It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:30

Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's On Your Bench
Post 17 May 2020, 22:27 • #1976 
Guide
Several builds going right now. This one is a Ben's 7' 3wt I decided to keep, that I'm testing some new thread colors on. I don't build a lot of rods, and I spend a lot of time on the "design" phase, probably too much but I like that part. I also spend more time turning and finishing inserts than actually building. I can't get enough of getting a hold of different woods and seeing them come alive with varnish. Hence the collection, some I can't ever seem to match with a rod, some I've kept for a special build or just myself. I think I deviate from the norm in that I like the exotic and hardwoods. Maybe I'll unload some of them someday.

Post 17 May 2020, 23:31 • #1977 
Glass Fanatic
There is something about the grain/colors of certain woods that can be mesmerizing. And that doesn’t even get to the tactile aspects. I can relate.

Post 18 May 2020, 09:44 • #1978 
Master Guide
Those are nice! The one that is 5th from the left is kind of interesting looking. Seems like my eyes are drawn to it. What type of wood?

Bruce

Post 18 May 2020, 11:43 • #1979 
Guide
Preast, very nice seat inserts, post more if you can. Like Bruce, I also would like to know what wood the insert 5th from the left is turned from? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before.

Post 18 May 2020, 14:49 • #1980 
Guide
Thx guys. That one is snakewood. Funny you'd key in on that one--it's probably the one going on this rod. It has a very nice subtle amber shimmer underneath the pattern, even the spots show up at different angles. This pic is more accurate of the grain, although there also seem to be a lot of variation, as with all woods. It's a little pricey, very hard, and heavy, but I can afford a little weight using the LC14 seat on a 4pc 3wt.

What do you think? Only other candidate in the running is a piece of figured desert ironwood I haven't turned yet.

Post 18 May 2020, 15:18 • #1981 
Master Guide
Snakewood! Very nice! I like it even more now with the closeup photo. I can definitely see that on a flyrod, both fiberglass or bamboo.

Bruce

Post 18 May 2020, 19:39 • #1982 
Guide
That snake wood will go well with that blank you have. It would also match well with orange and black jasper on cane ;)
Ron

Post 19 May 2020, 07:39 • #1983 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful reel seats! I think the snakewood would work.

Post 22 May 2020, 03:35 • #1984 
Glass Fanatic
Gorgeous seats, and I agree - the snakewood is awesome looking!

Post 23 May 2020, 09:36 • #1985 
Glass Fanatic
I really must say how much I appreciate those who share their builds and methods on this thread. Just reading through all 80 pages of this thread would be a master class in rod building. My bench has been pretty busy this winter and spring, often inspired by the work you all are displaying here, so I thought I'd share the new rods I am getting to fish this spring.

First up, I decided to try out the new version of the Epic 580. I used a Lemke reel seat and a unique spalted maple insert that I found midway through the build that I liked so much that caused me to start over and re-think the whole aesthetic. This is my first custom grip, and I shaped it by hand, something I resolved never to do again.

After that, I built up a blem version of the new ********* IM6 graphite series. My blank is half-an-inch short on the tip section, and I messed up gluing up the reel seat and grip so that I had to cut another 1/8-inch off the butt to fix my error. I'm rounding down and calling it 8'8". This was also my first time shaping a grip on a lathe (i.e., my drill clamped to a couple of 2x4s). Another spalted maple insert paired with Lemke hardware.

Finally, I have a few of the ********* Western Glass series that I can't wait to take out. I've found these rods in 8'6" are really ideal for the waters I fish regularly. I'm a big fan of Dusty's tapers as they're really well-balanced and versatile. These weren't builds I had been planning for in the gear budget, so the goal was to use hardware I already had or wasn't too expensive. I plan on taking these into the backcountry a lot, so they'll get beat up a bit anyway.

First up, the 5-weight, then 6-weight, and finally a 3-weight.

I have one more project I hope to finish out before spring ends, so I'll post more when I get a chance.

Post 23 May 2020, 11:33 • #1986 
Guide
Wow, you've had a productive winter/spring. Great aesthetics on each rod and I especially like the use of the spalted maple on the Epic 580. Should be a blast trying each of those. I would like to know what metal seat you used on the ********* 6wt as I have future plans for a 10wt with natural/white blank and blue wraps.
Happy fish'n
Ron

Post 23 May 2020, 12:02 • #1987 
Glass Fanatic
GlacierRambler, those all look great!

Post 23 May 2020, 12:41 • #1988 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the kind words. These turned out really nicely, and I'm really pleased with them.

I also started using varnish for the first time on these rods (except the Epic), but I have to be honest, I've just been copying the look of many of the rods I see on this site. My ********* builds are only mild departures from Dusty's standard work. I spent so much time on the tipping for the Epic rod, that I didn't want to do any of that again for a while, using it only on the ferrule wraps and maybe a stripping guide every now and then.

Eastslope wrote:
I would like to know what metal seat you used on the ********* 6wt as I have future plans for a 10wt with natural/white blank and blue wraps.

I used the A5 All Metal Reel Seat sold by Custom Fly Rod Crafters, in the champagne-colored anodization. I like it a lot. I would be excited to see them release the same reel seat, but with an option for a wood insert. It's got nice aesthetics and holds well. I've thought about using it again on a lighter weight build, but flipping it around to make it downlocking with a small fighting butt (I really like those things).

Post 23 May 2020, 18:59 • #1989 
Master Guide
Wow is right, you have been a rod building machine. Your builds look amazing I really like the Epic your hand turned grip looks awesome. I am looking forward to the completion of your YS blank. I love ********* rods and can’t wait to get YS 9’ 4 piece 5 wt. kit but the latest incarnation of the Epic 580 is an amazing rod. Did you make the rod bags? They look great

Lanny

Last edited by Little kern golden on 23 May 2020, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post 23 May 2020, 19:57 • #1990 
Guide
Thanks Glacier, I will check those seats out. As for the tipping on the Epic, yes it must have taken a lot of work but the results look great and you should be particularly proud of that one.
Ron

Post 23 May 2020, 20:31 • #1991 
Guide
That's really good stuff Rambler! I like your signature work too!

Post 25 May 2020, 10:16 • #1992 
Guide
Like GlacierRambler I’ve been unusually busy this winter/spring. For the most part unplanned builds; a friend stops over with a half dozen blanks from a local blank maker for us to pick through and put up on the deflection board for assessment; a For Sale blank from here on the forum; and then another that shows up in the mail.

The rod I’m working on now is a DryFly/Haldin blank that is exclusively available through http://www.DryFly.co.uk. It’s a four section 8’2” five weight blank that I acquired around a month ago. Upon receipt the blank was mocked up for test casting in the back yard, and I would describe its action as medium-fast (for fiberglass). With grip, guides and reel taped in place, I was able to form loops nicely without much thought, using my 406 DT5 line. Based upon this test casting I believe the finished rod will fish well with that line. My impression is that this rod may be a good transition rod for someone coming over from graphite due to its light weight, and its casting action.

As for the build, I initially decided to use components I had on hand - bright guides and reel seat skeleton, and some 5/16" cork rings. I selected one of my dark walnut inserts as to not clash with the blank color and the threads I’d selected. Then I looked at a recently acquired yellow/black dyed burl wood turning blank on my bench and decided to turn it for this rod. This led to ordering a dark nickel reel seat skeleton and dark nickel snake guides and tip top. Project delayed, but I believe I made the right decision.

While waiting for my reel seat finish to cure I completed the top three sections including three epoxy applications. As of this morning, I have the final application of epoxy on the butt section. Pretty much a straight forward fiberglass build, but in my case I reduced the butt section outside diameter to better accommodate the inside diameter of my wood reel seat insert.

Jeff

Post 25 May 2020, 12:01 • #1993 
Guide
I really like your combination of wraps on this particular rod. Stunning. Nice cork too - do you turn cork directly on the blank or on a mandrel?
Ron

Post 25 May 2020, 12:04 • #1994 
Guide
Thank you Ron, I've never attempted turning cork on the blank. I feel much more comfortable knowing that if the grip I turn on a mandrel doesn't meet my expectations I can simply not use it for this rod, and perhaps modify it for another rod.

Jeff

Post 25 May 2020, 12:35 • #1995 
Guide
Jeff I'm really really liking that jasper accent. Nice! And ditto for me on the cork turning. I use pretty good cork but either I'd screw it up, or that void will show up just in the wrong spot. I am about to try to take a grip down a bit that I've already glued up, so we'll see how that goes.

Post 25 May 2020, 16:32 • #1996 
Glass Fanatic
Hello All
Thank You Everyone For Such Bountiful Bench Offerings So Wonderfully Shared !!!
Looks Like Folks Have Been Very Busy.

Must apologize for my sudden departure mid projects some 10 or so days ago.
Not to worry it wasn't anything anyone said,I've been under the weather sort of dancing to a different beat.
My Tickers Been Acting Up Again.

Before my departure had started 3 new projects and was finishing up 2 others putting on the finishing touches.
I'll be picking up where things left off soon enough,had planned on sharing photo's of my projects and took many photo's on the last day at the bench.

You see I share my work here in almost real time usually the same day or the next day as the work is being done.
The Point Of Whats On Your Bench Is The Actual Work In Process.
Anyone whom has ever had rod work done by me knows this is how I have worked for years,ever keeping the clients involved with his or her projects in real time or as close to the work as possible.
Guess I'm Just Old Fashioned .

So Much so back In the Old Days I Used Poloroid Photo's and Hand Written Notes to document the work.
That's My Tip For Today ;)

The Herters Bamboo Rod I was looking at for my friend is nearly finished,the ferrule was reworked,re qualified fitting amazingly well for brass.
The thread repair work is done, all that's left now is a reel seat exchange.

At some point someone switched out the original Herters Reel Seat with a lousy aluminum replacement.
Just so happens in my hoard of rod making components I have a New Old Stock Herters Reel Seat Complete With The Faded Price Tag.
It's not nearly as pretty as some of the stuff you have been using,however for this rod its just what it needs to become original & whole again.

The 8' Herters Cane Rod came in with a loud clicking ferrule,the ferrule also would not seat fully.
The click was so prominent you could feel it in the grip when casting the rod.
If You held the rod and flexed it by the grip and ferrule it sent vibrations into your hand.
Upon removing the Female 1/2 of Ferrule from the blank it was clear why the ferrule wouldn't seat.
someone had used a prick punch to tighten the ferrule.
That had actually split the blank by causing the splines to separate.

Will not go into all the details of the bamboo blank repairs those are better saved for elsewhere.
The ferrule was reworked and re qualified back to it's original condition less the tarnish.
Next the reel seat will be swapped,then the rod can go home to fish back in my old stomping grounds ;)

Fiberglass 7'6" 2/1 Jenkins P.L.G. 5 Weight currently in process at one of my work stations,so far the grip was turned, the reel seat fitted,ferrule support ring made,fitted,guides selected and prepared.
I'm going to share "My Special Jenkins Thread" with you,this is something I only have shown to or offered to Custom Jenkins P.L.G.Rod Seekers.
Think you will agree The Colors Really Pop against the Blank Color. :eek
These colors work like Black And Silver Jaspers does on a black blank another favorite.
All that's left now is about 3 hours of thread work and this rod will be in final finish.

The Carbon Fiber O.Y.R.S. 8' 3/1 4/5 Weight was also finished I'll get some pictures of the completed rod in my next rod photo session.
For now this was the final touches the dust plugs being made and fitted.

Before walking away from my bench the last doings were on the H.I. Cascade I'm remaking for my 9 year old Grandson.
Allot of work already went into this blank stripping,refinishing,re-gripping,the fancy reel seat,re-fitting the ferrules,straightening the blank sections lots and lots of work getting everything ready for thread work.
Managed to get the Butt section thread work completed 10 or so days ago.
The first coat of Color Preserver has been applied to the Gudebrod Size A Nylon Spring Green Thread.
The Can Of C.P. in the photo's has been used on countless rods,occasionally I have to thin the material with some Lacquer Thinner.
This is the C.P. I use on most Nylons when looking for my color to be spot on. :P
The Use Of Green Rubberized or Bonded cork as we used to call it was to get the green theme throughout.
The shape of the grip may be strange by your standards,however it's specifically custom made to a 9 year olds hand.
As my Grandson grows and his hand becomes larger he only need change the location of his griping.
Custom Made.
Reel Seat By Ray Lee.
No Winding Check Needed.
Salvaged Strippers Rock !
OOOOOOOOOOOO That Smell :x
Wet.
Color Samples :(

