It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:34

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 24 Jun 2013, 15:16 • #76 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I'm not saying I have amazingly best quality choice 7 buck a pop cork rings, I honestly think high end cork is a waste of money, like other people I know I feel the pits serve a purpose to help you keep a firm grip.
I just don't think my inability to get the sharper edges I seek is a cork problem but more of a finesses method I'm somehow missing.
Most people really like my cork work I've never had a complaint it's just that I want sharper edges.
Thank you for taking the time to help me I'm all ears.

On my bench now a mid 1800's leonard 9'6" 3/2 with tons of intermediate wraps, the rod came to me 6 weeks ago, I have been putting it off because the thread work is so tedious, the rod is getting a new replacement tip and male ferrule, the rod came from a customer whom dropped the rod off with another fellow 12 years ago and the guy never wrapped the rod so I guess my 6 weeks getting caught up with my schedule before I started in isn't too bad.
In reality I only put it off 4 days while I played with a xxx Phillipson.

Tight lines and china red silk wrapped loops
Andy M

Post 24 Jun 2013, 23:37 • #77 
Glass Fanatic
The Glass Master wrote:
I Just Don't Think My Inability To Get The Sharper Edges I Seek Is A Cork Problem But More Of A Finesses Method I'm Somehow Missing.

What are you using as a sanding block, or file? You really have to make sure not to touch the edges with the sandpaper or they will dull.

With that said, rubberized cork is much easier to turn to get crisp edges. It is so much firmer that you can really turn it, in fact I often have to really work to round out the crisp edges.

I am assuming that dense, flor grade cork would be better than some of the softer cork.

Carl

Post 27 Jun 2013, 22:41 • #78 
Guide
Just about to complete this refubishment project.

The original state of this rod was not really in bad shape. Just loose guides and cork handle , and some loose particles inside the rod.

All guides was removed. The cork grip came off as well.

Had the butt cap removed to clean and get all loose particles out from the rod.

Vintage style wrapping to stripping guide.

All guides rewrap

Later I am going to finish it off with a few thin layer of epoxy.
Don't need CP for this as I am using NCP thread.

Thanks for looking.

~f~

Post 28 Jun 2013, 12:22 • #79 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Nice job on that Orvis or is it a leonard?
That's some nice thread work it really lays down nice!
Tight line and super loops
Andy M

Post 30 Jun 2013, 20:19 • #80 
Guide
Thanks Andy.

Here's the photos after epoxy.

~f~

Post 30 Jun 2013, 23:14 • #81 
Glass Fanatic
I need to get pictures, but I just ferruled a 2-piece spg 720 and added a brass ferrule band (brass tubing).
I also Ferruled a 3-piece SPG 780 with carbon rod for the top spiggot and solid glass for the bottom ferrule.

I mounted an eva foam grip on the 720 (keeping costs down) and just glued up some cork for a new 7' 5wt s-glass I am working on.

My wife gave me an ultimatum to clean off the ping pong table, so I had to get some parts out of the rod building tub before putting it away :)

Post 01 Jul 2013, 05:15 • #82 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
The wrap style and color remind me of the cortland crowns the finish looks fantastic!
Looking forward to seeing those ferrules.

A few years back at one of my fishing club gatherings the wife of one of my rod building class students was letting me know how it was she was holding me responsible for her husband turning the dinning room into a rod shop for the last 4 months.
She was seriously giving me a hard time about it, she started with "oh your the one I have a bone to pick with you! "
Calmly and quietly with a big smile I answered "honey don't worry it's only temporary and besides it could be worse he could have turned your bedroom into a rod shop. "

She was speechless, I would have loved to been a fly on the wall on their ride home :evil

If I ever get around to writing a book I'll have to devote a chapter to fishing widows.

Tight lines and big smile loops
Andy M

Post 07 Jul 2013, 22:57 • #83 
Glass Fanatic
I have pictures of 3 of the 4 rods that I have on the bench. Actually, I have more in various stages, but these are the ones that are active.

The first one is graphite: (I will post the others separately)
Graphite 9' 3wt, I just wanted to build out a 9' 3wt.
Oh that macro photography is unforgiving.

And these two will have to be rewrapped. When I was repositioning them, the foot popped out from the wraps.
ImageImage

Post 07 Jul 2013, 23:15 • #84 
Master Guide
Micro guides? If you don't mind I'd like to hear your thoughts on how they cast on a fly rod. Thanks

Post 07 Jul 2013, 23:18 • #85 
Glass Fanatic
Two piece tadpole, spg720

This is going to be an inexpensive build with a cheap reelseat and an eva grip.Image

The trim ring is brass tubing.

The ferrule glue job is a bit messy. I used superglue. We will see how well it holds up.
Isn't the grip fancy :hat

Post 07 Jul 2013, 23:23 • #86 
Glass Fanatic
a f Baker wrote:
Micro guides? If you don't mind I'd like to hear your thoughts on how they cast on a fly rod. Thanks

These arn't micro yet. They are size 6 or 7. The tip section will have size 4 on it. Those are micro.

I have some of the size 4 and 5 alconites that I need to use up, and on a three weight they work well, but I don't see the need for going down that small. The Ceramic single foot guides are so smooth that the small diameter doesn't cost you anything in the way of friction, but it really doesn't buy you much. size 6 is already pretty light.

Carl

Post 07 Jul 2013, 23:30 • #87 
Glass Fanatic
3 piece Tadpole:

Two spiggots (white solid fiberglass for the bottom and carbon rod for the top)

The rod is from the hobby shop. I'll see how it works after the rod is finished.

Carl

Post 09 Jul 2013, 00:42 • #88 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Very nice looks like you are very busy!
That ping pong table looks naked :o.
Tight lines and very cool doings loops
Andy M

Post 09 Jul 2013, 06:59 • #89 
Glass Fanatic
very nice-p-

Post 21 Jul 2013, 15:30 • #90 
Guide
While this rod isn't glass, it's an interesting build. The picture is a feather inlay where the customer provided some feathers from his tying stash. He's a presentation tyer and wanted to show his personal touch. The blank is actually a center pin float blank that I measured to come in around a 6/7 wt for single handed line. Probably would handle a scandi line of around 200 grains.

'Cator
(Terry's Custom Rods)

Post 21 Jul 2013, 17:09 • #91 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Very nice touch!
Tight lines and feathered loops
Andy M

Post 21 Jul 2013, 17:58 • #92 
Guide
Thanks Andy,

I enjoy doing feather inlays. Maybe I can whip up a tutorial for the board if folks are interested.

'Cator

(Terry's Custom Rods)

Post 24 Jul 2013, 13:07 • #93 
Glass Fanatic
Feather inlays would make a nice tutorial. Often wondered how they're done. I am trying to get Fisher 2068 off my bench. It keeps sucking up varnish. Five coats and counting. Then glue the reel seat and wipe a quick coat of thin spar over the finished blank. A buff job and then shoot a few pics.

Post 24 Jul 2013, 16:18 • #94 
Glass Fanatic
Carl, is that a carbon grip on that 2pc. tadpole? 8o

Oh, ok I just reread that it is an eva grip. Ever since I have seen one of those new carbon grips, I have them on the brain.

Sorry,

Post 24 Jul 2013, 19:32 • #95 
Glass Fanatic
archfly wrote:
Carl, is that a carbon grip on that 2pc. tadpole? 8o

Oh, ok I just reread that it is an eva grip. Ever since I have seen one of those new carbon grips, I have them on the brain.

Sorry,

I would like to try a carbon grip, but I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do one for me. I priced it out before and it was between $30 and $50 for a carbon fiber grip.

This one is old school EVA. I bought the grip and turned it down on the drill press before putting it on the rod. By the time you start shaping the eva, you might as well go with cork. I find EVA harder to shape.

Carl

What's to be On mY Bench
Post 24 Jul 2013, 21:59 • #96 
Guide
I just received this a couple of days back ...
6'6" 3pc 3wt glass blank and the sliding band reel seat ... hope it will be on my working bench soon.. :D

fango

Post 25 Jul 2013, 06:59 • #97 
Glass Fanatic
I would love to see a feather enlay tutorial. I've done a couple but have never laid a feather over another; looks difficult-p-

Post 25 Jul 2013, 08:52 • #98 
Guide
I'm running a youth fly fishing camp this weekend but I have an order on the bench with a feather inlay so I'll work on that in the next couple of weeks.

'Cator
(Terry's Custom Rods)

Post 26 Jul 2013, 07:46 • #99 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I just got finished with the mills and sons restoration after a replacement tip, new male ferrule 146 double ought silk wraps lots of blood sweat and tears it's finally ready to get off my bench and go home.
Tight lines and actually great fun loops
Andy M

Post 26 Jul 2013, 09:59 • #100 
Glass Fanatic
Andy. Wow. That is gorgeous. Super nice work. I love the color and all the intermediate wraps. Grip is great looking.

While the final coat on on my Fisher blank is drying I'm stripping a Berkley Talisman.
Last night I shed the blank of oodles of size D thread and five three inch long sections of plastic underwraps. It appears that under the brown paint is a layer of black. Under that the raw blank is orangey brown showing glass weave. I hope to strip the paint this weekend. Will try to get some pictures up.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply