with using alcohol on a blank because it will strip the paint off some blanks. Ask me how I know.

Post 08 Sep 2015, 03:37 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
.The only CP I have had good luck with, consistantly has been lacquer. And I gave that up years ago for NCP thread. It doesn't have the shimmer and luster and beauty of regular thread but it still looks damn good with spar.
RFMcD

Post 08 Sep 2015, 08:42 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Thanks
I like what I call Flower Garden Tones.
The Green With Light Tan Tipping is Silk so is the Yellow on the Sceptre Brown blank the rest are Nylon.
My preference is to lean toward not using C.P. whenever I can.

However the successful use of C.P. on presentation quality rods add another facet of the rod makers art to the finished piece Especially if it's a light color on a dark blank in my opinion.

On the rod I'm preparing for the Northeast Glass Clave I used Polycrylic because the wraps were darker than the blank by a few shades followed by several coats of Spar.
I got away with it however with light colors on dark blanks it's Lacquer or nothing.

Below are some shots of the Clave rod with only the Polycrylic applied before spar.
Take a good look first notice how much darker the thread is after the Polycrylic was applied in comparison to the original thread color before.Polcrylic is not a true color preserver as you can clearly see.
Next look at the guide feet,see the dark areas,that's where we have nonuniform penetration creating darker areas.
The rod has turned out Okay but not what I consider my best work,Lacquer would have kept the color true and the darker areas would not be present.
Polycrylic is okay for what it is but don't confuse it with actual C.P. I actually like Polycrylic but more as a finish
rather than a C.P.

With this rod I wanted the thread slightly darker than the original color so that was why I opted for Polycrylic.

I can't emphasize enough the role thread tension plays on Color Preserver Uniformity.
Tight Lines And Proper Tension Loops
Andy M ;)

Post 08 Sep 2015, 13:13 • #19 
Sport
I have not built a rod since Dale Clemmens was a boy. However, I don't recall having trouble with CP which I always used. Maybe Dale made good stuff!

Post 08 Sep 2015, 16:11 • #20 
Master Guide
Englander:

If you get blotchiness with CP BEFORE coating with varnish of epoxy, it is because of tiny gaps in the windings. This will let the color of the blank show through and to the eye the wrap appears blotchy. It is especially a problem with light thread on a dark blank, such as what you have here. As you wrap, you should be packing the thread with your fingernails every 6 turns or so (be sure to wash your hands) and burnish when finish.

One you've got that problem solved, you will have to worry about getting blotchiness when you apply the varnish or epoxy. My opinion is that if you have applied several coats of CP, the finish seeps in through the tunnels formed by the guide foot on the interior end. So fill those tunnels!

--Rich

Post 09 Sep 2015, 07:04 • #21 
Master Guide
I'm with Andy on this one. I've gone to using lacquer as a CP. two coats. first coat thinned then second full strength. Yes it does darken ever so slightly but less than some of the modern water based ones. Gudebrod many moons ago used to make a great CP. the stuff would stink but two coats and you were done. they reformulated it right before they closed and the new stuff was Kaka. For special occasions I have several unopend bottles of lacquer right from the Heddon factory. they only come out when I'm redoing a classic Heddon cane rod. yes you may lose a few brain cells opening the stuf but the color match is perfect with it.

Post 09 Sep 2015, 10:58 • #22 
Guide
Hi Guy's

Thanks guys and Andy beautiful work very lovely tones indeed when you say "Lacquer" could you be more specific ?

Had a quick "google" on UK DIY stores and seems to be all sort of types ????

Stephen

Post 09 Sep 2015, 11:23 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
You want clear Lacquer the type used for automotive use is better as it's more pliable,thinned 50/50% with Lacquer thinner.
Some Fly Tying Head Cements are Lacquer cut 50% with thinner as well however not all brand work alike.
The best thing is for you to ask around in your neck of the woods.
[url]Lacquer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacquer[[/url]
Tight Lines And Lacquered Whippings Loops
Andy M

Post 09 Sep 2015, 13:27 • #24 
Master Guide
Andy is right. The brushing lacquers meant for woodwork that are available now have an amber tint in them that is meant to "warm" the look on wood. It will darken the thread substantially. Not as much as varnish and it can be appealing but if you want to lock the color you won't get it. You want "water clear" to hold the color. When I use lacquer on restorations, I use Aerogloss clear which is used for model airplanes, three coats cut 20% (4:1). I also use it to coat blued hardware -- double duty!

--Rich

Post 20 Dec 2022, 04:53 • #25 
Master Guide
What I have found will help is burnishing. I don’t use CP much but the issue of irregular striations (as is see with most photos on this site - not splotches) is seemingly where the thread is tightly wound or bunched up or just uneven wrapping and lack of or irregular burnishing.

I’ve dealt with my problems and came up with a nasty issue on 4 sets of wraps. Figured it was that I switched to new CP but the issue came up after rewrapping. After analyzing and crossing my fingers, I wrapped carefully and then thoroughly burnished. The issue mostly went away. If you looked hard enough, slight irregularities could be seen. Working on one with some very slight irregularities. Sheesh. I can only do what I can do and learn when and how I can.

Just my two cents.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply