It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:58

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Mar 2014, 19:33 • #1 
Guide
I watched this video that Cameron posted on the Fiberglass Manifesto and noticed that Burkheimer uses some sort of pencil to inscribe their rods. I found that very interesting as I've never seen pencil mentioned in any books or the plethora of posts online, just various inks or paints.

Anyone know what type of pencil they are using in the video?

http://vimeo.com/89153666

Post 27 Mar 2014, 19:46 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
It looks like a china marker or an artists pastel pencil.

Post 27 Mar 2014, 21:40 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Most likely it an artist quality pastel pencil. I use and like this technique my self over a marker or dip pen as it is easier to control since seems like it bites better and doesn't slide all over the place. When using this style I very very light sand with a super fine sand paper to further help with control and bite. Just be sure use a light touch so you doesn't smash the tip. Of course when done hit it with a few coats of your favorite varnish.

I like the pencils from Conté á Paris, they're high quality come in tons of cool colors and are a good compromise between being hard enough with out being brittle and not to soft so it can hold a point and not get smushed.

Post 27 Mar 2014, 22:22 • #4 
Guide
That's good to know. The pastel pencils I remember from high school art class were brittle and didn't seem like they would do well on a hard, smooth surface, so I didn't think they would work.

Post 27 Mar 2014, 22:43 • #5 
Guide
Great info thanks for sharing it cheers Mick

Post 06 Apr 2014, 11:53 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Cool!

Post 06 Apr 2014, 12:02 • #7 
Guide
Hey GE,

I purchased some of these in the pastels, but they seem to brush off and smudge? Maybe I chose the wrong models, or didn't have a sharp point. I noticed there were several choices.

Can you let us know which ones work the best? Even with this issue, I really like the possibilities. Much better control than with the calligraphy pen.

Thanks!

Post 10 Apr 2014, 23:20 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Burkheimer puts out some great videos and I have cast some of his Graphite DAL and loved them. I noticed that too and was drooling, I hate writing with Pens on the blanks

Post 11 Apr 2014, 09:21 • #9 
Guide
This idea is intriguing. My wife is a graphic artist and she had hundreds of colored pencils of several different brands. I lightly sanded an old busted-up blank and tried a bunch of them out. There is great variation in "stickability" and line density among brands and among colors within a brand. Of the brands she had, Conte and Prismacolor (soft) seemed best. Silver, gold, and some non-PC color named "light flesh" (Prisamcolor) seemed the most dense and "sticky." Most colors, like almost all the yellows, seemed too slick and did not work well. Seems like you've got to fiddle around quite a bit to find the best. But, when the right color is found, I really preferred them to pens. When covered with a layer of finish, the signature looks pretty cool.

Post 11 Apr 2014, 10:25 • #10 
Administrator
Craig S wrote:
When covered with a layer of finish, the signature looks pretty cool.

If possible, could you post some photos?

Tom

Post 11 Apr 2014, 12:03 • #11 
Guide
I tossed that scrap out last night, but I'll see if I can recover it from the trash; if not, I'll see about doing another one.

Post 20 Aug 2021, 07:21 • #12 
Guide
Hi Craig, I too am wondering about the tests you did with signing pencil! Thanks,

New Topic Add Reply