It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:32

New Topic Add Reply
Restoration Help
Post 19 Mar 2013, 08:22 • #1 
Sport
Hey everyone. Im new here as you can tell and I'm new to glass as well. Ive been guiding full time for about ten years now and part time for even longer and I always refused to use glass because of the action ... until this one day. I was going on a trip with clients to a brook trout stream and broke a 2WT on the way out the door. I called a guide friend of mine on the Scott pro staff to borrow a rod and when I showed up they gave me a Scott F2. I didn't have a choice so I took it and by about halfway through the instructional phase of the trip I was sold and converted forever.
And thats my spiel. All that being said I have an appreciation for old fine things and although Ive built plenty of rods I've never done glass and Ive never done a restoration. I want to restore a couple of old glass rods but I don't know where to begin especially as far as the stripping goes. I don't want to damage the rods taking off the epoxy or wraps. What is the best way to remove the epoxy, finish, reel seat, cork, etc. I know out Citrus Strip and by looking through other posts here, every time this question is asked thats the response they get. Im looking for a little more detailed response or a link to a good video or pictorial ... anything. I know there are some out there but since many of you know what you're doing I thought it best to ask here so I don't take bad advice somewhere else. You guys are all great and I'm really enjoying the time I spend browsing. Thank you!

Re: Restoration Help
Post 19 Mar 2013, 11:36 • #2 
Guide
I'm not sure you will find everything you need in one tidy place but here is a few suggestions:

Do a search on this site with restoration and refurbishment as your keywords. This should bring up a number of threads with pictures and explanations on various steps in the process. Andy and others have done a remarkable job of documenting the step by step process in a number of restorations so you'll find about 90% of what you seek by doing this.

You'll have specific questions on certain steps. Be patient and ask them here. One of us will have solved the problem you face and offer a couple different solutions. Not every rod is the same when it comes to restoration.

There is a difference between removing the old finish from the wraps and stripping the original finish off the blank, in most cases. If the blank finish is still good but you want to replace the guides and wraps, this is a pretty straightforward process. Cut the thread on the top of the guide foot (never on the blank) and start the unwrapping process. Once you get the thread started, it will unwrap with all the finish. Any finish that is left, you can apply a small amount of heat (3 sec or less from an alcohol lamp or heat gun) which softens the finish land you can pick it off with your thumb nail, or a plastic knife (like you use for picnics) Avoid using sharp metal objects when removing old finish.

That should get you started. Let us know when you have questions.

'Cator

(aka Terry's Custom Rods)

Post 20 Mar 2013, 01:52 • #3 
Sport
thanks for that buddy, it definitely gets me started. Im a little nervous with heat but I'm gonna give it a shot, I guess my main concern is with the real seat and cork though. I don't want to damage the blank taking them off. I know most guys cut the cork off I just wasn't sure if there was a better way. Im gonna dig throughout the archives some more.

Post 20 Mar 2013, 07:56 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
A couple questions. Have you done any rod building using new blank and components or are these restorations your first experience? Also, there is a difference between restoration and rebuilding. With restoration you're attempting to replicate the exact appearance of the original rod using original components, thread, etc. and it often takes a high degree of experience and skill to accomplish. Rebuilding just for the purpose of having a solid functional rod and using new replacement parts is much easier. So you need to decide which you want to do. It probably doesn't make a lot of sense to do a perfect restoration on a common, cheap factory rod. On the other hand, a more valuable collectible rod should be restored instead of just rebuilt. And the very rarest and most expensive vintage rods probably shouldn't be touched. Just my opinion.

Post 20 Mar 2013, 08:57 • #5 
Sport
Ive built plenty of rods but I'm as new as a high school freshman to fiberglass. I want to do a full restoration and my concerns are mainly involving the material because never having worked with glass I don't really know what the blank can take or can't take when I start working it over. I really don't want to damage a nice classic glass rod. I don't even have the rod yet but I have a general idea of what I'm looking for and I know it will more than likely be in rough shape. Thats why I was looking for a pictorial, because it will help me see the differences if any between stripping down a graphite and a glass rod.

Post 20 Mar 2013, 09:21 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I've used the citrus strip for years on fiberglass and never had an issue; put it on, wait 30 minutes and take it off. I use the oooo steel wool to remove it because the steel wool will also get some of the paint not yet dissolved by the citrus stuff. Afterwards I clean the blank good with alcohol followed by another cleaning with a warm, wet cloth. I hand rub true oil on the blank for the finish; take a dab, work it in and stretch it, take another dab, continue down the rod using the thumb and forefinger to rub the true oil until it starts rubbing back. I'm no expert but that's how I do it; I'm rebuilding, not restoring. I don't mess with valuable stuff; just ole glass rods that I buy off evilbay, or off here, usually for less than $50 bucks. For restoration, I doubt that I would ever use citrus strip because its gonna take everything down to the fiberglass and youre probably not gonna replicate the finish that you took off. -p-

Post 20 Mar 2013, 10:00 • #7 
Sport
thanks a lot P, that certainly explains one of the steps I've been concerned with very well. Out of curiosity, how do the blanks look after you strip them down. Do they look like good raw newer unfinished blanks or can you still see the age and blemishes in them?

Post 20 Mar 2013, 10:36 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Building a glass rod is just like building a graphite rod. If blank is painted you can remove the paint like P said above. You never know what will be underneath! Might be nice brown weave, or might be blemished all over.
Ketth

Post 20 Mar 2013, 14:40 • #9 
Guide
I think you are over thinking the differences between glass and graphite. Like Keith said, they are the same, a woven fabric impregnated with plastic. One uses glass fibers, one uses carbon fibers.
There are no differences between stripping a graphite and a glass rod. If you are just re-wrapping the rod, follow the instructions above. If you want to strip and refinish the blank, you use citri-strip. If the blank is painted, the citri-strip will take the paint off along with any clear coat over the paint, so you will need to match it and repaint.
Removing the grip is simple. The reel seats can be tough. Applying heat is often not enough, or will require so much heat that the blank underneath is damaged. Also putting an anodized reel seat directly in boiling water will cause its color to fade, so you will need to heat it in a plastic bag without melting the bag to the reel seat.
In many cases, old reel seats need to be cut off. It's not hard to do, but if you are truly restoring a rod you will need to find an identical one which may be difficult if not impossible. On all of the rods I've restored I've left the original reel seat in place for this reason.
I'd suggest you start a thread about each specific rod you want to restore. I'm sure you'll get excellent advice about how to proceed, but right now we can only give general advice because we're not sure exactly what you're trying to do.

Post 20 Mar 2013, 15:41 • #10 
Sport
Well judging by some of the pm's and emails I've gotten as a result of this post it seems everyone thinks I'm a 12 year old child who's never even seen a rod before. Some of you are extremely helpful and I can't thank you enough.
As far as the abuse a rod can take, specifically from any abrasive activity there are vast differences between fiberglass and graphite as witnessed by the hundreds of broken rods I've seen come through the fly shops I've worked in over the years.
As for not knowing exactly what I'm trying to do I'm not sure where the confusion comes in especially after my initial post with a query such as "I want to restore a couple of old glass rods but I don't know where to begin especially as far as the stripping goes. I don't want to damage the rods taking off the epoxy or wraps. What is the best way to remove the epoxy, finish, reel seat, cork, etc."
Again, thank you so much to everyone who has been extremely helpful without the desire to preach to me, I value the advice and am extremely glad I found the forum, for which I am grateful for the exuberant amount of information. Im just going to let this post die and I would appreciate if others would as well

Post 21 Mar 2013, 11:49 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
First of all, welcome to the forum.

This is a wonderful group of people with varying levels of experience and certainly willing to help. I have gotten quite a bit of help myself.

Part of the confusion, for me at least, is whether you plan on restoring or rebuilding the rod. Your questions suggest rebuilding but the use of the word restoring in your post makes giving tips a little more ambiguous in nature and could present the response as appearing basic.

The great thing about this board is the willingness members have in taking other along their build/rebuild/restore journey. Hopefully the PMs have been civil and I for one look forward to seeing your project.

Again, welcome to the forum.

New Topic Add Reply