It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:55

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Oct 2013, 12:27 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
My ultimate fl 683 challenge started several months ago.
As some know when Steve Jenkins offered the bulk of his remaining plg blanks for sale I purchased them.
Due to the drama that enveloped surrounding these blanks unfortunately Steve was stuck holding the bag as they say.
From my perspective I looked at the blanks as a starting point a canvas from where I could basically possibly create some very special custom made fiberglass fly rods.
Hence my challenge.
My starting point was with the plg 7'3" 4 weight blank to see where this blank could be refined.
Before long after some initial trimming, ferrule adjustments, etc, etc I realized the blanks could be with some hand work made into a very nice 6'8" small stream rod.

Many rod makers challenge themselves everyday there's nothing new about that I suppose.
Some rod makers are more fortunate than others in terms of the resources they have available to them be that financial or otherwise, some "most" such as myself are limited to working within very tight budgets, budgets that will not allow us for example to have rod blanks of our own design manufactured.

This situation can be extremely frustrating especially for those of us whom have volumes of taper specifications and piles of mocked up prototypes.

Then we read forum topics that basically relegate anyone whom doesn't roll there own blanks to the level of an assembler or rod wrapper, those opinions are just astonishing, if the general consensus within the fiberglass fly fishing community is a fact that to be considered a "rod maker" or "rod designer" you must have the capability to roll your own blanks by your own hands then we are all in trouble in my opinion.

Just because someone has the space, tools, equipment, finances, etc to produce their own fiberglass blanks does not necessarily make them master rod makers or rod designers.

Please note my comments are not intended to insult anyone it's just something that needed to be said.
I'm not ranting trust me I'm not alone in my opinion I'm just standing up for a good portion of my peers, custom rod makers and fellow rod smiths!

Lets face it we have all occasionally seen and cast some real dogs from people, company's, etc with vast resources, whom have produced and marketed rods that lets just say aren't exactly remarkable, marketable yes remarkable no.

On the flip side historically really remarkable rods have been made by some "custom rod makers" and rod tinkers who never rolled a fiberglass or graphite blank, people whom worked with off the shelf rod blanks, that through there experiences and feel for what makes a fishing rod ultimately perform have created amazing fishing rods, fishing rods that don't reassemble the original design or "feel" in any other way other than maybe the blank color.

Okay now we must ask how do they do that? first off it's lots of hard work that much I can tell you!
There are several ways to improve, alter, refine, fine tune and overall enhance a rod blanks action or feel.
Trimming, ferrule placement and design, utilizing sections from different blanks, addition of stents paying attention to size and placement of them,"dressing" sanding the blank to reduce wall thickness, guide placement, addition of dampening agents such as structural foam, weight distribution re balance, incorporating different materials such as a graphite section or a fiberglass section or sections on say a 3 or 4 piece rod for some examples, there are more many more, the only limit is the "custom rod makers" imagination.

Now I'm not saying that these methods are as good or better than making changes in the blank design, mandrel or lay up!
That's the ideal situation naturally and possibly much less work in some respects?
What my point is that we should keep an open mind.
We shouldn't dismiss a custom rod makers accomplishments just because the rod maker is only producing small quantities by hand of a given model for example.

Here's something else to consider when does a rod line make the transition from custom made to factory made? wheres the line between bench made or shop made and production made or manufactured?

I'm sure you get the point okay I'll get back to my ultimate 683 challenge.

As I mentioned 6'8" was decided after lots of trial and error lots of changes were made.
Then the next challenge was to reduce the line weight from a 4 to a 3.
Also considered was the number of sections with every one trending toward the erector set rods as I call them.
Maybe a switcher a rod with different pieces combined to make up into several different lengths and weights.
What happens if I take some sections from the 7'3" 4 weight and mix them with sections of the 7'6" 5 weight.
Just to give you an idea of some of the creative process that was going on.

Now one of the things that made these blanks desirable in the first place is that through my previous experiences with the river moss green blanks, I knew that particularly the butt section had large wall thicknesses.
Why would that be desirable? because it gives you something to work with in terms of dressing
The blank to remove material to fine tune the flex profile.