Thanks again for all your contributions,unfortunately my time here is going to be less again,I truly hope I helped everyone get through a unmentionable period for us all !! I'm currently being pulled in many directions all of them away from my Rod Making Benches,I'll do my best to get more up as the current projects finish up.
At this time I don't see myself starting any new projects however.
As always if anyone needs my help please don't hesitate to reach out,I'll always do what I can to help a friend or fellow Rod Maker .

Tight Lines And Finishing Up Loops
Andy Man :)

Post 25 May 2020, 19:05 • #1997 
Glass Fanatic
Jeff - love that reel seat!

Andy - glad the ticker is doing well. The PLG wrap color is awesome, love that grandson grip, and the Ray Lee insert!

Post 26 May 2020, 10:16 • #1998 
Guide
I agree the "Special Jenkins Thread" is eye popping on that rod. Perfect match.
The old Gudebrod Color Preserver darkens the thread a bit similar to Varathane 900 or other polyurethane might. Love that green thread!

Post 26 May 2020, 11:22 • #1999 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thank you for all your kindness ! It's Very Much Appreciated.
My Little Guy is going to be a very happy camper for sure,Last Summer We Built him and his older brother both rods.He Built a Jenkins P.L.G. 7'6" 2/1 His Brother A 7'6" 2/1 O.Y.R.S. Carbon Based Rod.
They Are Both Graduating To Bamboo This Summer.

The Right Color Thread Really Makes All The Difference.
I'm not a fan big fan of what I call tooty fruity loud colors,Leaning more toward natural earth tones,flora & flowers also heavily influence my color choices.

Speaking of Color

When Wet Gudebrod Color Preservative Darkens,The Common Mistake is not allowing enough time between coats,if the previous coat isn't fully evaporated you will get a skewed color.
As you can see in this mornings Photo the treated thread allowed 24 hours between coats as recommended is very color true.
Recommend the use a hypodermic needle to inject the C.P. Down the Rabbit Holes ;)

LOOKING DEEPER INTO MY FRIENDS BAMBOO FLY ROD
Finished up the Herters Reel Seat Swap this morning,Used the Dremal to cut the imitation reel seat off.
Used foam arbors/shims actually made to address sizing for proper fitting reel seats,before these were offered we used cork and sized the cork to take up extra space to get snug fits.

All this Nonsense we see resizing for reel seat fitting seems excessive to me,most of the time proper sizing can be achieved without all that hacking.

This swap was very straight forward,when the poor choice of a replacement reel seat was fitted they also added one cork ring obviously because the replacement seat was about 3/4" short,they made up 1/2" with the extra ring and left the rod 1/4-3/8" short.

The extra ring was removed,the grip is now restored to it's original length as is the rod.
The N.O.S. Herters Reel Seat Fit/Sized Perfectly like the rod was made to have this reel seat.
Can you imagine ?

I actually understand why this rod was butchered,can't tell you how many English Made Rods have shown up at my stoop with people asking for something more like what they see on American made rods.

Over 5 decades I have listened to many experts claim all sorts of disdain for the Rubber Bottom English Style Seats,Usually The False Claims Of Excessive Weight.
Just for Shirts & Giggles I Weighed Both Seats. :evil

Like The Rubber Bottoms They Really Protect The Butt.Covering Your Butt Is Not Just An English Trait. :lol
Between This mornings rod work and key board time now my Very Stern Nurse is shutting me down by calling me to lunch.
I'll post these pictures now and say farewell for today.
Check Out The Extra Cork Ring Before Removal.
All Cleaned Up,These Seats Have Been In My Stuff Since 1972.
1/2 Ounce
Peeled Like A Banana :D
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
FIN
Tight Lines And Keep It Simple Loops
Andy Man

Post 26 May 2020, 19:09 • #2000 
Sport
Very nice work! The wood insert is true craftsmanship.

Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 87  Next New Topic Add Reply