The process continued I wont bore you with any more of the trials now.
The first couple of prototypes were nice but not remarkable.
As with most projects of this type they take up lots of time so at this point I moved on to other more lucrative pursuits, "building rods" for folks to take fishing "repairing some salty dogs", "restoring" a few bamboo rods and such.

A few weeks passed I picked up the prototypes now and then I cast them with some different lines, the next month I ask some other folks to play with them take them fishing and tell me what they think.
You know some field testing and feedback, I actually brought one to the glass clave but I never took it out of the tube.
Honestly I was concerned that it either wasn't remarkable enough or someone would insist on taking it home with them
Truly I wasn't satisfied with the feel!

About 3 weeks ago the phone rings it's a new person someone I never heard of or met.
The fellow lives here in connecticut and often reads the fiberglass fly rod forum although he's not a registered member.
He's got a problem it seems while roll casting his vince Cummings ultimate 1 6' 8" 2 pc #3 weight fiberglass fly rod the unthinkable happened, yep you guessed it "the rod snapped".
I'm sure you can all feel his pain I sure did.
Well after a brief description of the condition of the rod we made arrangements for the fellow whom we will call j. O. To drop by with the rod.

You know your obsessed with fiberglass rods when you see a classic rod like this one broken and it brings a tear to your eye.

Upon my initial assessment it was apparent that the rod naturally could be repaired with an internal repair sleeve, it was also noted that most of the original varnish clear coat on the shafts was compromised and flaking off, this may have been the root of the problem it's hard to say for sure? the rod was taken in for repair.
That night I was hanging around late in the shop doing a little straightening out, checking on some bamboo sections in the drying cabinet, I picked up the little Cummings rod checking out the scripts to see how best to protect them during the clear coat restoration.
At that point I read the custom made for j*** co***ta 1976.
I almost fell out of my chair.
Here's why.

Quote:
hello j. O.
I'm out of the shop until monday, however I realized something very ironic last night about your rod, I was looking at how I was going to protect the scripts on your rod in preparation for removing the flaking clear coat.
When I read the "custom made for j*** co***ta 1976 " I almost fell out of my chair.

J*** co***ta was one of my fathers fishing buddies , they along with 9 other guys founded the battenkill fly fishers association back in 72.

I remember when j*** co***ta first got this rod him bringing it to camp and showing it off to all the guys.
He let everyone cast the little jewel, I remember the rod introduction like it was yesterday. In those days 3 weight lines were specialty lines that not every fly shop carried. I remember he had an Orvis dt 3 weight and a early Orvis battenkill lightweight reel made for Orvis by young that he had purchased the day before at the Orvis store for his new ultimate 1.

Also remember j*** co***ta first fish that afternoon it was a 6" battenkill brown he caught on a turkey wing caddis in the run by the camp.
Some of the guys were busting his balls basically the little rods only for catching little trout or something like that.
J*** co***ta was a little guy he was short maybe 5'5" or so with tiny hands, they were busting balls on him about little rods for little people that night at the camp fire.
It was all in fun but I remember j*** co***ta getting pissed off.

J*** co***ta was and exceptional fly fisherman and fly tier I remember his midges were deadly!

Tight lines and small rods and small world loops.
Andy M

This is getting pretty long and there's allot more to come, this looks like a good place so I'll sign off for now and give you folks some time to consider some of my ramblings.

Tight lines and ultimate challenge loops
Andy M

Post 23 Oct 2013, 12:47 • #2 
Master Guide
The Glass Master wrote:
Just Because Someone Has The Space,Tools,Equipment,Finances,Etc To Produce Their Own Fiberglass Blanks Does Not Necessarily Make Them Master Rod Makers Or Rod Designers.

M

I agree with what you say about what rod builders can do to alter a blanks action but this quote interest me. Out of the people who roll their own Glass blanks, Steffen, McFarland, Burkheimer, Reddington, T&T, Scott & Lamiglas which one would you consider to not be a master rod designer? Not trying to argue but they all seem to have their loyal fans.

Post 23 Oct 2013, 13:04 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
That's not what this thread is about!
It's not my place to judge anyone!
Tight lines and custom made loops
Andy M

Post 23 Oct 2013, 15:54 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I remember getting involved in a forum discussion, that was lost in the Great Conversion, with Dave Lewis about a rod manufacturer that would roll custom blanks for various builders, but when all was said and done, except for the color and a couple of "tweeks," they were basically the same rod that came off the shelf. Yet each builder successfully made their own distinctive variations and had their own following.

That's what I like about this forum, when it comes to building glass rods, it is not a competition, it is a collaboration as everyone freely shares their ideas.

Post 23 Oct 2013, 16:26 • #5 
Administrator
The Glass Master wrote:
The Fellow Lives Here In Connecticut And Often Reads The Fiberglass Fly Rod Forum Although He's Not A Registered Member.

GACK! How can that be? Please insist that he register so he can enjoy the privileges of forum membership!

I'm looking forward to the next post about this project ...

Tom

Post 23 Oct 2013, 16:54 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
So, are you going to be offering a sub 7 foot 3 wt here soon?

Post 23 Oct 2013, 18:57 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks guys nice to see all you fellas on board!

Please just to be absolutely clear on this my comments are general comments, please understand that I in no way intend to insult anyone in any way, be that directly indirectly or by any other means whatsoever! please don't read anything into this topic that's not there!
This topic is not about bashing anyone or creating any ill will or hard feelings between any one
Either! if that's the kind of interaction you seek feel free to start your own topic elsewhere thank you very much!
I have the deepest respect for the people, companies, entities, etc that manufacture the fiberglass blanks and other materials we rely on to make fiberglass fly fishing rods period!

Now where did I leave off
J. O. Sent me a email this afternoon he signed up yesterday so it's official he's now a registered member.
He's been taking some pictures of his little Cummings rod and has plans to share them with us.
I'll share my few photo's of the repair and wait for j. O. To share his pictures of his little jewel.
Tight lines and that's all for now loops
Andy M

Post 23 Oct 2013, 19:15 • #8 
Guide
This has the beginnings of an epic thread. I am looking forward to the next chapter in the story.

Post 23 Oct 2013, 20:19 • #9 
Master Guide
mclabrook wrote:
This has the beginnings of an epic thread. I am looking forward to the next chapter in the story.

What he said ... :)

Post 23 Oct 2013, 20:27 • #10 
Master Guide
... ( '' )

Post 23 Oct 2013, 22:56 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
J.O. you there? the suspense is killing me!

Post 24 Oct 2013, 01:01 • #12 
Master Guide
The Glass Master wrote:
Hello
That's Not What This Thread Is About!
It's Not My Place To Judge Anyone!
Tight Lines And Custom Made Loops
Andy M

That's great to hear. I look forward to seeing the magic you perform on the PLG blanks. Being somewhat of an adhesive geek I noticed your using polyester resin w/ a MEKP hardener for the repair. Cool stuff.

Baker

Post 24 Oct 2013, 03:54 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm definitely taking notes on this one.

-Jess

Post 24 Oct 2013, 08:12 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Please be patient I'm sure our new member will chime in when he's comfortable.

I don't think this thread is going to be all that epic because I'm really not going to share all that much.
When I undertook my project I had no intention to share any of it, only to quietly work on a project that interested me, hopefully if I'd get some positive results at some point I could offer some special rods from the fruit of my labor.

In all fairness these plg blanks are nice blanks to start with they certainly do build out into very capable fishing tools.
Anyone that has one of the Jenkins series of these rods can certainly attest to that many people have, the limited edition of the 7'6" rods that I put up on these blanks have been well received.
They certainly are allot of rod for very little out of pocket.
I wouldn't say they are dogs however this might apply.

Quote:
"rods that lets just say aren't exactly remarkable, marketable yes remarkable no. "

Hence my goal to work from the core of these blanks, to see if I could work with them with the idea that they possibly had the potential to become something more remarkable if you will.

Getting back to the vince Cummings 6'8" 3 wt ultimate 1, when this rod arrived at the shop naturally the first priority was to get this little rod back out on the water.
I explained to j. O. That some of the original magic as baker puts it may be lost in the repair.
We looked over the rod I explained that I'd need to remove the wood reel seat butt cap during the process, I couldn't be certain I may need to replace a cork ring or two on the reel seat insert, I couldn't say for sure it all depended on how much trouble I encountered.
The process of inserting a repair sleeve, how I would use the thinnest material I could find for the sleeve, how I might have to dress and hand fit a sleeve depending on what I found in my stock of repair bits and pieces.
We talked about how shabby the original varnish clear coat looked the general condition of the little magic wand.
We agreed on a reasonable action plan for the rods resurrection.

That was on a thursday I gave myself a little extra lead time and promised the rod back on the water in two weeks.
The next day I just couldn't stop focusing on the rod so every time I had a free moment from the other things I was working on I kept levitating to the u1.
There was just something about the rod that kept drawing me back to it.

It wasn't until friday night that I actually realized who the rod originally belonged to, I showed the rod to my dad, when he read his old friends name on the rod it all came back to him about when we had first been introduced to the rod 35 some odd years earlier.
Naturally dad asked about his friend and wanted to know when j*** co***ta had been around.
How the rod came to be in for repairs etc.
I explained that I had no information about j*** co***ta's whereabouts how the fellow j. O. Had no connection with j*** co***ta. How j. O. Purchased the rod used at classic and custom fly shop several years back.

The rod spurred a great exchange dad shared a bunch of his fishing memories about fishing with
j*** co***ta. He told me how much he always loved that little u1 and how he tried to find a rod that would mimic the rod.
How back in the day after going through several small stream rods his little Phillipson fly fox and the little 7' river rat I made him were the only rods that ever came close.

When I turned in for the night I was still thinking about the little rod and fell asleep thinking about it.
When I woke in the morning the first thing I did was pick up the rod again, now I'm thinking
I gotta replicate this rod.
Dad and I met for our morning coffee ritual usually saturday morning I'm off at 5 am to the flea market instead I was home.
So dads first question was what no flea market today? nope I had trouble falling asleep last night and didn't wake up, besides it looks like rain.
Dad says I been thinking about j*** co***ta's rod any chance you could duplicate that rod?
I burst out laughing dad asked what's so funny? great minds think alike
Hence the ultimate challenge!

Tight lines and commissioned by mr manchester sr loops
Andy M

Post 24 Oct 2013, 09:01 • #15 
Guide
Andy - Great stuff, as usual.

Josh

Post 24 Oct 2013, 15:45 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
So Andy, should I hold off building my Jenkins 734 until you refine the tuning? Now after I write that I don't think I will. #4 is a light as I fish. I'll build it as is.
Knowing some of the personal history of that classic rod must a make it a wonderful experience to get to resurrect it from the sad broken rod bin.
RFMcD

Post 24 Oct 2013, 16:27 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Rat man I thought you weren't happy to have another blank to fiddle with because you were trying to get finished making rods :smokin?
Well if all I accomplish is to sway you back to the bench than this project certainly has paid off!
The refinements are finished and well documented, provided your not afraid of a little fiberglass dust you should get ready to rock and roll to the u1 beat. ;)

Just got finished trimming another blank and setting the featherlight 15/64 ferrule, next is taking and documenting the existing factory incremental o. D. Measurements.
I'll get the butt set up in the "spin doctor" tonight and start making some fines in the morning.
Nothing like the smell of dressed off fiberglass in the morning.
If I'm lucky I'll have another one spun up before coffee break around 7am.

Well I'm jumping ahead of the progression so I'll shut up for now.

Are you sure you ain't got room in your quiver for a 6'8" 3 weight? :evil

Tight lines and looks like I hooked one loops ;) :lol
Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 26 Oct 2013, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post 25 Oct 2013, 13:03 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Hello again
time for the next facet of the process now that everyone understands how I got myself into this project.
Spoke to j. O. Again yesterday it seems he's having some minor camera issues tried my best to help,now that's something bet you thought you would never hear from me, for those of you new folks took a beating for years because my photography skills were so piss poor, they ain't all that great now still have no photo shop skills but at least my rods still look better in hand than my pictures of them
The pictures of the Cummings rod posted are the only ones I took, they were taken just to show j. O. The rod during the repair process.

I'll finish up on the Cummings repair now.
The wood butt cap came off very easy just cut with a razor blade between the wood end and the first cork ring end down to the blank.
Grabbed the wood butt cap and with a little turning twisting action it came right off very clean.
That was great as my luck eliminated the need for any cork work.
Next blew out and then swabbed out the i. D. Of blank with some denatured alcohol.
I use a metal coat hanger with a cotton swap.

This is an important step in fitting these types of internal repair sleeve repair sections, first you need clean surfaces naturally to achieve the proper fit secondly and equally important it's also crucial to assure a lasting bond of the epoxy.

Next measured the i. D. And o. D. Then went rummaging trough my piles of fiberglass repair materials that mostly consists of old fishing rods and bit and pieces.
Couldn't really find the right piece, found some pieces that could work but nothing that felt right.

That brought me to my rejected blank inventory where I found an excellent donor a 7'6" 1 piece 4 weight lamiglas blank that's been hanging around for years literally that had a very pronounced compound set in the upper end.

The taper and minimal wall thickness was just perfect, after some measurements, cutting, some dressing, more measurements, more dressing, a proper dry fit leaving enough room to account for
Enough epoxy to assure a lasting bond, the repair sleeve measured around 6" in length allowing 3" either side of the break for insurance.

First epoxied the sleeve into the butt section. When it was placed swabbed out the epoxy residue from the lower end that always winds up in places you don't need it or want it
I use the 12 hour stuff it gives you time to clean things up and assures a better bond for these type repairs I think?

The next morning applied the epoxy to the exposed portion of the sleeve and epoxied the two sections together.
After everything set up used my trusted boat yard fiberglass resin just to fill a couple of very small voids in the blank at the repair junction where when the rod broke some material was lost.

After the resin set up spun the rod on my rod lathe to dress down the fiberglass resin to level everything off.

From that point moved on to the next issue of the flaking clear coat varnish and tarnished ferrules.
Used scotch bright and just went over the blank and removed the varnish it was falling off so it was really not that bad, used my fingernail on the stubborn spots it was just very time consuming close hand work, actually missed two spots between the guide wraps on the butt section.
The script areas were fine apparently vince put more coats over the scripts or used better varnish?
Same was true of the thread work no problem there with the exception of some old thread tags that I left alone, think they add character apparently vince thought so as well.

Got out the blue magic and polished up the n/s ferrule made sure everything was clean and fitting properly.

Next taped up the ferrules to mask them off and performed my dip process to clear coat the rod blank and thread work, after the clear coat dried the rod looked really super.
Next I did a hide the sin repair wrap with matching gudebrod size a brown thread over the break
About a 1/2" either side.
Applied several coats of varnish to the wrap until it matched the original thread works look.
Then it was back into the dip tube for another coat of clear just for insurance.

After everything was all dry and the rod was ready for delivery finally was able to get it out on the pond and cast the little Cummings ultimate 1.
The rod cast felt and looked great no clicking everything was sound tight and ready to go fishing!
The next day j. O. Came by and picked it up.
Remember this was the first time j. O. Had me do any work for him.

I'll share the notes j. O. Sent me a few days later.

Quote:
"hi andy,

just to let you know the rod fishes great. I went yesterday to the mill river in fairfield and caught 10 wild browns in the 9" to 12" range. Thank you for the great job repairing the rod.

Thanks,"
j. O.

Quote:
b]"hi andy,

great post. Rods are not like art they are art and the beauty is in the eye of the beholder or in this case the rod holder. After fishing with my vince Cummings 6' 8" 3wt and then using my fenwick ff755 s-glass or my 705 it feels as if I have a club in my hand that was made by a neanderthal. I'm sure most would agree including me that these fenwicks were some of the best rods around in the late 70's and early 80's. Andy I joined the forum yesterday and hope to put my two cents in here and there. I will be posting pictures of the Cummings rod soon. The camera I have stinks and the pictures I took so far are terrible.

thanks,"
j. O.
[/b]

Think that pretty much sums it up, sounds like j. O. Is back into some fish with his little ultimate 1, that's really what it's all about, as long as he's smiling makes me smile

Tight lines and everybody's happy loops
Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 26 Oct 2013, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Oct 2013, 13:14 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Posted pictures of the ultimate 1 fl 683 vince Cummings classic retro glass replica over in the rod picture forum today for you to see the end result.
I'm away from the bench until next week I'll post the progression of the project in steps as time permits.
I'll give you a little visual sneak peak now as a prelude.
Tight lines and retro classic loops
Andy M
Dressed to kill.
Two earlier prototypes.
Ready to spin

Post 27 Oct 2013, 09:56 • #20 
Here are some pics of the Vince Cummings 3wt. I hope the pictures load properly.
Many thanks to Andy M. for the superior repair job.

Post 27 Oct 2013, 11:00 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Quote:
here are some pics of the vince Cummings 3wt. I hope the pictures load properly. Many thanks to andy m. For the superior repair job.

Welcome to Fiberglass Fly Rodders I saw your introduction post last night, you have a nice group
Of fiberglass rods listed in your arsenal!
E30fan is the fellow I have been referring to as j. O. As I'm sure everyone has already realized.
Please be sure to make him feel comfortable by joining me in a very warm ffr welcome!

Nice job on the pictures they look amazing considering it was your first attempt at rod pictures and posting pictures on a forum!

Thank you very much for posting them I know it was a time consuming learning process!

Tight lines and welcome e30fan loops
Andy M

Post 27 Oct 2013, 11:24 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
one cool rod! Welcome to the forum! I've been posting pics for years and none of mine look as good as yours; course i'm shooting "daisy Mae" and youre photographing Sophia loren!-p-

Post 30 Oct 2013, 11:59 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I'm going to start the blank transformation process with a disclaimer.
Whenever we get involved altering a fiberglass rod blank from it's manufactured state into a reworked or in this case a trimmed and re-tapered state safety precautions must be followed.
I'm going to take you through the process that works for me, a process that I have developed entirely on my own with no information or help from anyone.
The process of sanding "dressing" a hollow vessel or shaft is not something you should take on if you don't have the proper tools, safety precautions in place, the ability to take accurate measurements, the patience for documenting the measurements, a basic understanding how the flex profile of a rod blank works, maybe most importantly a feel for the work and at least a minimal level of confidence.
i will not be held responsible for anyone's safety, the destruction of any materials, etc.
Anyone that chooses to follow the methods I describe do so entirely at there own risk!

The subject of customizing the action, flex profile, feel and performance of fiberglass rod blanks is something of mystery, it's a topic that is often dismissed because most don't understand the concept, I have read lots of nonsense from people whom sound like they understand the process.
however from the perspective of someone that has put in the time dressing blanks a few things become clear.

Most have never gone past removing paint. Clear coat, or flash.
Flash is the material "ridges" left behind on a raw blank before the dressing process "unsanded finish".

Many are afraid rightfully so that they will not be able to significantly alter a given blank with a positive result, not every blank is a good choice or candidate for refinement.

Many are not willing to take the risk of rendering an expensive rod blank worthless through a process they are not comfortable with or inexperienced with, the learning curve can be costly.

Safety concerns with fiberglass shards, dust, fiberglass fines and particles etc, deter people from
Dressing rod blanks. Safety first!

A general lack of information gives the process a less than desirable appeal, the idea that nobody openly discusses dressing so it must be impossible for the average person.

Then we have the opposing opinions of sanded blanks verses unsanded blanks that's a good argument for another topic, I'm not opening that can of worms I'll let the blank manufactures argue those points, this topic is not about the pro's and cons of dressing blanks.

For this exercise we will focus on the process of trimming and dressing a specific rod blank to
Alter and improve the original characteristic's period.

Then we have the nay sayers, monday morning quarterbacks, etc.
I'll just leave it at that!
"flies in the ointment"

As many of us particularly those of you whom plan to try your hand at blank refinement knows.
Historically many of the most respected fiberglass rod makers either worked from off the shelf or custom rolled blanks, blanks that they fine tuned/refined to a desired action or feel by hand dressing the raw blanks.

As rodsmiths we don't become enlightened overnight it's a slow process for most, we generally start off either re wrapping a few guides or a rod or 2, we develop first and interest, then from there we possibly build a few rods for our own use, next or children friends etc.
For some it stays just a hobby a pleasureful pastime for cold winter nights, others decide to take their rod crafting to more challenging levels, they continue to challenge themselves over time to the point that they may run out of challenges, the work can at that point become a day to day routine, dare I say boring, many when they reach this point start looking for something else to challenge them, I know allot of people that picked up bamboo rod blank making not because they had any great love for the rods just because it was a new challenge.

It's funny recently we seem to have more and more bamboo guys turning to fiberglass, some are just following the trend, however I was very optimistic when I heard one of them was actually finishing out fiberglass blanks, fine tuning the rod blanks through dressing then painting them with his own special painting or staining process.

When I saw the price point of his finished rods I was equally impressed, knowing how much time the hand work, all the detail that goes into a hand dressed & custom finished blank, in comparison to a blank built out directly from the factory, he is giving his time away, as many of us do to remain competitive.

I was not overly surprised however when people were gripping about his price point, some people just don't get it and maybe never will. It was heart breaking for me to see how some people obviously had little or no appreciation of what the man was offering for actually a very reasonable sum.
I imagine anyone that casts one or is fortunate enough to own one of these " custom made hand tuned rods" the man is offering isn't griping about the cost!

That's it for this installment next will be what to look for when choosing a blank for refinement.
I'll start off with how and where these plg were trimmed in preparation for re tapering and the ferrule placement.
I'll post the pictures now and follow with more text after you have had a chance to view them.
As I am sure you all waited long enough for someone to finally share their process of dressing fiberglas blanks.

gotta wonder if after I post this how many other people will actually share there own trade secrets
Then you gotta wonder how many people that pick up my process will remember to give me the credit for sharing it, when they are bragging about their amazing custom made rods.
Then you gotta wonder how many people are going to hate me for letting the cat out of the bag as they say
I'm sharing my process now because some things are better shared than taken to the grave, not that I got any impending date with my higher powers, however better sooner than never!

Tight lines and custom made loops
Andy M
40" measurement from tip.
40" measurement from ferrule butt.
Measurement of solid aluminum ferrule spigot male.
Establishing female ferrule location.
Double checking measurements.
Marking the blank.
Double checking ferrule location.
Marking the tip for cut.
Cutting the butt section.
Squaring the tip cut.
Factory male ferrule plug.
Butt squared at ferrule.
Male ferrule solid fiberglass reinforcement sleeve.
Everything trimmed and ready for assembly.
Epoxy.
Gluing the support sleeve in place.
The sleeve in place.
Leaving room for male ferrule epoxy bond.
Tip o. D. At ferrule.
Male ferrule i. D.
Double checking o. D.
Tip measurement after turning.
Dry fit ready to set.
Re checking and marking female ferrule location butt.
Building up o. D. With thread for interference fit.
Dry fit.
Female ferrule ready to be epoxied in place.
Female ferrule being placed.

Last edited by The Glass Master on 01 Nov 2013, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.

Post 30 Oct 2013, 16:18 • #24 
Guide
I appreciate that you are sharing the process of dressing blanks. It is not something that I intend to undertake at this point but I like knowing more about the materials I fish with and all the amazing hard work that goes into building a custom rod.

Cheers!

Post 30 Oct 2013, 16:44 • #25 
Master Guide
Keep the higher powers waiting a while yet Andy!
I've sanded a sturdy and cheap tadpole blank into an aceptable 3wt by trial and (happily no) error, but have always been curious about the fuller set of techniques. Especially after my not so successful second effort, the '666' - my 6'6" 6wt that used to be a noodly 8'3#4 that I have a devil of a job casting.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply